Recommend a monitor for my setup

Games, Gaming and Hardware
I have a very modest PC that I built a while back. It's got
GPU: GTX 960
CPU: Intel G3258 4 Pentium 3.20 GHz 3M Cache 2 Core Processor
8 GB RAM

I'd like a new monitor that I could play WoW on or watch Netflix on, nothing fancy. I'm curious what the best sort of specs I should go for on a monitor where I wouldn't be wasting anything (I don't want a monitor with capabilities that my setup can't support).

Thanks!
A 1920x1080 resolution (1080p) monitor of whatever size you like and is within your budget. You'll probably end up using an HDMI or Display Port connection, but possibly a DVI connection. Without knowing your exact GTX 960 model, I can't actually say for sure what connection you want to look for.
HDMI is the most common so I would start from there and iirc just about every video card in the last few generations had an HDMI port.
get a 1080p 144hz monitor.

your gpu can't handle 144fps, but its a better investment than throwing away the money on a 60hz one.
I checked and it's got 3 display ports, one dvi, and one hdmi. Not sure that makes a big difference.
08/23/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Thucthuc
I checked and it's got 3 display ports, one dvi, and one hdmi. Not sure that makes a big difference.

Just means you can basically get whatever monitor you want, in terms of connectivity. I'd still recommend sticking to a 1080p monitor, due to your GPU, but otherwise you have a lot of sizes and brands to choose from. 27" is generally a good size these days, although many would argue it's too large for that resolution. 24-25" should also look good.

If you want to get really "serious" you can start worrying about things like panel type (IPS or TN) and response time (measured in milliseconds). IPS panels generally have better color accuracy and viewing angles; TN panels generally have better response times. With your hardware and usage, I'd probably just go for a good mid-ranged IPS panel that has 8 MS or less response time -- a fairly common configuration.

There is one other thing that I think is worth mentioning, although it's not something that is advertised on the box. Some monitors use a tech called "Pulse Width Modulation" to control brightness. I'll spare you the details, but that particular tech causes eye strain and headaches for some people, especially after prolonged usage. If this is an issue for you, I recommend just doing a quick google search of the model number followed by "pwm."

Oh, and I'd probably ignore anything that references "G-Sync" or "Free-Sync." They aren't really going to be things you will be taking advantage of. If you happen to find a monitor that you like and it has one of those features, just make sure it's "G-Sync" because that's the one that can possibly work with NVidia cards.