Why are rep pets double gated behind charms?

Pet Battles
Seriously, why, after many xpacks of having just the rep as the barrier do we now have charms which drop at abysmal rates, as the currency for REP pets?! Earning the rep is enough of a timegate as it is. Why do they need "double gating?"

I don't know whats going on in blizzards pet world but since legion (1 million gold calf, bling that never dropped once from a 6000 ALL XPACK, the prestige pets etc) there has been a steady decline to pets and collecting.

This expac we are lucky to get maybe 5 or so wild pets per area and all the others have been dumped behind RNG (island expeditions which no one seems to know much about) or this double gating.

Not one rare in the entire expansion even drops a pet.....

Blizzard please, throw us a bone here. And not a double gated, grind till you die in PVP or RNG bone, I am pretty damn sick of them....

I put up with the prestige crap last expac hoping they would learn from their mistake to find its gotten about 100 times worse this expansion.

Double gating is literally the same as the paragon caches last expact and for the most part, most people HATED that to the point blizzard didn't do it again.... with mounts. But have followed a similar trend now with rep and charms.

Sigh.
I agree 100%with this! At least make them cost less. Everything I have seen this expansion (even though I am having fun right now mostly) seems to be drawing towards us playing longer and longer for even less rewards. So frustrating...
I tweeted a few times about this, but never got a response.

It is really lame that they took the tradition of Rep-Pets being a reward and placing them behind a second grind.
Agree.

I like the fact the actual pet charm pets are spread out across different vendors, and even enjoy the fact there's weird little unlock quirks.

But the fact the rep vendors are pet charms is just stupid.
08/21/2018 09:49 PMPosted by Aayah
I agree 100%with this! At least make them cost less. Everything I have seen this expansion (even though I am having fun right now mostly) seems to be drawing towards us playing longer and longer for even less rewards. So frustrating...

I don't know if this was to keep people playing longer or to slow down people getting charms. Right now there will be two ways for people to get these pets.

Farm charms/ trade
Buy from the AH

I feel like Blizzard is banking on people doing WQ on alts. Right now if you have two alts have doubled the amount of charms you get from WQ or if you are lucky missions. If you are someone like me who has alts for Alliance and to get those order hall pets you have a few. Once the alt machine is running I will pull about 40 to 50 charms on a pet day. That is just me being lazy and not using all of my alts.

This being said I am not super happy about rep pets being behind pet charms.
It doesn't really make sense technically either. Why would reputation quartermasters want Polished Pet Charms instead of gold...? Other vendors, I can understand since they deal exclusively in Charms.
I’m gonna agree with everyone here.
Blizz doesn’t need to milk us like this. The pet community is arguably the most loyal subset of the entire player base - we're not going anywhere anytime soon.
Hoops to jump thru are cool, just don’t light them on fire beforehand.
08/21/2018 09:38 PMPosted by Missunknown

I don't know whats going on in blizzards pet world but since legion (1 million gold calf, bling that never dropped once from a 6000 ALL XPACK, the prestige pets etc) there has been a steady decline to pets and collecting.

Lol yea, I’m still dropping bling 6000’s trying for that dang thing.
I love this game and don't need all this gating to keep me playing. Actually that makes me not want to play.
08/23/2018 10:17 AMPosted by Tormento
I love this game and don't need all this gating to keep me playing. Actually that makes me not want to play.

Same. I like pets, they've been my favourite part of WoW alongside raiding since MoP. but I'm not ocd about them. I'll put tons of effort into getting the occasional pet, but if I have to put that same effort into obtaining every pet this expansion, then !@#$!@!#@! pets.

Emissaries wanting pet charms instead of gold for reaching revered is a huge blow - this is the first time in WoW's history where earning reputation will feel completely unrewarding. The gear's ilvl is also too low at both revered and exalted.

The 28 pets from expeditions I'd be fine with except the drop rate is so low it's basically broken.
08/26/2018 01:55 AMPosted by Alonnie
The 28 pets from expeditions I'd be fine with except the drop rate is so low it's basically broken.

I like expeditions but the reward from them are very lackluster.
I'm missing something. How do I do an expedition?

On the positive side, I suprised myself last Tuesday. I captured every capturable pet in BfA and earned the Dreadtick Leecher. I haven't used him yet, and I was surprised I did it all so quickly. I must have been obsessively hunting them.
Oh, and in regards to the topic, I would love to see a Shoulder Enchantment again. Another possibly is that all WQ pet battles could reward Polished Pet Charms. Or at least reward them more often. Some days, not even a single one of them rewards charms. Or the pet dungeons could reward the Polished Pet Charms. Either that or they'll simply fall into disuse, since there's little incentive to collect the Shiny Pet Charms.

I've got sufficient rep in at least four factions right now to buy their pets. I opted for the most expensive one for 250 charms and I can't afford another one.
08/26/2018 07:23 AMPosted by Loncis

At 116 as part of the war campaign quest chain you'll get a solo instructional expedition scenario, after you finish that you'll be able to queue for regular ones.

For Alliance talk to Flynn Fairwind who has a table along the wharf area near the Alliance flag ship. I don't do Horde but I'd imagine it's a similar spot for them.

Supposedly it's an account wide unlock so that future alts will be able to start doing them at 110.
I agree, it's absolutely ridiculous to gate a reputation reward behind a non farmable, 100% RNG currency.
08/30/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Elliorra
I agree, it's absolutely ridiculous to gate a reputation reward behind a non farmable, 100% RNG currency.

I second this. I thought it was great pets from rep vendors were making a comeback, but certainly not with the ludicrous number of pet charms they're being sold for.

If the cost was removed from rep vendors, kept with the unlockable vendors but halved, and added in dailies (aside from WQs) that guaranteed charms from the BFA master trainers, then I would be okay with it.
As I mentioned in another post, I would like if they went back to offering Rep pets for gold instead of the charms! I know a lot of people who have lots of gold from saving up for their Francois, me included.

So they put a price of 2k to 3k per Rep pet, easier to earn gold in the game than the to try and find every WQ (when they appear) that has the charms as a reward or the elusive mission table charms mission.

They also need to stop the Pet Battle WQ's from dropping ANYTHING other than pet related items. So many of the WQ's drop the azurite and resources, makes no sense to have the pet battle drop non pet items like the azurite or resources. You can have 3 or 4 pet WQ's up and MAYBE 1 offers something pet related, the others usually azurite or resources.

For the Island Expedition pets, I like that the have a rare "chance to drop" I got 1 and only 1 after doing an entire day of Expeditions. The other was given to my by a guildie who got one. They should keep some of the pets as rare drops, but the others should be available for sale with the doubloons we have, since the stuff you use them for is useless.
08/26/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Grarn
08/26/2018 07:23 AMPosted by Loncis

At 116 as part of the war campaign quest chain you'll get a solo instructional expedition scenario, after you finish that you'll be able to queue for regular ones.

For Alliance talk to Flynn Fairwind who has a table along the wharf area near the Alliance flag ship. I don't do Horde but I'd imagine it's a similar spot for them.

Supposedly it's an account wide unlock so that future alts will be able to start doing them at 110.

It is account wide! Been doing them on an alt since 112.
Yeah, I'm not really feeling the changes to how pets have been handled here. It feels really gross to have multiple locks on reputation pets. And then pet battle world quests not offering charms, but resources and azerite makes it harder to collect.

But, mostly, I really dislike the feeling of completing a quest that would usually end with getting a pet only to get a letter in the mail to lead you to a pet vendor instead. It feels like a huge let-down to get excited over 'aww, they want me to take home this baby brutosaur.' only to get to the NPC and see a price tag on the baby when the text made a big deal about how much better off it would be with me.

I'd understand maybe one quest to do this to introduce players to the pet vendor, but this has happened with five pets now and it just feels weirdly manipulative.

And island expeditions have been a bust for me when it comes to pets. My team has run days of mythic expeditions in hopes of something and we've only seen one pet. I'd much rather have had pets on island expeditions be tied to unique vendors out in the wilds on the island to encourage exploration rather than low % RNG drops.