Sylvanas did nothing wrong - Elegy

Story Forum
Taken from the World of Warcraft novella -

The tree of life was now a deathtrap, and soon would be the site of the greatest mass incremation Azeroth had ever known.

She was lucky. Arrows would claim her life. But the children whose cradle had been the boughs of the World Tree would die in agony and, worse, in utter innocence.

How could this be happening? How could the Horde have gotten so far, and how—in Elune’s name, why?—had the Horde chosen to burn the World Tree? This was more than war. More than cruelty. This was madness and genocide and hatred so extreme that Astarii could not understand it.

More, though, continued to push forward, heedless of Astarii’s plea. Cries for help came as families shoved their way inside the temple. Some carried loved ones with horrific burns, who screamed in agony at every movement, their blackened, oozing skin sloughing off. Others were already beyond any help the priestesses could give.

The moonwell shattered, and its sacred waters flowed onto the grass, red now with the blood of innocents. There were more screams. Those who could stampeded outside like crazed beasts, where nothing but more flames awaited to embrace them.

Why should Sylvanas face any consequences? She did nothing wrong here.

Plot armor will shield her from justice. She IS justice!
Stand with her horde!
Saurfang has no honor!
FOR THE HORDE!
08/11/2018 03:41 PMPosted by Zarinadora
How could this be happening? How could the Horde have gotten so far, and how—in Elune’s name, why?—had the Horde chosen to burn the World Tree? This was more than war. More than cruelty. This was madness and genocide and hatred so extreme that Astarii could not understand it.

Plot armor will shield her from justice. She IS justice!
Stand with her horde!
Saurfang has no honor!
FOR THE HORDE!

Perhaps Elune's wisdom led Astarii to a better understanding.
They think Old soldier makes up for this.
They also think that people who like sylvanas are cool with this... pragmatic and ruthless action. Not sure how this is pragmatic though, seems a stretch to think this would break their hope, unless she wanted to break any hope of there ever being peace.

I am not sure how they'll spin the burning to be a good thing for the horde, but so far I don't see how capturing the tree and holding it hostage would have been worse.
Astarii extended her arms to a mother and her young son, who were among the last to enter the temple. “Do not be afraid,” she said to the boy, who was mute and trembling. “Come here.” With one arm around the mother and the other around her boy, Astarii sank to the soaked earth.

Sleep brushed Astarii’s mind, feather soft, honey sweet. The pain disappeared. She let out a sigh. All around her, she heard similar sounds.

The fire was relentless. The smoke would kill them, and the flames would devour their flesh and even their bones. Only ash would remain. But they would feel nothing.

No pain in the Lady’s light, in the Lady’s love. Mother and child both slept, breathing gently despite the smoke. Her duty faithfully discharged, Astarii allowed her own eyelids to flutter closed.

SMASH that like button if you love our Banshee Queen Sylvanas and want her to continue leading the Horde!
Good for her, too bad the old man couldn't produce one feathery boi head/
Weren't you listening? The possibility of war justifies everything she does. She said so to Saurfang.
I thought bones were fire resistant?
08/11/2018 03:49 PMPosted by Granfaloon
They also think that people who like sylvanas are cool with this... pragmatic and ruthless action. Not sure how this is pragmatic though, seems a stretch to think this would break their hope, unless she wanted to break any hope of there ever being peace.

I'm honestly wondering if Sylvanas's "pragmatism" is exaggerated. It's starting to seem like "pragmatism" means "she'll do anything for her own benefit." She's "pragmatic" in the way that the actual villains of the setting are pragmatic. All of them will do anything to get what they want.
Not sure how this is pragmatic though, seems a stretch to think this would break their hope

Besides, A Good War supports the idea that she was simply triggered and burned the tree out of spite.

And burning your best bargaining chip doesn't seem to fit any definition of pragmatic that I can think of.
I don't see how anyone could be okay with the Horde story-wise after reading about children burning and loved ones in such agony and torment from burns where their skin sloughs off from the movement and motion of trying, desperately, to escape further agony.

If you're Alliance you want nothing more to see the Horde be ended, as a Horde you'd have to distance yourself from the story and pretend your character wasn't involved unless you like the pure evil.

I wonder how many from both sides want Sylvanas dead or gone
08/11/2018 04:15 PMPosted by Demonflayer

I'm honestly wondering if Sylvanas's "pragmatism" is exaggerated. It's starting to seem like "pragmatism" means "she'll do anything for her own benefit." She's "pragmatic" in the way that the actual villains of the setting are pragmatic. All of them will do anything to get what they want.

Using the blight to beat the worgen makes sense.
Using the valkyr to raise more forsaken makes sense.
Using a surprise attack after tricking the NE army south makes sense.
Burning a tree full of civilians to make their people lose hope because a single NE general said you can't kill hope? It's the opposite of pragmatic. It sounds like idealistic nonsense.

I mean, assuming she wanted war it still makes no sense that she suddenly decided to burn it. Whatever her motives are they hardly seem pragmatic.

I am not sure how they'll spin the burning to be a good thing for the horde, but so far I don't see how capturing the tree and holding it hostage would have been worse.

What were the other options without Malfurion dead? Walk away?
08/11/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Argashir
I don't see how anyone could be okay with the Horde story-wise after reading about children burning

To be fair, Elegy wasn't written for the Horde or Horde players. It was written for the Alliance.

as a Horde you'd have to distance yourself from the story and pretend your character wasn't involved unless you like the pure evil.

Well, I haven't logged in any of my Horde toons since the Warbringers: Sylvanas video. That might tell you something.

I wonder how many from both sides want Sylvanas dead or gone

I'm not angry at Sylvanas. I'm angry at the writers.
You forgot the one about how coming in started getting burned so badly that they didn't run to the portal but instead jumped in the moonwell.

And the one where the mom and her kid showed up after the portals had to be closed. So the priestess started to pray for a painless death instead of protection.
It totally makes up for it! Literally one dude in the entire Horde kinda-sorta tried to stop Sylvanas and then shrugged and helped her defend her fortress of evil anyway. Faction exonerated.

It's starting to seem like "pragmatism" means "she'll do anything for her own benefit." She's "pragmatic" in the way that the actual villains of the setting are pragmatic. All of them will do anything to get what they want.
Burning Teldrassil didn't even benefit her. Apparently "pragmatism" just means "she'll do anything", which is pretty far from any definition of pragmatism I've ever heard of.

This is why I question folks who insist Sylvanas is acting in character. She's always been portrayed as evil, but chaotic evil? Not so much.
She's pragmatic in the same way the Burning Legion was "pragmatic".

Sargeras: "The universe can't get corrupted and consumed by the Void if it's corrupted and consumed by the Fel instead!" #villainlogic
They also think that people who like sylvanas are cool with this... pragmatic and ruthless action.

What, seriously? What Sylvie did is the total, polar opposite of pragmatism. Resisting the urge to throw away her advantage with a pointlessly evil act might have been pragmatic.
08/11/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Myrothan

What were the other options without Malfurion dead? Walk away?

Hold the tree hostage. Hell, I would have preferred she do that and have the resistance force her hand into burning the tree. Why diverge from the initial plan because of a dying elf??! It's like, you made me mad, so I am going to hit myself in the face!

08/11/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Meldaea
They also think that people who like sylvanas are cool with this... pragmatic and ruthless action.

What, seriously? What Sylvie did is the total, polar opposite of pragmatism. Resisting the urge to throw away her advantage with a pointlessly evil act might have been pragmatic.

Totally, old Sylvanas would have kidnapped all the civilians first then burned the tree in front of them. Not thrown away her advantage and respond with an Oopsies! I didn't foresee this outcome! We'll get em next time!

They have to be stringing us along to some "reveal," but I am certain it too will be way off the mark. Surprise! Sylvanas is working for a death god! She is sending him dead souls!
Well I read Elegy because of this thread and it actually made me feel a little sick.

They REALLY went into detail about people burning alive.
Not sure how this is pragmatic though, seems a stretch to think this would break their hope, unless she wanted to break any hope of there ever being peace.

And thats what she wanted from the beginning.

08/11/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Meldaea

Her goal is to destroy Stormwind, how does Teldrassil helps that goal when Saurfang himself said to himself that if Sylvanas declared that goal she would get a Mak'gora.

Burning the tree forces the Horde into action.