Blizz felt Alliance needed Justification

Story Forum
1 2 3 5 Next
https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/13/world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth-last-expansion/

I just cannot believe how out of touch they are.

"The justification for punching an orc in the face felt thin"? After SoO? Seriously?

So we're getting saddled with the villainbat again because Garrosh somehow wasn't ENOUGH?
Why be your own opposite faction with good and evil facets when you can be the soulless monsters to our angelic crusaders?
The story is filled with Alliance bias and quite frankly majority of all neutral content is designed for the Alliance player.
Explained it in the same quote.
the game’s been quick to write it off as a rogue element, returning to the status quo.

And its true. Everything was blamed on Garrosh just like everything is being blamed on Sylvanas.
Criiiiiiiiiiinge.
Nothing more to be said the Alliance are the good guys because the writing team likes them if the horde has a compelling character they either kill him/her off villain bait them or sideline them
“We knew the reaction to the burning of Teldrassil was going to be very passionate. It did exceed our expectations. Afrasiabi was recently quoted as saying all those feelings mean we’re doing our job as storytellers, and that the community cares about what we’re doing.”

“While a single moment may have gotten really impassioned, to an element where we need to take care of our people, make sure they’re treated with the respect they deserve; at the same time we have so much admiration for how much this content means to our fans.”

Platner added: “I enjoy watching the reaction videos of people watching the cinematics. I feel as emotional as they do, double for me as it’s content we’ve worked hard to create. Good or bad, it’s emotion, and emotion comes from good storytelling. We’ve hit some places we’ve always hoped to achieve.”

“Storytelling is about highs and lows,” said Gregory. “Without the extremely impassioned response of the burning of Teldrassil, I don’t think Old Soldier would have resonated so well. It’s like a concert, ‘I see why I had to hear that to hear this’.”

Fuuuuuuuuume.
08/13/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Ugom
"The justification for punching an orc in the face felt thin"? After SoO? Seriously?
It looks like that might have been part of the question/interviewer, not Blizzard?
Gotta be honest, but I think the Horde needed justification more than the Alliance did.

I feel like the Horde has done enough to the Alliance in the past to make them untrustworthy when mutual survival isn't at sake. From the First War to the Bombing of Theramore, I think enough was there.
Jesus Christ stop thinking Old Soldier fixed everything, you slapped a very nice band aid on a severed arm.
Too late, Blizzard. No matter what you say or do, all Horde content from Warbringers: Sylvanas onward is a parody.

Blight the Light. [twirls 'stache]
08/13/2018 08:50 AMPosted by Salvamar
08/13/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Ugom
It looks like that might have been part of the question/interviewer, not Blizzard?

I was fixing to say this.

The part that the OP quotes looks like it came from the interviewer. So I don't think anything in this interview actually says Teldrassil existed to give Alliance players justification.
I'm not sure if they really understand why some people are upset.

For me, the burning of Teldrassil isn't a deep emotional moment. Instead, it just provokes frustration that the Horde keeps playing the part of the aggressor. Thrall's Horde is dead, and we're now just a pale reflection of the Warcraft 2 Horde, which is not what I signed up to play.
How does "Old Soldier" fix anything for Horde players? It's not like we can join the Saurfang faction. We are still left as goons for the super villain.

"Old Soldier" makes that even worse. It just reemphasizes how awesome Saurfang is before he quits the Horde and tells us we are acting without honour.
Blizz really is pushing this whole "Mud and Honor" thing huh?
08/13/2018 08:55 AMPosted by Ximothy
Gotta be honest, but I think the Horde needed justification more than the Alliance did.

Maybe I'm being overly petty but the article sounds like it just confirms they don't care about horde motivation. To specifically say they want to make sure alliance are motivated enough while leaving the horde with next to nothing.
I like how their emphasis is on why the Alliance needed justification as if it was never considered that the Horde may like a spoonful of that as well. Especially after defeating the Legion together.

I mean, we could retroactively pretend it's Horde outrage over Genn's assault on Sylvanas in Stormheim, but it seems a bit late for that now.
    Platner added: “I enjoy watching the reaction videos of people watching the cinematics."

So they watch reaction videos and decide whether it was successful or not.
/faceplam

Instead of showing hint of apologize, they just went "We're happy with what we're doing and how community reacts". Literally what?
don't all the youtubers/streamers play alliance? I think tradechat is the only horde streamer
08/13/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Shippyship
Maybe I'm being overly petty but the article sounds like it just confirms they don't care about horde motivation. To specifically say they want to make sure alliance are motivated enough while leaving the horde with next to nothing.

I'm starting to believe that Blizz thinks ya'll on Red Team don't need motivation.

I think that Blizzard is starting to buy into their own RP and sees "the Horde" (in-game faction and players both) as constantly chomping at the bit to crack Blue Team skulls and willing to go off the hook at slightest (or no) provocation.

Whereas "the Alliance" is still Captain America faction and will just sit in our keeps and trees until the Horde does something naughty. No matter how many times I try to explain to them that the latest, wildly successful film featuring Cap (which is what would largely resonate in the cultural zeitgeist when they think "Captain America") was about Steve Rogers railing against passivity and wanting to be a more active force in the world.