How demanding is raiding?

General Discussion
Just bought the game and I've been having a blast clearing heroic dungeons and doing world quests, so i guess the next step would be raiding?

What i'm wondering is: how demanding is it? mostly on the enchantments, consumables and gems part, are they absolutely necessary for proper raiding?

Any particular profession to max that may aid in this process? either by generating gold to purchase from other players or doing it by oneself.

Thanks in advance.
If you want to raid any level higher than LFR - you should gem and enchant your gear and use the correct consumables. They DO make a difference.
I can't help on the professions - I am not good at making gold. :-(
You can do normal without enchanting your stuff, but its always better to do it. Don't go into heroic without it. Its pretty easy to make money with professions, I personally do jewelcrafting because it means I can make gems for slots myself, and they sell decently well. Money is not too hard to come by.
LFR - Barely,but at all. Just have DBM installed and you'll be fine.

Normal - A little at the start of an xpac. DBM becomes almost a must. Recommend watching the FattBoss Guides from here up.

Heroic - Just needs better gear.

Mythic - This is where it gets demanding. DBM and FattBoss are a must and you'd better in full heroic level gear at worst.
Having gems/enchant/flasks will help the raid. I personally like alchemy because of the double flask duration, making pots and you can make gold by selling them on the ah, but you dont need a specific profession for raiding.

With raiding i suggest that you find a normal/heroic raiding guild on your server for starter. Look up the recruit-spam on trade chat or check your server forum for recruitment post and find a guild that you can raid at their raid time. You can raid on the group finder but it can be quite time consuming and frustrating, instead of a guild.

Hope it help
You can do up to and including heroic without a guild. I decided for this expansion I’m not going to raid with a guild since I don’t want to be Iocked into a schedule. I had no problem running my own pugs in Legion. If you want to do mythic of course you need a guild. But personally I don’t find mythic for me worth the hassle anymore
The most important part is try to raid as soon as possible when a new raid is out, the longer you wait the higher the requirements are(achievements and ilv).
08/08/2018 11:23 PMPosted by Conorn
DBM and FattBoss are a must

Nice meme

08/08/2018 11:19 PMPosted by Tamalverde
What i'm wondering is: how demanding is it? mostly on the enchantments, consumables and gems part, are they absolutely necessary for proper raiding?

For lfr? No. For normal? No, but you still should. Yes for heroic. 100% yes for mythic.

Lfr, you could take a nap and be fine through it. Normal, you need a basic understanding of the boss and output.

Heroic, you need to know the bosses well, and do mechanics, and have good output.

Mythic, you need to know all the standard boss mechanics well, and adjust to the mythic mechanic additions. high output, quickly handle mechanics.

I'd always suggest engineering and alchemy. Most useful by far for raiding.

Min/maxing is a big part of high level raiding. If you ever want to get into like, hardcore heroic/mythic at all, you need to be simming your gear, and be proficient at your class/spec.

There are class discords. I highly recommend them for getting better at your character. This is the one for hunter; https://discordapp.com/invite/yqer4BX

For simming, let me give you two links. Obviously, don't get crazy into it just yet, but knowing they exist and how they work is never a bad thing.

https://wow.curseforge.com/projects/simulationcraft
addon for in-game

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/topgear
website that uses it.

You go in game, type /simc, and copy the data from the popup box. Just control-copy.

Take that data, and paste it in the website, and mess around with the features for a bit. I personally find it fun.

None of this is needed for basic raiding, like lfr, normal, or casual heroic. But again, knowing it exists, is never bad.

If you have any questions about what I've said, or about raiding in general, even if you think it's silly, ask.
Your gear should always be fully gemmed and enchanted, and you should always have at minimum a Flask active at all times (you really should use pots/food too for progression). This isn't pre-wotlk; these things are very cheap now* and can entirely be purchased from the Auction House.

More importantly, it shows that you're dedicated to your character and the group/guild you're progressing with. Those that can't even be bothered to gem/enchant their gear give off an impression that they are only there to get carried, and that they may not be good at their spec or raiding.

*Flasks usually are ridiculous at the beginning of an expansion, in which case I'd recommend using Legion flasks when you're not pushing anything cutting edge. You can also run with the lesser enchants/gems if it's gear you're going to replace quickly. Most guilds won't have an issue with that unless you're starting cutting edge off the bat.
If you have a pulse and you play typical console games on hard mode, you can do heroics and chip away at mythics. It's not that big of a deal. Certainly not the benchmark of game difficulty that everyone makes it out to be.
Professions are a personal choice. You could run Herb/Alch and make your own consumables, which saves a lot. Alch is always a money maker because flasks and pots are always in demand. Enchanting is a good prof too, so long as you have enough mats to make enchants with.

Other professions have their own unique way of making gold. Most of the crafting profession gear isn't very relevant and loses its value quickly, but you can farm old patterns for transmog pr twinking that sell well. I sold a Cata spellthread for 10k yesterday, and it cost me about 300g to make it. That's 9,700g as profit off one item.
Oh, I forgot, you also have to be capable of paying attention to something for six minutes at a time.
Raiding is as demanding as the guild you're in wants it to be. 2-3 nights a week is about the average.

You can raid mythic with a guild who is content with just trying their best, not getting upset if they don't get cutting edge.
You can raid mythic with a guild who wants to get cutting edge each tier.
You can raid mythic with a guild who wants to get cutting edge each tier and get a good world ranking.
Etc.
Just bought the game and I've been having a blast clearing heroic dungeons and doing world quests, so i guess the next step would be raiding?

Any particular profession to max that may aid in this process? either by generating gold to purchase from other players or doing it by oneself.

Thanks in advance.

If you're looking to take raiding seriously I would recommend figuring out what class you want to play and then looking into the Discord or any source of information on what your BiS (Best in Slot) pieces are and what consumables you should be using as well as enchantments.

Thanks in advance.

I mean beyond the obvious stuff like enchanting your gear showing up to raid with personal consumables ect, raiding is really not that hard. Read the dungeon journal watch some boss kill videos so you arent going into a raid blind then follow your raids strategy for killing a particular boss. Follow the mechanics as best you can, dont stand in the goo on the ground ect.
Before optimising yourself, find out what is expected of a raider in each guild.
Breaking any of these 'rules' is the fastest way to get yourself a traumatic social experience.
For LFR, aslong you don't fall asleep, you can do it with 0 enchant/gems.

Normal, you can enchant/gem your gear with the cheap version. Enchant/Gem do make difference, but for example, if you got new gear while in the raid, you don't exactly need to enchant/gem it on the spot.

Heroic, enchant/gem is a must, though you're not forced to use the expensive version of the enchant/gem. But you have to make sure your gear is enchanted/gemmed at all times.
Also bring consumables, Flask is a must. Food and Potion is secondary, though i would recommend using them if you have surplus gold.

Mythic, you have to be in an actual guild (or group in the same realm). This just not require you to be on your very top conditions, but you also need to be prepared to wipe over and over again until you learn every nook and cranny of a boss mechanics.

As for Profession

For early in the expansion, i would recommend getting 2 of any of the gathering profession.
There's Scrapper which will turn gear into materials depending on the type of the gear, this will be very important because of Warfront.
When your faction are the one that preparing to attack Warfront, there's dailies where you turn ins profession materials and crafts, they give A LOT of reputations and AP. This will be very, VERY important early on.

Material for profession will be scarce early in the expansion and the demand is high, meaning that it will sold for a very high amount of gold. Supply and Demand my boy.
Once we're further into the expansion, especially when they introduce something like Blood of Sargeras where you can convert them into Mats, i would recommend swapping one of your gathering profession into Alchemy and make an alt and make them into Jewelcrafting+Enchanting.

Flask, Pots, Gems and Enchantment will stay relevant for the entirety of the expansions, which mean they will be your source of income once Mats became a surplus in the market, caused by either people not turning in their scrapped gear into rep/ap for Warfront dailies or there's a new way to "buy" profession mats.
Can't go wrong with enchanting and/or alchemy, people love their enchants and their flasks, also get cooking food buffs are a big seller. As for raiding you might want to look for a raiding guild of some sort, I'd recommend you aim for a casual guild that is gunning for ahead of the curve.

As for raid tiers, there are four and the level of commitment needed in each one is magnitudes higher.

LFR: historically its been a tourist mode, not sure if it'll stay that way in bfa but its likely. Filled with players who don't really know what do, but will eventually kill the bosses and some players will get weak loot. Great for alts, but bad for learning a raid since lfr wings come out slowly. Several bosses will have mechanics that some people or more should know.

Normal: the casual raiding experience and probably the best starting point if lfr isn't already out. Bosses have mechanics, but most will be fairly forgiving as long as you don't stand in DEADLY mechanics. You will want to have a decent grasp of how to do damage and be in a group of people who also have a decent grasp of what they are doing. Pugs will be doing this week 1 to completion, but a guild is nice too.

Heroic: the middle ground where mechanics can be nasty and players generally need to pull their weight. Mechanics from normal are beefed up and each fight usually has at least one new mechanic to learn. Character power required to get through this is more intensive and avoiding avoidable stuff is more important, killing the last boss in this mode gives you the ahead of the curve achievement which coupled with a character ilvl beefed up with heroic gear should get you into heroic pugs. Very few pugs will complete this week 1 unless uldir is undertuned, this is around the point where you want that raiding guild if this is your goal.

Mythic: the hard mode, the best guilds in the world will be asking and answering the important questions like "what if we bring five rogues to ignore this mechanics" or "what if we just don't bring melee for this boss". Bosses will have way more health, do way more damage and have mechanics that kinda make the fights go topsy turvy. Pugs will rarely clear this difficulty, in patch 8.2, if you want to do mythic for cutting edge you will want a raiding guild, if you want to clear the first few bosses you might be able to pug those midway through the raid tier if you are tricked out in heroic gear.
Simple answer. Go alchemy for 2 hour flasks. They even stay on when you die