When is it not appropriate..

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
I must ask the question; Is there ever a time when it is appropriate to pull for a tank?

When a hunter misdirects to you.

But so far ive been grouped with allot of them and none use the spell, Or rogues with tricks of the trade.

Maybe Blizz could add some kind of dps boost for them to work it in there rotation
Just state your case.
If you know you can heal for more damage.
Say so, SPEAK UP.
I usually start slow once I see healer barely lacking mana, I'll pick up speed.

If you as a healer want more damage coming to me the tank. SPEAK UP!

I've had a few healers ask me if I could pull more, cause they got bored of sitting there.

Also every once in a while I'll tell Hunters to MD me cause I don't feel like walking to the mobs.
It's never appropriate to pull for the tank unless they specifically give consent for you to do so.

Simple.
As with most situations, a little communication will go a long way.

Once upon a time, you actually had to talk to your party members and work out how the dungeon would go.

If everyone is on the same page, your runs will go much more smoothly for all involved.
08/21/2018 05:25 AMPosted by Caféaulait
Your lack of mythic sure says something with regards to pulling fast.

Aw, you're cute. I would think my Legion Mythic dungeon achieves from the second week of Legion would count for something. Or maybe my Challenge Conqueror: Gold from Mists. But, whatever. I'm sure I will be totally wrong this time. I might even die in a dungeon /gasp
When you enjoy sitting in longer queue times as a result of being a jerk.

They've nerfed tank threat, and also removed a lot of tools to quickly pick up mobs. You "prodding" slow tanks is neither helpful or constructive to the dungeon run, especially if they are learning the instance or fights.

Congrats on contributing to why there are less tanks/healers available.
I've given up on this subject, I just keep doing what I'm doing and if they pull things and things go wrong they know where the blame is. The whole reason this is a problem now anyway is because blizzard chose to change how threat works.
Thank you all for the advice.

After reading several posts by tanks I thought it was a good time to ask the question not only for myself, but for others to gain insight on public opinion on the topic and maybe consider their actions next time.
Imo

When the dungeons have been out more than a week - some of us are still getting the lay of things - unless you are abosolutley sure the group got it

After the 1st boss - if the group has no issues and you know the tank and group can handle it

Above ok only if
- healers mana bar is good,
- your sure interupts/stuns are off cooldown (and the group understands how to use them)
- you don’t mind dying if your wrong
- your not going to be a derp if your pull contributes to wipe the group

Or... when 3/5 members outgear the content by 20 ilvl s or more
lol ok so let me tell you what I have learned expansion.

1. A large portion of the player base is bad. Do you know how many times I have had to pick up multiple packs because of face pulls? Do you know how hard it is to survive when in freehold you got multiple Irontide Enforcer groups? I go slow because I have been taught that someone is more then likely going to pull something extra by accident. If we can get by at the beginning without this happening I speed up.

2. There are alot of healers that actually dont know how to heal. if I am out healing our healer, something is wrong. Especially when DPS is dieing to AoE from mobs and not face tanking things. So I watch the healers as well, either they are new and trying to learn or they are in there for the quick healer queue.

3. People dont understand the range on their abilities. Similar to number 1 but with the new way of tanking and beginning of an xpac this is not an advantage and very much a disadvantage. Some of these are not their fault ala starfall hitting the upper floor of the jail instance....that was fun.

4. I cant take everything anymore. I am still getting used to the massive lack of secondaries, my loss of self sustainability and my loss of my artifact. On top of making sure no one accidentally pulls threat from me.

When is it ok for you to pull for the tank? almost never but you can tell the tank to pull faster. Most of the time we totally accommodate you as you (the healer) are what dictates our speed. I guarantee every time a healer told me to pull faster I do.
Never in a PUG.

I think if all the tanks in LFG would start just body pulling and letting everyone whip a few times with all the trash at the boss then the gogogogo stuff would stop.
The tanks role is to tank, doesnt say anything about being ‘the puller’ so i believe it’s always okay to pull for the tank.
08/21/2018 06:10 AMPosted by Demorest
The tanks role is to tank, doesnt say anything about being ‘the puller’ so i believe it’s always okay to pull for the tank.

And this is one of the reasons its not ok to pull for the tank. There are those that obviously have not experienced the new tanking and the new xpac, if you still have this mind set, you are wrong unless you know the tank. Tell the tank to pull faster, dont do that for him/her.
I only queue with my friends/wife as healer when I tank.

If a pug pulls for me we just vote kick them & move on.

If you want to control the pace & flow, roll healer or tank.
08/21/2018 05:14 AMPosted by Mightymousy
Is there ever a time when it is appropriate to pull for a tank?

Only when they ask you to, and ONLY then.
Furthermore, you should also run to the tank whenever you have aggro.

This is critically important now with the threat reduction.
Any tank needs to generate 110% threat of the current target to pull a mob off them, and only when they're in melee range; from a distance, it's 130%.

Pull for a tank, they have to pull the mobs OFF you.
To do so, they frequently have to IGNORE the other mobs.

This leads to more mobs "breaking loose", which leads to more mob chasing. It becomes a chain-reaction as the tank simply CAN'T control the mobs because he's too busy chasing strays left and right. This causes wipes because one person's impatience.

The solution is quite simple too, just let the tank do his job and pull the groups.
Just be grateful that you don't have carefully mark and CC every pull.

---

Now, you CAN ask the tank to pull a bit more if you feel they're going slow...

... but there's always a "confidence issue" when to comes to tanking, especially for players who are new to tanking. New tanks are generally a bit timid, especially just after the game has slapped them around a bit for being overzealous; so some encouragement can be helpful, but don't push them too far because that creates more issues down the line (overpulls by accident or design, followed by wipes).

Veteran tanks are more likely to respond when it comes to being requested to pull more, sometimes by obliging the request... and other times by simply saying "HELL NO!", because they know either the group (or at least themselves) can't handle any more.

Pulling for them is the WRONG thing to do, period.

If they ever ask you to pull, there's usually a specific strategy involved.
... and it usually involves either a misdirect and/or you KITING whatever was pulled.
08/21/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Raelhorn
... but there's always a "confidence issue" when to comes to tanking, especially for players who are new to tanking. New tanks are generally a bit timid, especially just after the game has slapped them around a bit for being overzealous
yes, when i first tried tanking back in cata i was like this, people pulling for me did not help my confidence at all
I'll pull for a tank, but it's typically a situation where a patrol is about to move near another pack and it's favorable to pull it now instead of having to wait for it to come back. Obviously this is as the current group of mobs is near death so it's not something that should overwhelm the tank.

I'm typically healing so it's also knowing that I'm comfortable keeping myself/dps alive if they weren't picked up quickly.

Outside of that I'll let the tank go at their own pace.
08/21/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Drownedelf
I'll pull for a tank, but it's typically a situation where a patrol is about to move near another pack and it's favorable to pull it now instead of having to wait for it to come back. Obviously this is as the current group of mobs is near death so it's not something that should overwhelm the tank.

I'm typically healing so it's also knowing that I'm comfortable keeping myself/dps alive if they weren't picked up quickly.

Outside of that I'll let the tank go at their own pace.

holy !@#$ someone who gets it! Ok I will amend my statement, this is the only time its ok to pull for the tank but lol most of the times this is not what people do. I only usually have people do this if its my guildies or friends.
When I was first learning the dungeons, there were sometimes people in the group who had already done them. I let them do a lot of the pulling to get an idea of the best path to take. It's way simpler than having to type "pull this/that?" every other pull.

Now that I'm familiar with the dungeons, I prefer to do the pulls. On rare occasions if there is a patrol I need to grab and I happen to miss, I don't care if DPS grabs it.
I've tanked plenty on alts and I don't care if DPS pull. I'll just pull off of them. Sometimes tanks go way too slowly and I need to pull for them when I'm DPSing too. Ya'll need to stop being so entitled and salty, tanks.