An Honest look at Allied Race Grinds

General Discussion
The complaint is simple, people want to play as the fun new race and they feel denied. To be more precise, they feel like the reward to effort ratio is broken.

But how about this.

Think about the other games you love to play. Now imagine they all were condensed down to the play time of a cellphone application.

Would you be mad?

Yep.

That's why it takes rep. That's why you are mad and that's why you are getting static from other players.

You seem to want the "cellphone app" version of the game.

But this is WoW, and we all know what a MMORPG ment back in 04-05. The same reality applies. It's not an 8 hour playthrough PS4 game, it's basically a self-contained hobby that many of us have committed to over the course of years.

So the big question, if mounts and gear and pets can sit behind all the rep grinds, why not allied (prestige) races?
I think it is dumb to make new players go play Legion if they want to play one of the initial 4 ARs. I was fine with the requirement during Legion, but now they should be encouraging us to play BFA not Legion.
Allied races are a way to make exalted status feel more impactful. I haven't ever WANTED to be exalted with a reputation before because there was no point. Another ground mount I won't use, a pet with a more interesting recolor out in the world, or a tabard that looks like a dishrag? Pass. Oh! I can play a whole new race? Now that is a reward.

Edit:
08/26/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Aellom
I think it is dumb to make new players go play Legion if they want to play one of the initial 4 ARs. I was fine with the requirement during Legion, but now they should be encouraging us to play BFA not Legion.

Same could be said for every other rep reward for the past 14 years. You want those transmogs from WoD? better get your garrison up.
08/26/2018 08:24 PMPosted by Belronae
So the big question, if mounts and gear and pets can sit behind all the rep grinds, why not allied (prestige) races?

TIME GATED rep grinds. Also the fact that the factions you're grinding rep with have nothing to do with the races involved. If you were getting some recipe from the furbolgs, it made sense to get rep by killing their enemies. Why would the Dark Irons care that some adventurer made the Alliance military happy?
People should not be encouraged to do old content. Isn't that also what the lead developer said?
I don't have an issue with the rep grind.

I don't think the rep grind will go away.

I think people need to re-frame their request and ask Blizzard for more ways to earn rep.
08/26/2018 08:33 PMPosted by Taigu

TIME GATED rep grinds. Also the fact that the factions you're grinding rep with have nothing to do with the races involved. If you were getting some recipe from the furbolgs, it made sense to get rep by killing their enemies. Why would the Dark Irons care that some adventurer made the Alliance military happy?

Maybe because they've proven to be a major help in the 7th Legion campaign. Additionally, Anduin says their inclusion has been long-overdue since they became friendly since Cata.
Look at it this way. Imagine being COMPLETELY new to the game and being told you have to level a specific race/class combo that you don't want to play just to get to the content that you do want to play, so you can unlock the race that you were really into, for the class you desired and now you have to level that race/class combo, gear etc. Months into the game now for some people and far behind in progression of friends who had maybe lured this new person in and wanted to play with you but now slots are full and you'll have to wait until end of 'season', but hey they can finally play that cool new race...

Seems like BS to me.
I'd prefer that a basic version of an allied race was immediately available and then they locked cosmetics for that race behind rep. I would so grind the hell out of a rep for tats and piercings.
Or even a class not normally available to that race could be locked behind rep.
08/26/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Aellom

Yep. That's exactly the problem.

Legion content is still there. It's just not cap content, and that is the problem.

You dont want to play World of Warcraft. You want to play Battle for Azeroth.

So... what you want to play is a single expansion, but that isn't WoW. Those older things connect the world together.

Want a red drake mount? Better go back to Wyrmrest. Want a talbuk? Nagrand.

It is all the same game, a wide, deep and yes, time consuming experience.
08/26/2018 08:41 PMPosted by Pandæmonium
Look at it this way. Imagine being COMPLETELY new to the game and being told you have to level a specific race/class combo that you don't want to play just to get to the content that you do want to play, so you can unlock the race that you were really into, for the class you desired and now you have to level that race/class combo, gear etc. Months into the game now for some people and far behind in progression of friends who had maybe lured this new person in and wanted to play with you but now slots are full and you'll have to wait until end of 'season', but hey they can finally play that cool new race...

Seems like BS to me.

Very few new players are underwhelmed enough with the game as new, and fresh, as it is to them to really feel "betrayed" by the allied race grind. This is a manufactured issue by current and "returning" players.
I think the rep grinds are fine during an expansion. That way, the Legion races would end up coming across as a reward for playing Legion while it's current. Players that do the grind still get them as an "early access" reward. There's no reason whatsoever to keep them locked out on release of a new expansion though, especially when Allied Races are marketed as a BfA feature. To that end, I'd also understand keeping the BfA races locked behind a rep grind until the release of the following expansion. Legion content now happened in the past, lorewise. All four Legion ARs have joined a faction by now, whether you did the grind or not.

In short: coming from someone who unlocked all four pre-existing ARs upon release, I think all four Legion races should be available to everybody, and the achievements associated with unlocking them should now be Feats of Strength. When the expansion following BfA comes out, the same thing should happen to Kul Tirans/Zandalari/etc.
The allied races shouldn't be treated like an exclusive item when they are officially allied already with the release of BFA. The work is done already. They joined their respective factions already. They should now be playable to everyone. Leave the exalted rep grind for actual bonus items.
The complaint is simple, people want to play as the fun new race and they feel denied.

denied? dude i feel like ive been cucked

i have to do content made for bots for an entire month before i finally get to pay money to race change lol

as someone who played wow for 10 years im honestly pretty insulted that i'm basically being crapped on for not playing the worst expansion to have ever been released imo.

my class was lame, the dungeons were boring, i haven't wanted to raid since 10m heroic (now mythic) guilds were axed and i burned out on it in WoD, the pvp system was stupid... there was no reason to play Legion

except apparently to not get cucked at the start of BFA
It isn't the amount of time, or effort involved that bothers me.

Rep grinds are boring.

Give us something fun to do, rather than a bunch of quests we've already completed many times over, and ****ANOTHER**** mission board.

Ick.
08/26/2018 08:38 PMPosted by Epicbeard

I think people need to re-frame their request and ask Blizzard for more ways to earn rep.

That's fair. There is a labor and time component here. But I suspect that Warbeads wont fix it.

People want the shiny and they want it now. Frustrating as it is, these allies races are prestige rewards. Not casual play items.

The daily system implemented way back when had one goal. Get people to log in every day. And here we are, doing our world quests and logging in.

Maybe it takes a couple months of dailies to get that void elf or tauren you want. But in WoW terms, that really is nothing.

If you didnt have time for your dailies, you didnt have time for anything other than questing and the LFR for core content.
I don't mind the rep grind, but time-gated anything is garbage

Can we have tabards that are actually useful back?? (among other things)
08/26/2018 08:53 PMPosted by Belronae
08/26/2018 08:38 PMPosted by Epicbeard

That's fair. There is a labor and time component here. But I suspect that Warbeads wont fix it.

People want the shiny and they want it now. Frustrating as it is, these allies races are prestige rewards. Not casual play items.

The daily system implemented way back when had one goal. Get people to log in every day. And here we are, doing our world quests and logging in.

Maybe it takes a couple months of dailies to get that void elf or tauren you want. But in WoW terms, that really is nothing.

If you didnt have time for your dailies, you didnt have time for anything other than questing and the LFR for core content.

Exactly. So the thing is what else can they attach rep to that doesnt become an unfair advantage but becomes an alternate way to earn the rewards.

Especially if the goal is to get players to log in daily and perform some meaningful activity in the world.

To me it seems like Pet battles, Warmode, and other activities could benefit from having some fair amount of rep attached to it.
No other game has locked races behind rep grinds.

No other game would ever do that !@#$ and survive. The only reason WoW can do it is because there are TONS of people who would praise blizzard no matter what %^-*ed up !@#$ blizz decided to do.
We have 2 years of BFA being current, taking the 40-50 hours out of the next 4-5 weeks to get the allied races isn't going to kill anyone.

That's a sliver of play time for most people in this game, just go get them if you want them.