Spammable CC

Arenas
So I've noticed that warlock has a significantly expensive Mana cost when it comes to how fear operates.. there is a discrepancy here which I don't think needs to go unadressed.

Cyclone and polymorph if I'm not mistaken or spammable as well (being that nothing has changed since prepatch)

To compensate can we make polymorph and cyclone that don't have a global cooldown have the same expense as fear ? Or at the very least lower the Mana cost of gear to that of poly/clone ?...

If their Mana cost had been increased, then disregard this post
08/12/2018 04:03 AMPosted by Thenugent
disregard this post

Will do!
It’s because Legion is over so they can’t summon demons that easily from the nether. This stress situation has caused warlocks to mess up on their fear spell casting and therefore uses more mana.
08/12/2018 04:08 AMPosted by Kolohotsaus
08/12/2018 04:03 AMPosted by Thenugent
disregard this post

Will do!

Thanks for the bump
:^)

08/12/2018 04:08 AMPosted by Mathematicss
It’s because Legion is over so they can’t summon demons that easily from the nether. This stress situation has caused warlocks to mess up on their fear spell casting and therefore uses more mana.

Good for RP, bad for gameplay.
Poly should definitely cost 10% mana.
You can not compare cyclone to fear to poly. Three very different spells, even if neither have a CD.

Cyclone you cannot attack or heal the target.

Fear damage can break the spell.

Poly heals the target.

And then the classes themselves play different.
Fear mana cost just got reduced from 15% to 10%.

I do think that this is a good time to talk about spammable cc though. At 120 when games are longer, you can definitely feel the impact of the gcd changes both with kicks and dispels. It seems like the relative strength of spammable cc has gone up and you’ll inevitably sit more of it. Particularly poly and clone as boomkin and mage actually get opportunities to get those casts off.
08/12/2018 04:53 AMPosted by Abombanation
Make poly cost a humble 5% mana but the mana cost applies as soon as the mage uses the ability and not just on successful casts. That way rmps finally would have to do a bit more than the idiot proof "cast poly 10 times till 1 lands / burst / reset / rinse and repeat".
No h0m0.
08/12/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Scoobydooxd
08/12/2018 04:53 AMPosted by Abombanation
Make poly cost a humble 5% mana but the mana cost applies as soon as the mage uses the ability and not just on successful casts. That way rmps finally would have to do a bit more than the idiot proof "cast poly 10 times till 1 lands / burst / reset / rinse and repeat".
No h0m0.

I agree it should require some skill and cost resources to cast Poly.
Over the 14 years this game has existed, there has always been people crying about "spammable" CC, i.e. castable CC, yet very little has been done. Do you know why? Because Blizzard understands that there isn't a problem with the abilities. Because 9/10 times the people crying about the abilities have never even created a mage, druid, or warlock let alone play them to relatively high MMR.

The abilities fit in the kits of the classes. They all have downsides. They all have to be casted. They all are required for set-ups. They are not stuns which are by far the most powerful CCs in the game. They are not instant. They simply aren't a problem. Period.

The only problematic CCs left in the game are blanket silences. Outside of that, everything else is fine. But at some point this upcoming season, another one of these threads will be made.

The cycle of life.
08/12/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Notorious
Over the 14 years this game has existed, there has always been people crying about "spammable" CC, i.e. castable CC, yet very little has been done. Do you know why? Because Blizzard understands that there isn't a problem with the abilities. Because 9/10 times the people crying about the abilities have never even created a mage, druid, or warlock let alone play them to relatively high MMR.

The abilities fit in the kits of the classes. They all have downsides. They all have to be casted. They all are required for set-ups. They are not stuns which are by far the most powerful CCs in the game. They are not instant. They simply aren't a problem. Period.

The only problematic CCs left in the game are blanket silences. Outside of that, everything else is fine. But at some point this upcoming season, another one of these threads will be made.

The cycle of life.

Only blanket silences left are garrote, spider sting, solarbeam, and shadowpriest silence though. Solarbeam requires a root to be an effective blanket, spider sting works on the next offensive spell cast only (so mostly only usable on dps unless you predict a healer is using an offensive spell during that time).

Shadowpriests don't actually have an interrupt, and is a big part of their set ups for pressure which makes them unique. Mostly only gets used on a healer, either for a set up or just to cover a dispellable cc on dps such as fear.

Garrote only works from stealth for mut rogues, and they also have the least CC of the rogue specs.

Personally I think most blanket silences are in line nowadays.
08/12/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Dillon
Personally I think most blanket silences are in line nowadays.

I'm just pointing out that if there was a CC in the game that deserved complaining about, it will always be blanket silences. Spammable CC in the form of Fear, Poly, and Cyclone have never been a real issue.

But luckily, we are in a state where CC is pretty balanced across the board for the first time in a long time imo.
But this was before the major GCD changes, I think a look at spammable CC would be healthy to be discussed.
08/12/2018 03:03 PMPosted by Thenugent
But this was before the major GCD changes, I think a look at spammable CC would be healthy to be discussed.

Personally don't feel they're much of an issue. Fear is super weak post MoP (especially since sharing a DR with clone). Clone is still short range, doesn't necessarily have too much to set it up with either. Big part of druids kit and you can't really nerf it without drastically ruining the flow of the class.

Polymorph is the strongest of them all honestly, but even then it's still mages thing. I don't think it's really broken either. There have been times in the past where spammable CC has been way more frustrating, but I really think it's a non issue atm.
08/12/2018 03:03 PMPosted by Thenugent
I think a look at spammable CC would be healthy to be discussed.

The problem is people can't have a healthy discussion about it. People who aren't one of the three classes in question want them completely removed or nerfed into oblivion without any compensation, and the people who play the classes are silenced when they explain that the abilities aren't an issue.