A Handbook on High Elf Argumentation

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 26 Next
08/31/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Mythlos
I want High Elf Shaman connected to the Wildhammer.

I'd personally never play one (Nothing will top Dark Iron), but it would be interesting lore-building.

I have never liked the idea of High Elf Shaman, but the idea proposed like that is silky smooth. Did not consider the lodge's proximity to the Wildhammer a possible method of learning shamanism for 'em. You could also say some turned to the elements as an alternative to relying on magic in any form.
400% speculative and I don't think that particular thing would happen personally, but I definitely like your interpretation of it and I'd play one if they were a thing. It'd have to compete with my upcoming Zandalari Shaman for playtime, though.
I also do find the idea of a High Elf Shaman intriguing as well. As mentioned they could be Quel'danil Elves who learned from the Wildhammer. It would also give us an Elven Shaman race.

I also like the idea of High Elf Druids, perhaps as a result with allying with the Night Elves. Have the High Elves approach the now homeless Night Elves and propose combining forces to retake Quel'thalas in exchange for allowing the Night Elves to settle in their kingdom. It would make for a great waterfront idea as well.

Throw in Void Elves and San'layn for a full Elven civil war.

High Elves could also have Paladins from training with the Draenei in Quel'danil.
@Selesnya: Personally, I prefer Shaman over Druid, just because I think the combination of High Elf + Shaman would pretty much kill any interest in any other Druid race, and I like the idea of the High Elves picking up something a bit different and unusual and introducing a new form of magic into their arsenal in a step away from Blood Elves.

Also, High Elf Paladins exist in lore already. They were one of the earliest non-human races allowed into the Silver Hand iirc - never in large numbers, mind you, but it was still a thing.
08/31/2018 03:34 PMPosted by Yarrow
08/30/2018 04:55 PMPosted by Moonfalls
Here is what it boils down to. High Elves have been the most requested new Alliance race since vanilla WoW. Blizz and Ion hate the Alliance and its players. They aren't going to give us something we actually want.

This seems to be it.

Blizzard is supposedly under financial pressure now, though, so there's still hope. Sure, half the existing blood elves are people who actually wanted to play Alliance high elves - the half that would reroll to Alliance if high elves were permitted. But there's probably an equal number of people who eventually gave up on the game because they knew that blood elves were basically a cheap excuse for high elves. Those people would come back to the game if high elves were introduced.

That would probably give the game a 15% subscription boost. How long can Blizzard keep turning that down to preserve their prejudices in favor of the Horde?

Now introducing high elves would no doubt change overall faction imbalance toward the Alliance, possibly as badly as the 60/40 we saw in Vanilla. But you know what? It doesn't matter. Faction balance only ever mattered on PVP servers, and there aren't any PVP servers any more. The only place faction balance actually matters - casual battleground queues - would be much improved by more Alliance players.

The faction imbalance right now is 70/30 in favor of horde it's literally worse than we ever saw in vanilla.
High elves are no where near as cool as dark iron dwarves, but if you guys really want to play one I think you should have the option
I wonder though, Alerria says in the embassy that "We will retake Silvermoon one day, I just know it" and if/when that happens, we get High elves.
Upvoted for detailed thread. Blizzard won't give us high elves because they like to make stupid and unpopular decisions and then stick to them for several years until we forget, but I support this nonetheless
If the fel infused blood elves never joined the horde and rejoined the alliance, would the the outcry for playable high elves still exist? Thinking.
08/31/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Xathra
The faction imbalance right now is 70/30 in favor of horde it's literally worse than we ever saw in vanilla.

That's a pretty bold claim, but can you back it up? The two census sites I know of say its a 53%H/47%A split (Warcraft Realms) and 50.4%A/48%H split (Realm Pop)

09/01/2018 12:04 AMPosted by Ashlar
If the fel infused blood elves never joined the horde and rejoined the alliance

Eyes changing due to fel exposure =! drinking demon blood. Both Belf/Helf should have golden eyes now anyway, unless they explicitly refused to ever return to the sunwell/quel'thalas.

08/31/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Reeven
And San'layn for the Horde, because they rock.

The San'layn get exterminated by the alliance during their war campaign, but not before they slaughter their own allies to heal themselves/power up.

On topic: For everyone who says "If looking the same is the problem, just change them" - Why would they look different?

This is a serious question. We're talking about one singular race that only split from each other 15~ years ago due to political reasons.

Why would that mutate/transform/alter what you look like? 15 years of living in stormwind and they get blue tribal tattoos, and dark skin? They look like humans now, with elf ears?

Dark Troll + Well of Eternity = Nelf
Nelf + Sunwell = Belf
Nelf + Nightwell = NBorne
Helf/Belf + Void = Velf

Helf/Belf + political differences = Something different, somehow?
Kul Tirans and baseline humans have literally been portrayed by all three body types where the average is more prevalent among baseline humans where as the larger and smaller types are shown amongst the Kul Tiran.

There is literally zero need to make any justification for High Elves recieving a new model either. It's simply reinvention for the sake of game mechanics and aesthetic.

This isn't to say adequate reasoning hasn't already been given in the face of other ARs.
That's a pretty bold claim, but can you back it up? The two census sites I know of say its a 53%H/47%A split (Warcraft Realms) and 50.4%A/48%H split (Realm Pop)

If you adjust the filter on Warcraft Realms to only include max-level players (120), the split is 44% Alliance to 56% Horde. While not even close to what was asserted, it's definitely worse than it was in the original iteration of the game by several percentage points.

09/01/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Selesnya
Kul Tirans and baseline humans have literally been portrayed by all three body types where the average is more prevalent among baseline humans where as the larger and smaller types are shown amongst the Kul Tiran.

There is literally zero need to make any justification for High Elves recieving a new model either. It's simply reinvention for the sake of game mechanics and aesthetic.

This isn't to say adequate reasoning hasn't already been given in the face of other ARs.

This is further reinforced by the stylistic departure seen from the only HE in the game who utilizes a custom model, Alleria Windrunner.
my suggestion is to make naga playable after the raid, but they are decursed back into high elves, and you select which faction you want to play them on (similar to the panda) but they only have a couple possible classes they can play - and the faction they choose determines how they look (exotic or clasical. exotic=horde. classical=alliance).

they look like modern day belves but with bright blue-aqua eyes (no gold or green), and their hair colors are relegated to neon colors like the naga scales (bright pink (not death knight pink but actual bright pink), bright green, bright blue, bright purple) - almost glow in the dark neon colors. residual effects from being naga remain but they otherwise look like belves. maybe their ears are fin like instead of rabbit like.

if horde, their skin tones are more dramatic, with brighter markings.
if alliance, their skin tones are more subdued with dimmer markings.
change up their idling and casting animations.
09/01/2018 12:50 AMPosted by Fyyrsing

If you adjust the filter on Warcraft Realms to only include max-level players (120), the split is 44% Alliance to 56% Horde. While not even close to what was asserted, it's definitely worse than it was in the original iteration of the game by several percentage points.

09/01/2018 12:45 AMPosted by Selesnya

This is further reinforced by the stylistic departure seen from the only HE in the game who utilizes a custom model, Alleria Windrunner.

https://image.ibb.co/nzDH3n/Nozdormu_and_Soridormi_High_Elves.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/dnNKdn/tumblr_mo9riz_Sv_Vw1s775lso1_1280.png

Fat/Skinny Kul'tirans
Lodge/Kirin'Tor Quel'dorei
The only way both sides would be happy is if ally had the high elves and unded had a skin feature like blightcaller
09/01/2018 01:29 AMPosted by Caìn
The only way both sides would be happy is if ally had the high elves and unded had a skin feature like blightcaller

Nah undead customizations are sorely needed but that won't stop the rage. I would love to see skeletal warriors and revenants too though. Revenants would be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick ... omfg.

https://bit.ly/2wz2hsr

Customization could be their elemental type. Would be a totally unique model style, like a Djinn or Ethereal. I'd almost faction change for a skeletal warrior but a revenant I'd mayyybe drop my hunter for. Some of my favorite old arcana from WoW.
what do you think of the idea of some of the allied races having only 1 or 2 classes they can play? like highly exclusive so they aren't overpopulated. there would be alot more wiggle room for variation in allied race choices if there were some other feature that hindered overgrowth
I'm already a high elf.
09/01/2018 01:50 AMPosted by Shynn
I'm already a high elf.

120 Blood Elf Demon Hunter
Let me hit one more point to derail the argument against High elves in the alliance one more time.

Do you know whats different between the trolls we have now and the zandalari trolls we are getting? Absolutely nothing. They were identical in every way to the trolls we have now up until blizzard announced BFA where they would have a new model and DESIGN so that they could be different enough to be its own allied race.

Man if only blizzard could do the same thing with high elves and blood elves...oh wait, they can.

Editing to add this point: Give the ALLIANCE High elves that have shorter ears + celtic/runic tattoos + blue eyes. Boom new allied HIGH elf race. Why shorter ears you might ask, they have been breeding with humans obviously, then we can have jokes about how blood elves look down on them for being impure "High elves"
09/01/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Bumblebears
Let me hit one more point to derail the argument against High elves in the alliance one more time.

Do you know whats different between the trolls we have now and the zandalari trolls we are getting? Absolutely nothing. They were identical in every way to the trolls we have now up until blizzard announced BFA where they would have a new model and DESIGN so that they could be different enough to be its own allied race.

Man if only blizzard could do the same thing with high elves and blood elves...oh wait, they can.

Editing to add this point: Give the ALLIANCE High elves that have shorter ears + celtic/runic tattoos + blue eyes. Boom new allied HIGH elf race. Why shorter ears you might ask, they have been breeding with humans obviously, then we can have jokes about how blood elves look down on them for being impure "High elves"

Maybe High Elves can have different antlers? :)