I feel like I am at the age where I should not game.

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 11 Next
08/27/2018 12:33 PMPosted by Ythisens
I even quit a job once to play WoW because they wouldn't give me a launch day off

Now you don't have to worry about that haha
OK, so, here's the view from someone who 'slacked off' during post-college years, in that I basically got into service industry jobs (Hi, how many lotto tickets would you like?) and then stayed put until a decade or so later.

If you have the drive, the ganas, the push to develop your skills, then do it. You'll probably still be earning a "no experience necessary" min-wage job for a while, so your opportunities to get anything BETTER onto your CV will be on your own time.

That doesn't mean you have to completely give up gaming. But you should budget your time such that you can manage any sort of skill study (either by yourself or in a class) AND hold down the job... and get enough sleep, and get your personal chores done, and get in some real-world socializing if there's any to be had.

I'm at the opposite end of the process, I'm winding down to retirement (turned 51 this year) after working for the Phone Company for what feels like a lifetime. So while the younger, more driven of my coworkers are going for doctorates or extra certifications to better propel themselves upwards, I'm basically clocking my 40 hours and then going home, doing "house" chores and projects, taking vacations that I didn't have the chance to do when I was in my 20s, and yes, gaming.
Yup. Time management. I'm 36 years old with a wife and three kids. After they go to bed or before they wake up. I also work four, ten-hour days. So Friday I can game a lot of the day. But like people have said, do your priorities first. An about the age thing, that doesy matter. My wife asked me one time, "When we are 90 on the front porch rocking chairs, will you be playing a game?" I said "God willing!!"
That's an important thing to sit down and consider, and I respect that you acknowledge the changes in your life. As long as you are taking care of your personal responsibilities, then worry less about what others think. It's incredibly important to do the things that you enjoy and appreciate.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
08/27/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Feelzbrah
How do you guys manage?

I've had but one principle that I've maintained over the years.

"I'm old enough to know better, but...
still feel that I'm young enough to get away with it."
I am approaching my mid-twenties, and during those times it is imperative that I focus on building my career and graduating from university.

I have been taking it slow all my life, and it is time where I need to increase the pace of achieving my goals.

Video games are such a huge time-killer, and I don't have the amount of time to be able to invest in a huge time-sink like World of Warcraft.

How do you guys manage?

I work 40-50 hours a week easily. I come home and play. When you are off work you shoudlk do something you enjoy. I manage to play just fine as I joined aguild/raid that fit my time schedule.

I'm 27 and know many people 10-20 years older than me who still play wow. You're only "too old" if you let other people tell you so and you believe them.
08/27/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Toxnox
I worked hard when i was young so I could play games in retirement. Time is your most valuable commodity and you' have wasted yours if you're in your mid twenties and have no direction. I graduated college before I was 21 and had my first job. You will probably work until you die if you ever get around to doing any. Probably best to just not do anything and keep playing WoW. Someone will probably pay your bills anyway.

I honestly have to agree with this. I have seen far to many younger people doing this exact thing. Heck ive been doing it for 18+ years ever since i broke my back in a few places and now at 54 and everything FAR worse, it actually prefer this game over RL.

But until they deal with all the BS in this expansion(and OLD content), guess im stuck back in RL where doctors wont release me because im to much of a liability, and hence i cant work for the same reason.

I do not know anything else but heavy equipment operation, construction, auto body repair, mechanic, and motorcycle repair.

If i could still hunt decently, and there was money to be had, that would be awesome. But theres not, not in NY. Im an expert marksman, but again, its hard on the body, and those positions in that niche corner of the market are full.

So ill just hang out in here until blizz actually does something besides take everything away and gives us back some things and make them optional, this way the only one to blame for your problems with leveling speed, power progression and all the rest is YOU. Personal responsibility would do wonders for this game, instead of blizz just taking and taking.
Just do what I did.
Find a rich husband, get married, take a cute fraction of his wealth when you inevitably divorce, invest it wisely/let it accrue in the bank via interest, then spend your days going to the gym, having brunch, shopping, and playing games.
I'm only 23, so go and live ur life!!!!!!!!,Just do what I did.
Find a rich husband, get married, take a cute fraction of his wealth when you inevitably divorce, invest it wisely/let it accrue in the bank via interest, then spend your days going to the gym, having brunch, shopping, and playing games.
I'm only 23, so go and live ur life!!!!!!!!
08/27/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Rakmar
Time management.

Something that took me a few years but was easily the most useful skill to get down.

Sometimes I fail at it and lose a weekend to playing WoW, I even quit a job once to play WoW because they wouldn't give me a launch day off. Moderating yourself and remembering that the time to play games is a reward for yourself is the key.

Well, looks like you found the right job now!
08/27/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Clarvoidant
motorcycle repair

It's this bit that urges me to get into the same guild so we can drive people up the wall with tech talk about motos. And yeah, I'm one of those people who can manage an oil/filter change and some minor electrical repairs/upgrades, but takes everything else to the shop (used to do my own brake work, but ABS put the kibosh on that).
08/27/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Gildoor
work 50+ hours a week, hang with family after work until their bedtime (homework, baths, playtime), game from 9-midnite. yea, my 10 hours days on the weekend of random BG are done for, and my 'competitive raiding' days may be behind me, but i still get it in.

As others said, it's all about priorities. Don't let the 'socially acceptable' crowd tell you you're too old to game, do what makes you happy.

This sounds exactly like me. I have a wife and 3 kids. My raid days and 8 hour a day playing are over with. I play with the wife and kids are asleep. Maybe from 10 to 12. Sometimes on the weekends I’ll stay up until 1 am. But that’s pushing it.
I was 38 when Ultima Online came out. I’m just getting started.

Something to do in my retirement years, which are coming up fast.
08/27/2018 01:18 PMPosted by Elitedk
I even quit a job once to play WoW because they wouldn't give me a launch day off

Now you don't have to worry about that haha

I'm pretty sure he had to work launch day :-)
There is something vaguely immoral about these skinner box games.
I am approaching my mid-twenties
Oh you're SO OLD!
I am approaching my mid-twenties, and during those times it is imperative that I focus on building my career and graduating from university.

I have been taking it slow all my life, and it is time where I need to increase the pace of achieving my goals.

Video games are such a huge time-killer, and I don't have the amount of time to be able to invest in a huge time-sink like World of Warcraft.

How do you guys manage?

It depends on what are you going to do with that free time you get from not gaming. Overworking like crazy is not necessarily a good idea, unless you're actually lacking results at your current pace. But if you still take the time to relax then relaxing with games is just fine.
If you like gaming, keep gaming but find a balance between what you want to do and what you have to do. There come points where I only have time to do a few BGs a week, and then there come points where I can join a raiding guild. Its all about management and if you feel societal pressure to not game, don't listen.
A lot of it is balance. There is only so many hours in a day and there are days where you simply wont be able to play. Just got into my 30s and between a house, career, and first child there are just times where I have to shrug do what I need to do instead of want to do.

That being said I do still find time here and there.

How do you guys manage?

Been there, done that. I can play all day now, just like you can in 30 years.
I graduated recently. I gamed all through it. When I went to live in Sweden, I bought a gaming laptop.

I don't think there's an age "where you stop gaming." Gaming is still a recently new phenomenon and society has created different attitudes in relation to gaming. Those that scoff at it think its just for kids or whatever.

Gaming has been my escape. It's been my fun. It's my hobby. And it's also where I met most of my friends (some online some irl). I don't want to be ashamed of it, nor do I want to stop anytime soon. I've been able to balance it with work, travel and studies. Time management is King.

I would also like to add that I learned English playing WoW. Playing WC3, as the Night Elves, was one of the fondest memories as a child and helped me learn the language better. It's funny to think I have Illidan to thank for parts of my speech and vocabulary.

Sometimes I fail at it and lose a weekend to playing WoW, I even quit a job once to play WoW because they wouldn't give me a launch day off. Moderating yourself and remembering that the time to play games is a reward for yourself is the key.

Luckily, I'm not THAT far gone.