I feel like I am at the age where I should not game.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 11 Next
Time management. You have years to play. Pace yourself and put most other things first.

My fiancé (now husband) gave me a TI-994a with Tunnels of Doom in 1983. Been playing computer games ever since. Got a degree in Computer Science, worked in the industry for over 30 years, with a family. Now retired and playing more.
Umm lots of people work 40+ hours a week and still play. Some people dont work and play. Neither means you cant play or play all the time. I play in the down time 7 to 11 are times if im home i can play. If not no biggie i found out the secret a long time ago, the game is still there, no need to rush to finish everything. Im happier that way rather than trying to run on the wow treadmill and get to 120 get all the rep get all the gear in a rush and hurry.

There simply is no need for it, and i feel sorry for people that play that way. All you accomplish in the end is burnout and hatred of a good game because you pushed it.
I know what you mean.

When I was in my mid twenties, wrath was out and I spent way too much time playing.

Now that I'm in my late 30s.... I'm okay with waiting time away playing the game lol
You would be surprised how much you can accomplish during a expansion sticking to one character and only playing a few hours on the weekend yes you will be behind the curve but you still will progress and by the end of expansion you will likely have don as much as everyone else.
08/27/2018 12:11 PMPosted by Roxsa
Work hard play hard.

Everybody dance now!
Part of the issue with people putting WoW first is that they realize they're paying for it, like 50 cents a day, but still. And when they're paying for it but not accessing it, they feel like they're wasting their money, that gets people to keep playing even if they have more important things to do that don't result in money at all.
Basically you have to accept that you will become a filthy casual like me and the majority of people who log in for an hour or three a night and then end up binging on the weekend or may end up going a whole week without logging in depending on life.

If you play for raids, etc... its about structuring your time in a way that allow you to do what you need to do with max efficiency.

If your just a "try to do it all" casual player or PuGer its a bit easier to just fit it in when you can.

You also have to make calls on what you want to spend your in game time doing. Do you want to run dungeons or build rep? You might not have time for both this week. Do your professions and mog runs really matter? Do you need that 10th alt at 120?

It changes how you play, but doesn't need to change the fact you do play.
I stopped focusing on this game to get my degree in programming, that's why I skipped Legion.
LEO here. I just do my 4 world quests before work, a dungeon after work, and grind out hardcore on my days off.
08/27/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Feelzbrah
I am approaching my mid-twenties, and during those times it is imperative that I focus on building my career and graduating from university.

I have been taking it slow all my life and it is time where I need to increase the pace of achieving my goal.

Video games is such a huge time-killer and I don't have the amount of time to be able to invest in a huge time-sink like World of Warcraft.

How do you guys manage?

Sounds like a quarter-life crisis to me.

"I'm not where I should be"

"All my friends have kids and houses"

You'll learn as you burn out in your early thirties that having some time to yourself where you don't have to worry about everything else going on around you is just as important as the time you spend working towards your life goals.
get a good job pays well, become your own boss and only work 3-4 days a week but get paid like your working 40 hours a week
A lot of these people are losers imo lmao.
Career> WoW tbh.
40+ hours a week job here in engineering field, a toddler and a wife. I play every night. Granted, I never take work home with me, as I'm very protective of my time. (If I'm working, I want to be getting paid for it.)

I AFK a lot on weekday evenings, usually to clean/do dishes, take care of the kiddo or what not. It helps that I have a tag team partner in my wife, who also plays every night.

I hit my "sweet spot" between 9pm-1am. Which is my quiet time. Kid is asleep (most of the time) and the wife is in bed. I've always functioned far better on about 5-6 hours of sleep, so I use that to my advantage.

So pretty much just what everyone else has been saying: time management.
08/27/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Toxnox
I worked hard when i was young so I could play games in retirement. Time is your most valuable commodity and you' have wasted yours if you're in your mid twenties and have no direction. I graduated college before I was 21 and had my first job. You will probably work until you die if you ever get around to doing any. Probably best to just not do anything and keep playing WoW. Someone will probably pay your bills anyway.

The salt is strong with this one.

I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do until I was 25 (29 now). You're fine. Everything in moderation. Find something you are at least semi interested in that is profitable, work enough so that you are not a burden to society and live your life however you want.

If the game is to the point where you are stressing it's causing you to waste your life, a break is probably necessary.
I am approaching my mid-twenties, and during those times it is imperative that I focus on building my career and graduating from university.

I have been taking it slow all my life and it is time where I need to increase the pace of achieving my goal.

Video games is such a huge time-killer and I don't have the amount of time to be able to invest in a huge time-sink like World of Warcraft.

How do you guys manage?
Balance, everything in balance.
You must practice the Lost Art of Slack, my son. Master this, and life will be divine.

http://subgenius.com/

How do you guys manage?
Pretty simple, really. First, I dispense with illusory standards like age and time. These things do not exist and are merely vain attempts by mortals to regiment and meter life itself. You are not in your "mid-twenties." You are alive and autonomous. You do what you want. Period.

Second, I don 't observe society's so-called "developmental milestones." We each get where we're going at our own pace.

If you don't get a chance to play during your day, that's because of the choices you've made and what you've prioritized, not because you've reached a certain age.
08/27/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Rakmar
Time management.

Something that took me a few years but was easily the most useful skill to get down.

Sometimes I fail at it and lose a weekend to playing WoW, I even quit a job once to play WoW because they wouldn't give me a launch day off. Moderating yourself and remembering that the time to play games is a reward for yourself is the key.
work 50+ hours a week, hang with family after work until their bedtime (homework, baths, playtime), game from 9-midnite. yea, my 10 hours days on the weekend of random BG are done for, and my 'competitive raiding' days may be behind me, but i still get it in.

As others said, it's all about priorities. Don't let the 'socially acceptable' crowd tell you you're too old to game, do what makes you happy.