Too many sidequests

General Discussion
We need a way to differentiate main story quests from those useless sidequests.
I hate sidequests. I just want to follow the story.

I've been trying to guess which are main quests and which aren't and then BAM quest log full.

Why the hell have blizzard returned to this TBC questing mindset? It was terrible then and is even worse now.
Kinda easy to pick up on if you read some of the quests.
Yeah i have to keep up a website to follow the main story only . There may be an addon though I haven't looked .

It is def annoying to not have it more differentiated like most other games by now.
The main story always has you moving onto the next part of the map. Also, an exclamation mark will show up on your map. Side quests don't show up on your map as an exclamation mark. Pretty easy to differentiate, at least for me it was.
08/21/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Kzi
Yeah i have to keep up a website to follow the main story only . There may be an addon though I haven't looked .

It is def annoying to not have it more differentiated like most other games by now.

Yeah I'm way off on side quests on the alts I'm leveling, I don't even know what the main story is any more. So far I did some useless quests for ashvale trading company did some pirate quests, that didn't even set up an inn as far as I can tell, then I unlocked this inn in some oasis, and now I'm helping some vulpera. I feel like I'm just wandering sometimes and I get lucky and stumble upon a place.
I don't mind all the sidequests, because some of the side stories are fun. Taking back the farmlands from Quillboars seemed out of place as a main story point initially though, till I realized how it might fit in with 'earning the trust and respect of the natives' but eh.

Maybe the real argument to be made is to not make some of the main content come off as side-questy. lol.
08/21/2018 11:07 AMPosted by Aytan
Why the hell have blizzard returned to this TBC questing mindset? It was terrible then and is even worse now.

Possibly to stave off the cries for classic servers. Well not all of us want classic servers. Ugh.
well they are a decent source of Rep
wait, you are complaining about one of the best parts of this expansion ? Creepy child syndrome in the Alliance area ?

You have a method... Follow Flynn, Lucille Waycrest, Taellia on the Alliance. Follow their quests and you'll complete the main stories for each zone. Everything else is side quests. If you reach a dead end, complete the hub they are currently standing in and don't wander off.

Personally, I am still hoping for even more side quests.
08/21/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Sorelai

You have a method... Follow Flynn, Lucille Waycrest, Taellia on the Alliance. Follow their quests and you'll complete the main stories for each zone. Everything else is side quests. If you reach a dead end, complete the hub they are currently standing in and don't wander off.

Try that in Stormsong Valley.
I think it would be cool if they changed the "!" and "?" to a certain color on your map to distinguish main storyline, versus side quests.
Am I the only one who sees some quests with silver or gold backgrounds instead of the usual yellow?

I mentioned it in the other thread and people acted like I was crazy and they'd never seen that.
08/21/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Isabelluh
I think it would be cool if they changed the "!" and "?" to a certain color on your map to distinguish main storyline, versus side quests.

Like they do for legendary and war campaign quests?

Hold on... Is the war campaign going to unlock a legendary equip piece?
Well I just found an addon that can help me. If anyone is interested it's name is BtWQuests.

People asked for it back.

I guess there isn't much way to tell when you're doing them but side quests are mostly diversions while the story portions are divided into chapters.

For example, I did all the chapters while leveling but am still finding the occasional side quest out in the world.

08/21/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Aytan

Brother Pike.
Must finish them all.

I actually did. ALL 3 zones. Every quest.
08/21/2018 11:19 AMPosted by Aytan
08/21/2018 11:14 AMPosted by Sorelai

I did... Everything except the chain leading up to the dungeon is a side quest. The bees, quillboars, even the horde invasion. All side quests and not necessary to complete the main story. They are necessary for Loremaster but that is more than the main story anyway.
Poor young ones these days, no attention span.
Best quest line was tales of 3 "sailors".

One couldn't even talk.