I Grinded Rep for My Allied Races. You Should too.

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 Next
08/18/2018 03:06 PMPosted by Ahken
08/18/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Aennicus

Its not !@#$in free! Its 75 dollars! 60 for expansion and 15 for sub. For most people that's anywhere from 2-8 hours at work to afford. Do you have literally no concept of money and how much is translated from time.

People worked at their jobs to pay to do a thing they enjoy with a race they enjoy. Stop being willfully ignorant of that fact.

Right and by that logic nothing should be worked for. You bought a game that has an option to unlock races.....like mounts, gear and whatnot.

Mounts and gear aren't a primary focus of the expansions marketing or a main selling point. Nor have races ever been locked like this. Stupid comparison.
08/18/2018 09:22 AMPosted by Ahken
Stop acting like it's a huge deal and just do it, nothing is free in life.
You're not my mommy! I don't have to do what you say!
08/18/2018 03:02 PMPosted by Aennicus

Its not !@#$in free! Its 75 dollars! 60 for expansion and 15 for sub. For most people that's anywhere from 2-8 hours at work to afford. Do you have literally no concept of money and how much is translated from time.

People worked at their jobs to pay to do a thing they enjoy with a race they enjoy. Stop being willfully ignorant of that fact.

Right and by that logic nothing should be worked for. You bought a game that has an option to unlock races.....like mounts, gear and whatnot.

What a stupid comparison. I can understand mounts and gear, to a point being time gated, but time gating races is incredibly stupid, specially when you factor in having to level it. I understand time gating mounts and ect, to a point simply because they dont have enough content to keep us busy without it but the race thing is nothing more then trying to force lock in.

No other top end mmo does something so stupid.
08/18/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Edmonor
Next xpac release:

New Races!! *disclaimer exalted with hydraxian waterlords*

New Classes!! *disclaimer exalted with Ogri'la*

New Zones!! *disclaimer TBC loremaster and have killed Gruul 2656 times*

Epic new storyline!! *disclaimer level 7 different highmountain shaman to 120*

...and the forum apologists rejoiced.

New rogue spec! *disclaimer exalted with Ravenholdt*
08/18/2018 03:42 PMPosted by Yoshimoto

What a stupid comparison. I can understand mounts and gear, to a point being time gated, but time gating races is incredibly stupid, specially when you factor in having to level it. I understand time gating mounts and ect, to a point simply because they dont have enough content to keep us busy without it but the race thing is nothing more then trying to force lock in.

The purpose of time-gating races in this way is to get people to buy the expansion, subscribe for a period of time, then quit. It's a one-shot deal that makes money from extreme short-term profits. They know new players will quit over it, but they've got their money. And these were new players who probably would never have become long-term subscribers, as most new players do quit before reaching that threshold. But they're also new subscribers who probably wouldn't have joined/rejoined if it hadn't been for that hook.

I agree. Nobody in their right mind who understood the full details of how they will have to create and level up a throwaway character in the present leveling system, then play that character for months to get rep and flight, then roll another one of the desired allied race and begin the leveling process again...

Yeah. No. This is just a scheme to get people who aren't subscribers to buy the game then quit.
I, too, think things should never be improved, because I hate people who might have more fun than me because I'm spiteful.

We should go back to a 50% infant mortality rate while we're at it. Hey, my ancestors in the 11th century had to go through it, so should you!

Look, the fact that "I did it so you should too" is your argument does nothing except prove that A). the grind is punishingly tedious and boring and B). you really, really don't like the idea of things being easier and potentially more fun for people who are not you. because you're selfish.

Grow up.
I didn't mind the grind. But the time-gate to the grind was blah. I finished my Void-Elf rep last night with 20,901/21,000. It stung, but I knew what I was going to do the next day. Feels good to finally have it done. Now I just need to get that Tauren race
So op, you unlocked your Mag'har Orc then?
No need to rush except maybe Champions of azeroth and 1 more to revered. Plenty of time before you need it for flying.
I'm too lazy. I want them but Ill get to it when I get to it.

I don't think it's stupid at all. You don't NEED the new races to play, it's luxury thing really. It's not any different than anything else in the game imo...call me stupid all you like but I think expecting it to be given to you is stupid.

LOL I love these posts. You're right nothing is free: in fact, it cost $60.

Itt's a vid game bro, it's not real life. Thus, it's only purpose for existence is to enable folks to have FUN. If the grind is not fun, it's a failed vid game mechanic, plain and simple.

If the rep grind is almost entirely WQ grinding, then to my mind it's a failure, because the gameplay loop is unfun (running around a map to join a zerg to get a hit in on a mob is unfun).

The issue is not grinding, cause grinding is fun if the gameplay loop is fun. Warframe, Diablo - grindy games that are really fun for many players. The WQ rep grind, for example, in Legion (where I'm currently stuck trying to unlock new races) is utterly unfun.
I came back to WoW about four weeks before BFA. I won't be grinding rep for these allied races at all. It's a waste of time for me with all the new and fresh BFA content.

That said I do think that having races locked behind old content is terrible game design. Maybe if they kept updating it them so you could do new content that is relavent and earn them that way would be better.
08/18/2018 05:27 PMPosted by Ahken

I don't think it's stupid at all. You don't NEED the new races to play, it's luxury thing really. It's not any different than anything else in the game imo...call me stupid all you like but I think expecting it to be given to you is stupid.

It's extremely different from past practice. Choosing a race has always been the most basic game feature, not a luxury feature.
"Nothing in life is free"

I know, that's why I paid for the expansion and am paying monthly to play it.
08/18/2018 04:49 PMPosted by Spellchaser
08/18/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Edmonor
Next xpac release:

New Races!! *disclaimer exalted with hydraxian waterlords*

New Classes!! *disclaimer exalted with Ogri'la*

New Zones!! *disclaimer TBC loremaster and have killed Gruul 2656 times*

Epic new storyline!! *disclaimer level 7 different highmountain shaman to 120*

...and the forum apologists rejoiced.

New rogue spec! *disclaimer exalted with Ravenholdt*

We had a good thread at the end of legion going where we came up with a bunch of funny time-gated ideas for them to use. Still gives me a good chuckle thinking this is the best they can come up with. Why not just offer yearly memberships if that's their objective? Then, at the very least, they would be able to design it around fun and not time-gated grinds.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

so by that logic since we dont NEEEEEEEED new races lets put them all behind rep wall....lets go even beyond, lets allow people to only start with the two the races with most combination of classes and gate ALL OTHERS to rep....they dont need them.
Its just orcs and taurens for horde and dwarves and Nigh elves for the alliance, everyone you better work to EARN IT.

You want blood elve paladin? to bad work on that reputation with a tauren paladin instead.
Want a worgen?NOPE you can be just a druid with the night elves and WORK in your rep TO EARN the customization options for the character you really want play.
Just think, if you guys didn't spend so much time here crying you could probably almost be done.
Before cars were invented, people had to get around in horse pulled wagons. Should you have to do that just because they did?

Before indoor plumbing was commonplace, people had to drop their deuces in tiny wooden huts with just a board with a hole cut into it to sit on. Should you have to do that just because they did?

Progress, my friend. "Suffer because I did" is a mentality that drags us all down.
it was advertised that we would be able to use it. They never mentioned that in the ads. Besides its not like there giving us the key to the world all were asking is for some new free races. Not everyone has extra time to grind for extra stuff that should be given. Especially after paying $60+