Chris Metzen Interview Thoughts

Story Forum
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 Next
08/10/2018 07:56 PMPosted by Draile
Seeing as how Metzen got the idea to make Vol'jin warchief from a side-thought at a convention panel, maybe?

The original plan was to have Thrall return as Warchief. But he became really unpopular.

You're seriously underselling the "Vol'jin for Warchief" movement. He was the most popular choice for people who hated that Garrosh became Warchief in Cata. Blizzard made a poll about it and Vol'jin even won over Basic Campfire.
So my question to people who find an unacceptable amount of female empowerment in their media is this:

Slow your roll, hot shot.

Nothing in WoW supports female empowerment.

Sylvanas just burned civillians alive because she made an emotional choice. That is "literally" the excuse used against female world leaders. That theyll get emotional and fire a nuke.
Bruh if Golden is guilty of feminist writing Anduin wouldn't be the Chosen One and Sylvanas wouldn't be so one-dimensional. Say what you want about the story, but gender politics has absolutely nothing to do with anything here. Nor does her being a woman. The 'waaaah women ruined my favorite franchise' narrative is facile and immature.

Take your poorly veiled misogynistic angst to another fandom.
08/10/2018 08:28 PMPosted by Seiryu
08/10/2018 07:56 PMPosted by Draile
Seeing as how Metzen got the idea to make Vol'jin warchief from a side-thought at a convention panel, maybe?

The original plan was to have Thrall return as Warchief. But he became really unpopular.

You're seriously underselling the "Vol'jin for Warchief" movement. He was the most popular choice for people who hated that Garrosh became Warchief in Cata. Blizzard made a poll about it and Vol'jin even won over Basic Campfire.

It's not hard to be the most popular choice when your competition is Sylvanas Blightrunner, Who'themar, and Baine "At least I showed up twice, suck it Lor'themar" Bloodhoof.
08/10/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Anelaan
It's not hard to be the most popular choice when your competition is Sylvanas Blightrunner, Who'themar, and Baine "At least I showed up twice, suck it Lor'themar" Bloodhoof.

Well it's not just that. The poll was pretty informal and jovial, with options like Basic Campfire, Varian Wrynn, and Cro Threadstrong. Vol'jin won by a landslide.
08/10/2018 09:18 PMPosted by Ferlion
So my question to people who find an unacceptable amount of female empowerment in their media is this:

Slow your roll, hot shot.

Nothing in WoW supports female empowerment.

Sylvanas just burned civillians alive because she made an emotional choice. That is "literally" the excuse used against female world leaders. That theyll get emotional and fire a nuke.

Not to mention the grand superior wonderful leader of the Alliance is a man, to whome even his elders, male or female, bow to and follow without question or a whisper of complaint. He can even bark at an elder king like Genn and have him heel like a whipped puppy

I think you can build just as nice a straw man out off the idea that wow is anti feminist because all the females either follow a superior man or are incompetent when in charge. Besides the “hush Tyrande” thing and Sylvannas going into a fit over a tree we have both Alliance allied races actually run by men. LF I always assumed was led by Turyelon and the velves are led by Umbric
08/10/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Leowulf
Now Blizzard hires Christie Golden and she begins to make the exact same mistakes Kathleen Kennedy made with Star Wars.

Christie Golden is given 3 paragraphs worth of narrative a combined team of lore staffers and marketing execs whipped up before their lunch break, with the instructions to wring 250 pages out of it.

She doesn't have a say in macro story directions. She doesn't get final edit of her book. She doesn't control the story.

What a garbage post.
08/10/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Relictor
Chris Metzen you know that if you had not left, the story would not be the garbage that it is today.

Chris Metzen has written plenty of garbage story himself. Stopped reading here.

Metzen's writing were still better than the SJW garbage that is now.
Does being a culture warrior not get tiring? Or is it just some all-consuming paranoia that won't let you back out of the rabbit hole?
I mean... I'm all for speaking up when social justice ruins media narrative. But here it just seems a bit too hamfisted for my liking.
Metzen was a fantastic person and he did write some great things, but don't pretend he was perfect. He was both loved and hated because he wasn't perfect, he made mistakes and it's pretty evident that a lot people thought Thrall's green jesus time was bad writing.

Also why is it when people have a problem with a woman's work, others are quick to play the gender card to god-defend her? Golden could be a hermaphrodite, an AI or a lizard and we'd still give her crap about the way she's writing for the story/lore.
08/11/2018 01:08 AMPosted by Meiruo
Metzen was a fantastic person and he did write some great things, but don't pretend he was perfect. He was both loved and hated because he wasn't perfect, he made mistakes and it's pretty evident that a lot people thought Thrall's green jesus time was bad writing.

Also why is it when people have a problem with a woman's work, others are quick to play the gender card to god-defend her? Golden could be a hermaphrodite, an AI or a lizard and we'd still give her crap about the way she's writing for the story/lore.

Because she is probably a feminist.
Wow that was a lot of sexism packed into every paragraph, there.
08/11/2018 01:52 AMPosted by Gunnarr

Those people are dangerous, you know. They think women are people, and everything.

Honestly, given how prominent women are in this expansion, you want a woman to write them because of, you know, experience actually being a woman instead of experience of writing what you think women should act like.

Having men write the story is how you end up with Tyrande.

She did write a crappy book. If she were male it would still be crappy

However, that infamous line would probably not cause as much of a stir if written by a male. Again it’s just a statement of fact not a collage dissertation.

Plus, male or female, no one should receive death threats over a poor written book
08/11/2018 02:10 AMPosted by Kabbie

Those people are dangerous, you know. They think women are people, and everything.

Honestly, given how prominent women are in this expansion, you want a woman to write them because of, you know, experience actually being a woman instead of experience of writing what you think women should act like.

Feminists do not believe women are people. Feminists hate both women and men. Tyrande is a better character than anything golden has ever written.

It’s funny how feminists have become a boogeyman. Back when I was younger (mumbles about fifteen miles through the snow) feminists were more like “hi, I’d like to go to work and vote and be treated with respect”.

I’m not saying that all modern feminists are like that. Some are definitely horrible people who judge men the same way they think men judge women. However I don’t think going on an on about how evil women are because they are taking over gaming is a good reaction either. Makes it look like gamers are in a treehouse with a “no girls allowed” sign.

I mean, good grief when did treating people like people become so hard?
08/11/2018 02:18 AMPosted by Blarson
<span class="truncated">...</span>

It’s funny how feminists have become a boogeyman. Back when I was younger (mumbles about fifteen miles through the snow) feminists were more like “hi, I’d like to go to work and vote and be treated with respect”.

I’m not saying that all modern feminists are like that. Some are definitely horrible people who judge men the same way they think men judge women. However I don’t think going on an on about how evil women are because they are taking over gaming is a good reaction either. Makes it look like gamers are in a treehouse with a “no girls allowed” sign.

I mean, good grief when did treating people like people become so hard?

Feminists are hypocrites and always had ulterior motives to gain special privileges. Even first wave feminism was founded on racism.
Not to mention the grand superior wonderful leader of the Alliance is a man, to whome even his elders, male or female, bow to and follow without question or a whisper of complaint. He can even bark at an elder king like Genn and have him heel like a whipped puppy

"Run by men" isnt exclusive with Feminism.
Anduin is very traditionally non-musculine.
Even him being so young and imexperienced is a step away from the implicit merito-patriarchical foundations of High King.

He is very much a "Feminist" character in that he embodies what some consider positive musculanity.

IIRC, Golden has touched on the topic as well.

Haven’t we been criticizing Sylvanas left and right lately? Golden has been responsible for most of her book portrayals.