Goblins and Gnomes. Which race is smarter?

General Discussion
If a Gnome builds it then it's oversized, overly complex, and has a 50% chance of failure.

If a Goblin builds it then it's cheap, crude, and has a 100% chance of exploding at some point.

Different flavors of fail really.
Gnomes, without the ore located in their starting zone goblins intellect have declined. It's stated in the little handbook that came with Catacylsm.

edit*

apparently it was retconned.

So then I say, neither. Dwarfs are superior we blow people up from a distance.
08/11/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Crepe
Well... our stuff doesn't tend to explode unpredictably...

Genius and insanity are two sides of the same coin.

So will it be heads or tails?
I will say gnomish inventions have a level of sleek polish that you just don't see in goblin inventions. As an example, compare Mekkatorque's steam armor to, say, Blackfuse's suped-up shredder. It's like night and day.
08/11/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Ragarèn
Gnomes, without the ore located in their starting zone goblins intellect have declined. It's stated in the little handbook that came with Catacylsm.
That's been retconned already; Goblin intelligence has plateaued without the kaja'mite. We ain't getting stupider, but we ain't gunna get smarter without it.
I think we are only smarter then gnomes when on the juice.

Kajamite juice to be exact.
Goblins are at fault for server disconnects, bugs with every quest, boss drops, falling through the earth, Blizzard saying soon so much et al.
It's all because Goblins keep blowing up things on Azeroth.

If you don't believe what I say, I'll punch you in the kneecaps until you submit. (300 unarmed skill)

.... being a gnome ya know.

;p
08/11/2018 06:29 PMPosted by Glitterfart
I think we are only smarter then gnomes when on the juice.

Kajamite juice to be exact.

Well, their evolution was different. Gnomes were once robots that were afflicted with the Curse of Flesh, hence their more analytical approach to problems. Goblins evolved from pygmy-like critters that were exposed to kejamite, and for awhile their inventions were superior to anything modern and gnomish. But then they mined it all and lost their intelligence. Later when the pseudo-goblins were enslaved by trolls and accidentally found more kejamite, they regained a semblance of their ancestral smarts.

Now they exist in a weird limbo state of hyper-intelligence and reckless sociopathy.
08/11/2018 06:14 PMPosted by Bronnix
Gnomes tried to steal goblin tech nuff said.

Thats a racist stereotype and largely untrue you would find very few things in game that have actually broken.

Besides Goblin stuff that breaks isn't because they are less intelligent its because they are cheep and cut corners.

Hey that's not fair, I stand by the quality of every product I provide.
I cannot be blamed for client side errors
Goblins obv
Goblins could make all the things gnomes could make, but choose a nobler path: things that go boom.
Gnomes master race
I would say both are equally intelligent. Just like in any group you're going to have your genius and those who are less intelligent and then everything in between. Overall, I think we rank a tick up from some of the races, but even among those there are people who could be just as smart as any goblin or gnome.

Example, I'm sure mages of all races are really intelligent even if they don't like inventing things.
08/11/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Ragarèn

edit*

apparently it was retconned.

So then I say, neither. Dwarfs are superior we blow people up from a distance.

I should also add that gnomes lost a great deal of their intelligence when they got the curse of flesh. Gnomes kinda was a reverse situation with goblins. They were once a super intelligent practically immortal machine race. Now they are easily puntable alliance pets.
08/11/2018 06:05 PMPosted by Çryptø
This is a good time to provide evidence supporting why or why not.

Goblin products are built to blast.
08/11/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Adelphie
Gnomes. Without question.

For once, I agree with Adelphie.

Gnomes don't have a tendency to blow themselves up whenever they work on a project. They're also not driven by greed.

Seriously, not sure if it's still in game but if you went Goblin Engineering half the stuff you created in that profession had adverse side effects. There's still a Goblin town with exploding sheep! lol
We're smarter because we found a way to make us even smarter by eating rocks. Can gnomes do that
08/11/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Gilblin
We're smarter because we found a way to make us even smarter by eating rocks. Can gnomes do that

Pfft. We didn't eat kajamite.

... We processed it into a soft drink.
08/11/2018 06:50 PMPosted by Manazzle
08/11/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Gilblin

Pfft. We didn't eat kajamite.

... We processed it into a soft drink.

And also made lots of profits off it :)
Goblins are but they tend to take shortcuts with their work and usually are running deals on the side so their end products are usually shotty. But when they work, by God, they really work!

I see Goblins as Engineers while Gnomes are considered Tinkerers. I have yet to see a Gnomish seige weapon.

I think the Gnomes are under-utilized by the Alliance so it's kindof hard to see their true ingenuity.