Pandaren, do you feel out of place?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
08/22/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Kaizoku
08/22/2018 11:55 AMPosted by Defiasbandit
Other than being called Elves, Blood Elves and elves from lord of the rings are not even close to being anything alike at all. The ears aren't even the same. Maybe you should sit there and come up with better insults while you're being neglected there.

Tolkien Rip Off.

Oooh we're super long lived pointy eared better-than-humans who are skilled in magic, umatched in arms, outlandishly pretty, blah blah MarySue, Tolkien Ripoffs.

Genuinely the most played out, boring, repeated ad nauseum race in any fantasy setting. But people like you are SOOO attracted to them...
You sound like my ex lol.

Anyway, how does 90% of the Blood Elf (formally High Elf) population being wiped out by the scourge make us Mary Sues? In fact, every elf that I know of that sparred or dueled with a non elf has lost. Illidan v Arthas, Kael'thas v Arthas, Anasterian v Arthas etc.

The only Elven trope that we actually have is that we're essentially perfect in how we look. Again, other than the name Blood Elves and LOTR Elves are nothing alike lol.
08/22/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Defiasbandit
08/22/2018 11:57 AMPosted by Kaizoku

Tolkien Rip Off.

Oooh we're super long lived pointy eared better-than-humans who are skilled in magic, umatched in arms, outlandishly pretty, blah blah MarySue, Tolkien Ripoffs.

Genuinely the most played out, boring, repeated ad nauseum race in any fantasy setting. But people like you are SOOO attracted to them...
You sound like my ex lol.

Anyway, how does 90% of the Blood Elf (formally High Elf) population being wiped out by the scourge make us Mary Sues? In fact, every elf that I know of that sparred or dueled with a non elf has lost. Illidan v Arthas, Kael'thas v Arthas, Anasterian v Arthas etc.

The only Elven trope that we actually have is that we're essentially perfect in how we look. Again, other than the name Blood Elves and LOTR Elves are nothing alike lol.

You just named Arthas beating three elves.

You also have the Masters of magic trope, master bowmen, swordsmen, master smiths, arrogant yet wise, live long, graceful fighters, skinny but somehow strong.

You're a lotr elf.
08/22/2018 12:08 PMPosted by Phillycheese
You're a lotr elf.

Saddest part is the denial that she's playing the blandest most overdone race in all the fantasy pantheon. Not even humans get that since they're just the reference point for all the others.
08/22/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Rovi
At least alliance side it's very easy to say that a pandaren would fight to defend their new home from Horde aggressors.

Horde side you might need to get a bit more creative in your backstory, or just claim to be conscripted.

08/22/2018 11:49 AMPosted by Grumbles
We need more fluffy pandas though! They're my 2nd favorite race!

FOR DA PANDAS! /highpaw!

Feelings mutual about you guys here.

/lowfour

I was ecstatic to see Ji Firepaw mentioned in "A Good War". Even though it was only in passing. Pandaren leaders are even in the background now, as we almost never see the two of them. (Ji and Aysa)
One of the very best players I've ever had the pleasure of meeting said to me the other night, "I've never played with any Pandaren besides Gabbie"

So... yes.
08/22/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Springsong
I was ecstatic to see Ji Firepaw mentioned in "A Good War". Even though it was only in passing. Pandaren leaders are even in the background now, as we almost never see the two of them. (Ji and Aysa)

Yeah, Blizzard does their best to pretend Pandaren aren't actually around. While gnomes as a whole get the short end of the stick, too, they at least show up in cut scenes in awesome power armor or mech spiders.
08/22/2018 12:01 PMPosted by Defiasbandit
...You sound like my ex lol.

You just named Arthas beating three elves.

You also have the Masters of magic trope, master bowmen, swordsmen, master smiths, arrogant yet wise, live long, graceful fighters, skinny but somehow strong.

You're a lotr elf.
The point is that unlike the portrayal of Elves in LOTR or other works, Elves in WoW are notorious for losing and getting beat back. Masters of magic? The Kirin Tor which holds more races than just Elves.Master bowmen? Okay, sure. Doesn't really mean much in a world with riflemen and tanks. Master smiths, what? Did we just forget that Dwarves exist or something? Arrogant or wise, pick one, every single race has those.

No, we are not LOTR Elves.

08/22/2018 12:10 PMPosted by Kaizoku
You're a lotr elf.

Saddest part is the denial that she's playing the blandest most overdone race in all the fantasy pantheon. Not even humans get that since they're just the reference point for all the others.
kk well, at least we weren't originally an April Fools joke.
Don't feel out of place Pandaren friends. I will gladly cuddle you.
08/22/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Defiasbandit
kk well, at least we weren't originally an April Fools joke.

Still more original than elves.

I'm seeing why your ex is your ex.

The point is that unlike the portrayal of Elves in LOTR or other works, Elves in WoW are notorious for losing and getting beat back. Masters of magic? The Kirin Tor which holds more races than just Elves.Master bowmen? Okay, sure. Doesn't really mean much in a world with riflemen and tanks. Master smiths, what? Did we just forget that Dwarves exist or something? Arrogant or wise, pick one, every single race has those.

Elves in WoW - Taught humans magic. Like LotR
Elves in WoW - Forged the Quel'serrar and Quel'dalar, per lore the greatest blades of their times.
Elves in WoW - Most Amazing Bowmen Evers
Elves in WoW - At one with nature and magic both.
Elves in WoW - Ancient elegant civilization long before humans
Elves in WoW - Hauntingly beautiful and physicially perfect
Elves in WoW - Great warriors and mages, peerless in battle and magic

You're a knockoff. Get used to it.
I imagine Pandaren have a lot of pent up rage from when they were forced to hold back their emotions with beer and Monketeering because Sha shenanigans
08/22/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Kaizoku
Still more original than elves.

I'm seeing why your ex is your ex.
I promise you're not.
To both.

Elves in WoW - Taught humans magic. Like LotR
Elves in WoW - Forged the Quel'serrar and Quel'dalar, per lore the greatest blades of their times.
Elves in WoW - Most Amazing Bowmen Evers
Elves in WoW - At one with nature and magic both.
Elves in WoW - Ancient elegant civilization long before humans
Elves in WoW - Hauntingly beautiful and physicially perfect
Elves in WoW - Great warriors and mages, peerless in battle and magic

You're a knockoff. Get used to it.
All nice and all, except one minor detail (and by minor I mean major);

All Elves are evolved from Trolls, who have THE longest living mortal empire in the world. So no, not LOTR Elves at all.
08/22/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Defiasbandit
All Elves are evolved from Trolls, who have THE longest living mortal empire in the world.

Hows this change the fact that elves, as written in the lore, high elf and blood elf and night elf and dye elf are Tolkien ripoffs?

Who cares if you evolved from a troll or a fairy, all the tropes fit. Knockoff.
Elves in WoW - Forged the Quel'serrar

Thank you elves, still one of my favorite swords in the game. Is it true that elves forged Quel'serrar though? I remember clearly having to find the hilt, add tons of mats to it, and then get Onyxia to breathe on it, which I figured was the "forging" process. I know a quick google would answer my question, but alas, laziness prevails.
08/22/2018 12:25 PMPosted by Pandocomando
Thank you elves, still one of my favorite swords in the game. Is it true that elves forged Quel'serrar though? I remember clearly having to find the hilt, add tons of mats to it, and then get Onyxia to breathe on it, which I figured was the "forging" process. I know a quick google would answer my question, but alas, laziness prevails.

We "reforged" it during the quest line. The ancient elf blademaster in Dire Maul reconstructed it from the Ancient Blade we had Onyxia breathe on.
08/22/2018 11:35 AMPosted by Pandocomando
We're just here for the beer.

I'm here for the Beer then... food
Pandaren are here for the food... then Beer
*passes some dim sum and a keg*
3 types of elves

Keebler elves- these guys are cool, luv dem cookies

Santa's elves- good guys,making toys and such

LoTR elves- we all know this one

Of the 3 which do WoW elves most copy?
Well this is just getting messy now
08/22/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Droe
I was thinking of making a Pandaren Monk (specifically on an RP realm) and it got me wondering: Do you pandaren feel out of place? I don't mean in a "you don't belong" way but rather, they don't seem like to type to participate in arms races for wiping out the other faction.

I know there is a Pandaren only guild on Wyrmrest Accord. It would help people feel more at ease. I race-changed my Pandaren shortly before Mists ended. Just couldn't get into the race. Right now she is human and I might make her a void-elf soon, even though she isn't a caster and the racials are skewed towards casting.
08/22/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Sorelai
08/22/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Droe
I was thinking of making a Pandaren Monk (specifically on an RP realm) and it got me wondering: Do you pandaren feel out of place? I don't mean in a "you don't belong" way but rather, they don't seem like to type to participate in arms races for wiping out the other faction.

I know there is a Pandaren only guild on Wyrmrest Accord. It would help people feel more at ease. I race-changed my Pandaren shortly before Mists ended. Just couldn't get into the race. Right now she is human and I might make her a void-elf soon, even though she isn't a caster and the racials are skewed towards casting.

The void elf racial is excellent if you ever make your monk a mistweaver.
08/22/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Kaizoku
We "reforged" it during the quest line. The ancient elf blademaster in Dire Maul reconstructed it from the Ancient Blade we had Onyxia breathe on.

Thanks! Makes sense! Been about 12 years since I went through the quest line lol!

08/22/2018 12:28 PMPosted by Eaginn
I'm here for the Beer then... foodPandaren are here for the food... then Beer*passes some dim sum and a keg*

Wow, that makes me hungry thinking about.