People that claim to play vanilla

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 Next
Achievements > Legacy > PvP > Sergeant Major

Looking forward to classic servers.

I honestly don't know why people think it's impossible to like what are basically two different games.
08/16/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Dork
I honestly don't know why people think it's impossible to like what are basically two different games.

It's more you aren't allowed to like retail because any change made after Vanilla RUINED THE GAME!!!! or whatever.

The Classic forum is a fun read to see some real head cases.
I did play in vanilla and still am.....
08/15/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Animagi
You didn't "play vanilla". You heard about how hard it was and how different it was back then and you thought it would be cool to throw yourself in with the cool kids. The fact is, no one that played vanilla would even touch today's wow. Ask a real old school player what they think about wow in 2018 and see if you don't get laughed out of the room.

Or there were 3 to 4x MORE people playing wow back in the day than there are now so the majority of players currently subbed probably did play back in ye olden times.
Vanilla player here, still enjoy wow . It is a totally different game, i personally don't enjoy the pruning of skills and talents, and how the game have been watered down , but i still have fun !

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/stormrage/erna/achievements/legacy/player-vs-player
08/16/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Paeldryth
08/16/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Dork

It's more you aren't allowed to like retail because any change made after Vanilla RUINED THE GAME!!!! or whatever.

The Classic forum is a fun read to see some real head cases.

My comment goes both ways. Liking retail doesn't make you a dirty casual baby and liking classic doesn't make you a deluded rose-tinted goggled nostalgia hound.
You didn't "play vanilla". You heard about how hard it was and how different it was back then and you thought it would be cool to throw yourself in with the cool kids. The fact is, no one that played vanilla would even touch today's wow. Ask a real old school player what they think about wow in 2018 and see if you don't get laughed out of the room.

I love today's WoW, loved Vanilla, and was there as well. I think my toons mog proves that much. Are we considered "cool kids"?
08/16/2018 07:56 AMPosted by Cambraddon
OP fires off a troll post like a Friday night knuckle-child and generates 10 pages of response - not one reply from OP. lol

Yeah I’ve pointed that out several times but people MUST prove their vanillaness to a troll.

I bet he’s laughing his butt off. I would be.
<looks @ my Eye of Shadow and Benediction>
<looks @ my human priest and all her Prophecy gear>
<wonders if I maybe hallucinated that 12-hour BRD run, coordinated idol-activation in ST, and healing my idiot Alliance potato guild through all of ZG...>

Damn. That was one hell of a hallucination. I need to lay off the caffeine.
08/15/2018 09:48 PMPosted by Zelgardis
I played vanilla, it was great because it was fresh and new, there was no concept of an “end game”, and we did whatever.

My personal problem with wow is how formulaic it is, it’s the same things every single expansion, rush to level cap, and do raids, rinse and repeat.

True. Leveing WAS the game.

But regarding the rush to level cap - Blizz did not create that culture. Rather a certain subset of players did - namely, those who complained about how hard leveling was and then complained that there was nothing to do once they hit the level cap.

LOL.

You can tell if you are one of those people by whether or not you are angry with Blizz about pathfinder.

There are now 3 games, at least: the leveling game, the non-raid endgame, and raiding.
08/16/2018 08:12 AMPosted by Sylvan
BfA has been the most enjoyable launch of an Pac yet!

You're level 110 lol

Played since vanilla and still play to this day but I'm looking forward to wow classic
08/16/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Animagi

You're level 110 lol

Please teach me your ways.
What?! I’ve been playing on this character on Frostwolf since Vanilla. I created this character the 2nd day the game came out in 2004 (first day I couldn’t log in). Half way through Vanilla I joined a guild named the Brotherhood of the Wolf and the best Horde guild on my server during that time was Shadows of the Horde. I still have the hard copy collectors edition of the game, and I even played in beta before Vanilla was released.

... And WoW right now is different from back then, but it is still awesome!!! Legion was one of my favorite expansions and BfA is going real well so far. You can get down from your podium now...
OP is entitled to his opinion. But bar room opinions are typically just that. If the shear number of people that have already responded to this thread (myself included) indicating that they did in fact play in vanilla and are still playing today doesn't make him/her understand how completely inaccurate their statement was, I'm not sure anything will.

Vanilla WoW was great back then, but that was a different time. Game development changes based on a lot of different input. The player base changes and doesn't want punishing mechanics that are not fun. The developers learn from years of experience and the iterative process gets more and more refined. As a result, the game naturally transforms to adapt to these things.

Nostalgia for the past is fine, but personally speaking, having played in vanilla and for some measure of time in all expansions since, I don't think WoW has ever been better than it is right now.

Guess my vanilla Feats of Strength are just imaginary
The mmo scene was popular at the starting days of WoW. Being able to play a video game online and talk to people at the same time was kind of revolutionary. Today's youth grows up being able to connect on Facebook/twitter and play online mobile games that provide this same feature.
08/16/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Animagi

You're level 110 lol

... Maybe someone will explain to you.
The fact is, no one that played vanilla would even touch today's wow.

I guess I'm no one then.

And unlike most people here I actually remember it. Given that I actually remember vanilla I wouldn't go back even if you payed me.

Spending 3 days losing one game of AV ain't something I wanna go back to. Nor do I want to go back to a world of warcraft with no group finder. That was a very hard world for people with social anxiety.
I know you're baiting but whatever.

Vanilla player here. Started in late 2005ish, back when I was a senior in high school. I will gladly take today's WoW over vanilla. I can actually play the game and get something accomplished while having a job and a life. Try doing that with any first-generation MMORPG.

The only thing I miss about vanilla WoW is the social aspect. You were forced to work with other players on your server. Server communities barely exist anymore.