Vol'dun wasn't really my jam.

General Discussion
I'm in Nazmir now and enjoying that more, but the Vol'dun leveling experience took me way back (in a bad way) to the pre-MoP meandering I remember not-so-fondly from Vanilla-Cataclysm.

I thought parts of Vol'dun were neat. It's the first time that WoW has successfully done "desert", and that was neat. It reminded me of the Salt Flats in Vanilla (which was strangely a high point for my vanilla leveling experience). The story around the Faithless was alright. The Honey-whatever Inn was silly and I enjoyed that.

I just felt like most of Vol'dun was unfinished. There was an excessive number of fetch quests and minor quest hubs that went nowhere and didn't have anything to do with each other.

I haven't finished leveling yet but I've moved on to Nazmir and it's much, much better. I still don't think any of it matches WoD or Legion for leveling, but at least I feel like I'm there for a reason and not just doing chores for irrelevant NPC's the whole way through.
I hated Vol'dun the most. Kinda felt like they just threw in there as a 3rd zone for Horde and called it a day.
That's what I felt like. The zone itself looked cool but the story and quest design just screamed of being rushed and slapped together last minute. So many of the quest hubs were just random fetch trash that had nothing to do with the story.

Some people liked the vanilla questing experience.

I did not.
It definitely has the least amount going on. Nazmir has a clear goal from the start.

Voldun is muddled from the start and just ends up being a help the underdogs topple the regime story, but has the best races for sure.

Zandalar is somewhere in between
But...alpacas.
The quests there were rather slap-dash, but I do have to give Blizzard props for actually making a desert visually interesting.
As long as the terrain ain't entirely terrible and you're not getting 1-2 quests here, 1-2 quests there (like, 4-5 quests in the same spot instead), then I don't really care what the story is or what the fetch quests are....

Zuldazar was just.... ridiculous, and nearly Anything would be better.
08/21/2018 07:15 AMPosted by Amoc
I'm in Nazmir now and enjoying that more, but the Vol'dun leveling experience took me way back (in a bad way) to the pre-MoP meandering I remember not-so-fondly from Vanilla-Cataclysm.

I thought parts of Vol'dun were neat. It's the first time that WoW has successfully done "desert", and that was neat. It reminded me of the Salt Flats in Vanilla (which was strangely a high point for my vanilla leveling experience). The story around the Faithless was alright. The Honey-whatever Inn was silly and I enjoyed that.

I just felt like most of Vol'dun was unfinished. There was an excessive number of fetch quests and minor quest hubs that went nowhere and didn't have anything to do with each other.

I haven't finished leveling yet but I've moved on to Nazmir and it's much, much better. I still don't think any of it matches WoD or Legion for leveling, but at least I feel like I'm there for a reason and not just doing chores for irrelevant NPC's the whole way through.

Not sure what you mean by meandering. All I know is that I've leveled through all the zones on a Horde and Alliance character, and Stormsong Valley is by far the worst slog of them all. It's a huge shame too, cause it's such a gorgeous zone but the questing experience is the worst so far in BfA.
I personally loved Vol'dun, though part of that could be my bias for the Vulpera and Sethrak, whom I find very interesting. I enjoyed all the storylines, including the side ones. Quite frankly, to me Vol'dun was what Uldum SHOULD have been and wasn't.
Friggin fox people ruined it for me. Literally derailed my lvling buz a day. Wish we could just kill em...
Nazmir has a better start-to-finish story, but Vol’dun has better individual quest lines and moments that sick with you. The Goldtusk Inn, Dolly & Dot, and the different Vulpera personalities were so memorable. I don’t think you can say one is objectively better than the other, it’s personal preference.
08/21/2018 10:48 AMPosted by Taigu

Not sure what you mean by meandering. All I know is that I've leveled through all the zones on a Horde and Alliance character, and Stormsong Valley is by far the worst slog of them all. It's a huge shame too, cause it's such a gorgeous zone but the questing experience is the worst so far in BfA.

Meandering, in this context, means the question experience is slow, winding and directionless. The plot isn't very coherent, you just kind of travel aimlessly from quest-hub to quest-hub completing generally uninteresting tasks that have nothing to do with the next. Even the worst zones in Legion had better writing than Vol'dun.

08/21/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Holyflower
Nazmir has a better start-to-finish story, but Vol’dun has better individual quest lines and moments that sick with you. The Goldtusk Inn, Dolly & Dot, and the different Vulpera personalities were so memorable. I don’t think you can say one is objectively better than the other, it’s personal preference.

I did enjoy the Goldtusk Inn (because it was so bizarre), but the Vulpera can go take a hike for all I'm concerned. I have no specific problem with them but they're trying a bit too hard to be cute for my tastes. Of course everything I'm saying is subjective (it's impossible to talk about writing objectively) but I felt that Vol'dun was a steep drop in narrative quality from what we've seen over the last few expansions.
I really didn't dig Vul'dun

but....

Dolly and Dot are my best friends....
I hated vol'dun for two reasons:

WARNING SPOILERS

1) The story/characters did not feel very impactful. Jakra'zet had very few interactions and then Mythrax's reveal felt over and done with without any resolution until later after all zones were done and then even after that he just disappears again.

2) This part is just a personal preference but I loathe a desert scenery. It is very bland for my personal taste. Naz'mir and Drustvar are the most aesthetically pleasing to me so far this expansion. (I love haunted forest vibes, RIP Brill)
I already forgot the story of vol'dun. And the fox people are annoying AF. Not my favorite, Nazmir was way better.
I absolutely loved Voldun
08/21/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Felsavior
Friggin fox people ruined it for me. Literally derailed my lvling buz a day. Wish we could just kill em...

What did they do to YOU?
08/21/2018 10:42 AMPosted by Greatbobbo
But...alpacas.

When I first saw them I thought they were adorable.... 'til one smacked me in the face so I had to teach it a lesson.. then instantly felt bad afterwards LOL
I think the issue with the Vulpera is that they're really unoriginal. They're cute in a really cliché and overdone way (little furbies with high-pitched voices and child-like innocence) that might be okay if you're into Chibi, but it'll also annoy a lot of people.

I don't really have a problem with them but they're pretty forgettable IMO. I like the turtle-people a lot better. They're a bit more original and make me chuckle.

As for Vol'dun, it just really didn't seem like it had a story. It could have been done sooo much better (even by Blizz's writers) but they very clearly rushed the quest content and stories. It's like each writer was given a general area and told to make a separate story about it, and then it all got mashed together into an incoherent mess after the fact.