People that claim to play vanilla

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next
08/15/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Animagi
You didn't "play vanilla". You heard about how hard it was and how different it was back then and you thought it would be cool to throw yourself in with the cool kids. The fact is, no one that played vanilla would even touch today's wow. Ask a real old school player what they think about wow in 2018 and see if you don't get laughed out of the room.

My account was created in October of 2005. I started off playing a human Retribution Paladin. I had to suffer through the mechanic of Seal/Judgment/Re-Seal in every fight for 60 levels. I saw my first Epic that I thought was awesome, the Fiery War Axe, and farmed like crazy for it after checking Thottbot for where it dropped. I didn't realize that since it was a world drop, "farming" for it was an exercise in frustration. My guildmates bought it for me off the AH, and it was later replaced with Kang the Decapitator.

I had to deal with being put in the healer group in our Molten Core runs and told to cleanse, because Retadin DPS was in such a sorry state back then.

Oh look: there's Mor'ladim in Raven Hill Cemetery, a level 35 elite wandering around while I'm questing in my mid 20s.

Ironforge? No, Lagforge. It was our only Auction House. The number of times I pitched headfirst into that trench in Ironforge due to the slideshow the lag made of it can't be counted.

Yeah, guys, sorry, I'm still out farming for fire resist gear. I'll join you in Molten Core next week.

Oh look, someone else just discovered Katrana Prestor is Onyxia. All of Stormwind is gonna hear about it (again).

I played Classic.

I'm still here.
You didn't "play vanilla". You heard about how hard it was and how different it was back then and you thought it would be cool to throw yourself in with the cool kids. The fact is, no one that played vanilla would even touch today's wow. Ask a real old school player what they think about wow in 2018 and see if you don't get laughed out of the room.

Someone above didn’t play vanilla wow.

Vanilla WoW was not “hard”.
The notion that grind/time sinks = hard is blatantly false.

The best thing about vanilla was the immersion and leveling experience.

End game was pretty meh. If you cared about raiding, that was meh until BC.
08/16/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Ohmygolygosh
08/16/2018 07:02 AMPosted by Kalfou
Vanilla was fun because it was new. The game is vastly better now.

Nice opinion.

I speak the truth.
Started playing last month and I think this game has really gone downhill since BFA.
/raiseshand
I played.
Source: check my transmog

Cheers.
https://i2.wp.com/gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

umm thanks for your opinion? plenty of "old school" players that are playing WoW today.
Started this game when I was 30 years old. I'm 44 now. Have been around for every expansion, except MoP. Take frequent breaks from it, but yeah, I played Vanilla and raided MC and BWL on my combat rogue. I remember.
Please stop putting vanilla players on some pedestal like they're elevated life forms. "A TRUE vanilla player would not touch today's filth". This is one of the most ridiculous claims i've seen on these forums.

Also, stop treating Vanilla like it was the end all, be all of online gaming. It wasn't. It was a grindfest of minimal content that the average player could actually do. It's not that the content was sooooo difficult, it was the grind gating everybody. Finding people attuned to raids who also had all the correct gear for it was a challenge. Guild sniping was a huge problem.
Stupid post....untrue trash talk.
08/16/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Averax
Please stop putting vanilla players on some pedestal like they're elevated life forms. "A TRUE vanilla player would not touch today's filth". This is one of the most ridiculous claims i've seen on these forums.

Also, stop treating Vanilla like it was the end all, be all of online gaming. It wasn't.

It was for it's time. There is a reason WoW blew up the way it did.

But the idea that it was a better game then than it is now is just ridiculous.
08/15/2018 10:02 PMPosted by Goldbrand
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/khazgoroth/goldbrand/achievements/legacy/player-vs-player

For the short-attention span who don't bother understanding why vanilla WoW was the "best", it wasn't because of technical issues. It had a lot of bugs, class imbalance, broken mechanics, even worse server instabilities, 8-hour maintenances, etc.

It was the best, because it was new to us back then, and the world was filled with people who interacted with one another. And even though it suffered bad growing pains, it did not nullify the experience.

That, was why it was great. Nowadays, you suffer a 4 hour server downtime, and you are ready to quit. Maybe this expansion isn't that great if you're all too ready to quit at the first sign of discomfort.
Day 1. THIS. And I have been unsubbed longer than subbed so when I get tired of it just take a break. The duration of time back is getting shorter as my tolerance for Bliz enforced (vs my choice) grinds is getting lower.
08/16/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Averax

Also, stop treating Vanilla like it was the end all, be all of online gaming. It wasn't. It was a grindfest of minimal content that the average player could actually do. It's not that the content was sooooo difficult, it was the grind gating everybody. Finding people attuned to raids who also had all the correct gear for it was a challenge. Guild sniping was a huge problem.

As much fun Vanilla was, true MMORPG players back then looked at WoW (Vanilla) like some Vanilla snobs look at Todays WoW. It Truth EQ was to Vanilla what Vanilla is to todays WoW.

I came to WoW because Vanilla was the "Hello Kitty" of the MMORPG world. I mean anyone could level to cap, SOLO!. How much more casual can you get?

Hearing players try to say how hardcore Vanilla was shows how little they really know about MMORPGs.
OP fires off a troll post like a Friday night knuckle-child and generates 10 pages of response - not one reply from OP. lol
08/15/2018 09:50 PMPosted by Constellas
Um, I played it. It was good for it’s time. Definitely would not hold up to today’s gaming standards? This becomes more evident with each successive expansion.

After visiting Boralus, Drustvar and Stormsong, the original zones are so static and bromide by comparison. I really think they need to start developing a WoW 2 so that all content is up to today’s standards - however, I know that will never happen. The world has changed and the industry has changed - I am not sure there is much incentive to develop a new MMO.

Why does a game need to be "today’s standards" in order to be fun to play?

Just what is "today’s standards"? Those change almost daily. What is considered great in the computing world, changes in a month or two.

Why do you think that people still play the original Zelda and Super Mario Brothers? Not because they are "today’s standards" but because they are still fun to play after 33 years.

A game does NOT have requirements that cause you to have to buy a new pc in order to play it to be fun.

SMB was only 32 KILOBYTES and sold over 40 MILLION copies. What games with "today’s standards" can or have done that?
This character was created vanilla launch day. Vanilla was unbelievably good, it just blew away any other online game.

That said, it would be considered a really bad game in today's standards. Don't let nostalgia blind you.
08/15/2018 09:48 PMPosted by Rimink
lol 0/10

does a 0/10 troll get 10 pages of replies? need to work on your rating ability
08/16/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Kalfou
08/16/2018 07:07 AMPosted by Ohmygolygosh

Nice opinion.

I speak the truth.

Again, an opinion lol.

Just because your favorite color is red, doesn't mean mine is.

Sweet bait, I'll bite!

No, a real old school WoW player will tell you Vietnam tales of how you think you want it, but no really you don't. Vanilla wasn't hard, it was time consuming. Just like I say for this current leveling, time does not equate difficulty, just tedium. Raiding was not hard, it was just between forty people and everyone using potato quality computers there is this illusion of difficulty. Rotations back then could be set on a cast sequence macro and you could step away. I knew people who would walk away mid fight and being told to adjust. In today if someone did that in mythic you'd die.

Yes, current WoW is casual compared to it. But you need to be a masochist to want to grind your face against the curb and ask daddy blizzard to do it again this time with your teeth pressed against it. Also most people didnt just quit because it got easier, it was the fact MMOs got stale. You can only dance the same jig for so long before it gets old as you yourself got older.
I don't even know why I'm relying but yes, I played in vanilla. Circa 1.12 just before Gates of Ahn Quiraj event. I enjoyed it, a lot. However I have also enjoyed the progression and evolutions and COUNTLESS improvements since then. I would possibly not still enjoy this game as much as I do without all these years of new features and additions. SO far, BfA has been the most enjoyable launch of an Pac yet!