Not understanding the story

General Discussion
They called it battle for azeroth because 'battle between those who realize sylvanas is bats**t crazy and those who don't' was too long.
08/16/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Mothamonker
We destroyed a alliance base and they retalliated by destroying one of our bases..and Now where fighting on a Island in the middle of nowhere ?
Shouldn't we be fighting on Azeroth since it's a battle for Azeroth?

New expansion should have been called discover a new Island, and we could have skipped the sacking of cities

So far, I'm having the same impression. I want to wait until I've done all zones, hit 120, and did dungeon quests and the war campaign, but if this feeling continues, I'm definitely going to be giving some constructive feedback.

tl;dr of my first impressions: it feels weird and boring to go from OMG SLAY THE HORDE!!!! to "hey let's run around and solve some problems some people on a new island are having".
08/16/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Reziel
I believe it had something to do with both sides fearing the other gaining a new ally with Zanadalar and Kul Tiras. So both factions are focusing on gaining the new allied and I imagine through a content patch we'll move on to the actual war. Then after that we'll discover it was the old gods or something, then move onto being friends again and fight the big baddie

Sincerely hope not. I was hoping to run to the death of Sylvannas singing

"We're off to kill Sylvannas, the Warchief of Horde
Because because because becassssuuuseeee
Because of the awful things she does"
I do agree that the "War" part of BofA doesn't really seem to be there. The new zones are fun and interesting, but I'm not seeing enough of the Alliance vs Horde conflict here. Just trolls vs other trolls and the Alliance is nowhere to be seen. We don't even share the zones! That's a huge oversight IMO.
Just once I'd like to just have a story about an actual war instead of all the BS happening.. Mists of Pandaria had so much potential, but we spent so much time helping those fat slogs instead of actually doing any fighting that it ended up ruining the entire thing. I DO NOT WANT TO WORK WITH THE ENEMY THIS TIME. You hype up this stupid war, but you do this all the time.. cata, mists, now here. We just always end up working together. It's getting very old, I want a story that finally focuses on an actual war between the alliance and the horde, and only between the alliance and the horde. I want to see the savagery that goes on within it, I want to see Anduin finally get some huevos and stand up to Sylvanas instead of being a merciful, and weak leader. It makes no sense so many are standing with Anduin right now. He is no Varian... why is Greymane his lapdog? Greymane is a king. If you wanted to make the alliance actually interesting this expansion you should have Greymane fighting for power within the alliance so that something actually happens there. He hates Sylvanas more than anyone.. he should be the one to take Sylvanas' approach and bring out the dirty tactics that bring in this morally grey area like Sylvanas is doing, and of course Anduin would disagree. Make the two fight with each other, right now he's just a dumb dog who follows his master instead of the great Gilnean leader who's son was murdered by the banshee !@#$%.
I think it’s more explicitly stated in the novellas but the war with the Legion left both factions severely weakened, particularly in the navy department. The story for BfA opens with the Horde springing a Zandalari princesses from an Alliance stockade and forming an alliance (lowercase) with them in order to have access to their military might including as the intro cinematic shows, a gigantic navy.

The Alliance is forced to respond to this so they go through Jania to try and cozy up to Kul Tiras which was primarily known for, you guessed it, their naval might.

So basically we’re both trying to grab allies and resources needed to wage a global war.
Don't worry, soon we'll have that one Bard song from Skyrim.

We drink to our youth, to days come and gone...
The Age of Aggression is just about done...

Death to Sylvanas! She is the Lich Queen!
On the eve of her death, we shall drink and we'll sing...
For the Glory of Stormwind! For the Alliance's Pride...
We'll fight those Horde bastards, till every one of them dies...
Actually, Alliance and Horde are at constant war right now on Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, you can check this at your mission table. We just aren't participating in those because, as champions of our factions, our priority mission is to recruit a new ally.
08/16/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Ravenlea
08/16/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Nyseila

...Odd that we mainly deal through the Daughters in this expansion.

Yea I'm starting to notice that as well. And the Mag'har Orcs are led by a woman instead of Alternate Universe Thrall because for some reason his parents now had a daughter instead of a son. When every new leader is suddenly a woman (Nightborne, Void Elves, etc.) it just starts to feel like agenda pushing instead of interesting storylines.

You mean to tell me that for all of WoD and the stories since, every character maintained their gender and class in the AU, except Thrall? Blizzard has lost its !@#$ing mind.
08/16/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Deathkman
We just always end up working together.

If there was an actual war with a winner and a loser, think of the drama that would ensue. If people think there are a lot of cries of developer favoritism now, imagine what there would be with a real war in the game.

Not gonna happen.
08/16/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Dremin
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Yea I'm starting to notice that as well. And the Mag'har Orcs are led by a woman instead of Alternate Universe Thrall because for some reason his parents now had a daughter instead of a son. When every new leader is suddenly a woman (Nightborne, Void Elves, etc.) it just starts to feel like agenda pushing instead of interesting storylines.

You mean to tell me that for all of WoD and the stories since, every character maintained their gender and class in the AU, except Thrall? Blizzard has lost its !@#$ing mind.

So spoilers incoming for anyone who cares...

I don't know what happened to everyone, I just know that as per the Wowhead page for the Mag'har recruitment questline, there's no Thrall. Instead, "Durotan and Draka in this timeline have a daughter - Geya'rah."

https://www.wowhead.com/news=284240/maghar-orc-allied-race-recruitment-scenario-broadcast-text-spoilers

I'm not even sure I understand all the AU's at this point anyway. It's mind-bending stuff.
*BFA IN 5 SECONDS*

Anduin: For the Alliance!
Sylvanas: For the Horde!
*Fade to Teldrassil Burning*
*Fade to Undercity covered in Blight*
*Fade to Zandalar ships owning the Alliance Fleet*
*Fade to Jania's Mom ripping her necklace off*
*End on clip of ZappiBoi tossing Saurfang his sons, necklace.*
08/16/2018 10:33 AMPosted by Mothamonker
We destroyed a alliance base and they retalliated by destroying one of our bases..and Now where fighting on a Island in the middle of nowhere ?
Shouldn't we be fighting on Azeroth since it's a battle for Azeroth?

New expansion should have been called discover a new Island, and we could have skipped the sacking of cities

First of all: we didn't destroy it. Roadkill queen did.

Second: the islands are part of Azeroth just like Pandaria and broken shore, aren't they?
Isn't Azeroth old enough that all islands/continents should have been discovered by now? Boats sail across the oceans, and there is flight.
08/16/2018 12:15 PMPosted by Shalindra
08/16/2018 12:02 PMPosted by Deathkman
We just always end up working together.

If there was an actual war with a winner and a loser, think of the drama that would ensue. If people think there are a lot of cries of developer favoritism now, imagine what there would be with a real war in the game.

Not gonna happen.

There doesn't have to be a winner or a loser, there just needs to be a focus on the war. It could end equally, with the alliance taking out Sylvanas, and the horde killing Greymane. Raid tiers that are different for the faction you play. That'd really get the blood boiling. But no, they'd never take such a risk..
08/16/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Tyranitas
Isn't Azeroth old enough that all islands/continents should have been discovered by now? Boats sail across the oceans, and there is flight.

THey've always been there in lore except maybe Pandaria (becasue it was shrouded in mist.

They made each new zone appear on the map as their expansions appeared.

No sense putting them on the map until needed.

Look at how old the earth was by the time Columbus sailed . THe American continents and even islands in the Pacific like Hawaii were not on the map but they still existed.
08/16/2018 01:10 PMPosted by Weidmann
08/16/2018 12:35 PMPosted by Tyranitas

THey've always been there in lore except maybe Pandaria (becasue it was shrouded in mist.

They made each new zone appear on the map as their expansions appeared.

No sense putting them on the map until needed.

Look at how old the earth was by the time Columbus sailed . THe American continents and even islands in the Pacific like Hawaii were not on the map but they still existed.

The age of the Earth isn't relevant. Rather, it's how long/short it took after global travel became possible by boat, and Columbus's discoveries took place shortly after that became possible. Hasn't global travel been around longer that that in Warcraft lore? Heck, in Legion we were traveling to other planets, and in WoD to a different time. Adding continents/island groups to the map at this point doesn't make sense to me from a story perspective.
We are gathering resources for the War effort, no matter where we are fighting/questing.

I'm not even sure I understand all the AU's at this point anyway. It's lazy uncreative stuff.

Fixed