Help! I've been scammed!

General Discussion
Just curious as to whether this is something I can report or not (I already did, but just wanna know what to expect!)

So a player in trade chat was offering to pay 500g per normal dungeon run to a tank. I told him my item level and everything, and he said it was fine. We ran 4 dungeons and then I asked him to pay and he did: 2000gold.

We continued on for 3 more dungeons before I had to go to sleep! When I asked him to pay, he put me on ignore :(

I feel that this should be reportable as a scam, because he asked for for a service that I provided, but didn't pay for it.

Should I be in the right here?
You definitely got scammed but I don't know if Blizzard will do anything about it in this case.

In the future, you should always take payment up front for your services. You know you're trustworthy, you don't know if they are. If something comes up you can always return the gold, but don't give someone your time until you've been paid for it.

That way, you can never be scammed again
Nope.
Gold scam in small amount would probably not be actionable. Next time, just put up a safety policy that you won't run if the person hasn't paid up in advance yet.
What dungeons were you running if you don't mind me asking? Just curious about what dungeons are worth what kind of fees to take someone through...
Blizzard does not care what happens when the transaction involves gold, so long as no real currency changes hands.
Next time, if you want to do that sort of thing, finish the first boss and demand money up front. It's a show of good faith with the first boss because you've demonstrated that you will do as you're paid, but that you're only gonna do it if you get paid.
08/17/2018 12:59 AMPosted by Fayara

I feel that this should be reportable as a scam, because he asked for for a service that I provided, but didn't pay for it.

Should I be in the right here?

You were in the wrong for not getting the money up front. I would have said,

"I'm playing with you and enjoying myself, so you know I'll continue playing but I don't know that you'll pay me 500 gold. "

If he balked, I would have said,

"It was YOUR idea, so GOOD DAY SIR! *hat tip*"
You could always put a ticket in and try?

I don't think Blizz will give you your money though, might just ban the person responsible for a few days.
Yes you were scammed, unfortunately I don't think it's actionable.

However, you could announce to others in tradechat that he is a scammer. Don't feel like you're just being salty or vindictive, you'd be helping people avoid the same fate.
I don't really see the difference between a gold scam and say, stealing someone's crafting/enchanting materials when providing a service...if that makes sense? I've heard stories of blizzard punishing people for scamming enchanters and crafters in the past, so I suppose I don't really see a difference, if you get my meaning.

Well, I contacted his guild master to ask him if he can ask his member to do the right thing, but unfortunately he refused...I sure hope Blizzard can do something, this is pretty messed up!
This is like reporting a scam of being promised Chuck E Cheese tickets for winning skeet ball for a kid, only he runs off with them after you won.
08/17/2018 01:19 AMPosted by Fayara
I don't really see the difference between a gold scam and say, stealing someone's crafting/enchanting materials when providing a service...if that makes sense? I've heard stories of blizzard punishing people for scamming enchanters and crafters in the past, so I suppose I don't really see a difference, if you get my meaning.

Well, I contacted his guild master to ask him if he can ask his member to do the right thing, but unfortunately he refused...I sure hope Blizzard can do something, this is pretty messed up!

I have been scammed back in Wrath out of enchanting mats before the non-trade slot was made. Blizz doesn't nor shouldn't do anything. You, a conscious person, can make the decision to trust them (as I did before) or not, and it is your own responsebility to not be scammed. I've lost a lot of gold and mats in the past and learned from it. Sometimes it be like that
HALT! Yes report it, you won’t get your gold but blizzard will not let that scammer get off scott free. As long as it’s clear in the chat logs about the deal, action will be taken.

EDIT: it’s a unsupported transaction that’s why blizzard will not return the Gold.

Source is from 3 years on CS forums:)
I don't know if they will remove gold from his account to give to you, but they may actually action him with a 3 day. I had someone offer to trade their belt drop for mine in a heroic raid last expansion, then like a fool, I fell for a click/close trade scam that allowed him to take my belt without giving me his. He acted like it was a server error, and claimed to open a ticket. I was skeptical, particularly at the end when he whispered "Thanks for the belt" and put me on ignore.

I contacted a GM and though loot disputes aren't technically covered, they were able to read exactly what we said in private message with one another, and I am assuming, any kind of laughs he had about it with his friends in private message or guild.

Since I knew someone in his guild, he got kicked out of that guild and they said he was unable to log in for awhile, or didn't log in at all. On the loot side, the GM gave me back my belt, citing that behavior like his was exactly what they wanted to avoid in this community.
I do believe it is actionable so long as it was an agreed on trade in the blizzard chat. They keep logs of the chat so can check.

This was all said when the end of legion runs were being sold. The players were warned not to trust or use those services by people that insisted on talking outside of chat as with no logs no recourse.
08/17/2018 01:19 AMPosted by Angharradh
Yes you were scammed, unfortunately I don't think it's actionable.

However, you could announce to others in tradechat that he is a scammer. Don't feel like you're just being salty or vindictive, you'd be helping people avoid the same fate.

This was the key right here! I tried to talk to the GM of his guild, just asking if they could talk to ask the person to do the right thing, which didn't seem to make any difference. The scammer either didn't respond or just said 'no'. After some of the replies here, I wasn't confident that Blizzard would take any action, and followed this advice.

I took it to trade chat and started yell'in my little head off...and it worked! He immediately unignored me to confront me about how I 'said I was going to bed', but never denied it. He then mailed me the gold (which coincidentally showed up over an hour late) and said he had sent it over mail all along.

MUST HAVE BEEN THE MAIL I HEAR THAT'S BEEN BUGGY LATELY RIGHT? (Even though he put me on ignore, brushed off his friend talking to him about it, and had to be called out in tradechat to even take the time to take me off ignore).

What's funny is that after I started spreading my warning into tradechat, he advertised the SAME SCAM as I was spreading the word! Whoops!

I closed my ticket, got my gold and feel a little bit better about my server's community :)
Lodge a ticket.
Get absolutely ethered.