Did BFA need to be an expansion?

General Discussion
08/24/2018 08:29 PMPosted by Maedia
Granted, I haven't played much of the expansion, But knowing what I know so far, I'm wondering what the end goal is here. In legion, it was clear that we had to get rid of Sargeras and the demons. I don't feel there is a clear end boss here.
Oh there is, and it's a worst-kept secret because - at least to lore buffs - it's so obvious. But the Old Gods never do anything out in the open. They always start by whispers, usually to sew conflict and division among their enemies. Without going into spoilers, the Warbringers series makes it open knowledge that Azshara will be one of our villains, probably a 2nd patch raid boss, and that she in turn works for one of the Old Gods. And we know now that even Sargeras was afraid of the Void. They are already among us. All around us. With their slimy tentacles, their maddening whispers, their insidious plots... "They're here!"
08/23/2018 01:41 AMPosted by Dremin
08/23/2018 01:27 AMPosted by Tentaclatrix
have been here for literally EVERY launch EXCEPT wrath. That includes vanilla. I know exactly how a launch goes.

Your earliest achievement is 2010.

To be fair, we didn't get achieves UNTIL Wrath. So if he didn't play Wrath but logged on again for the first time since then all of his achieves would say 2010.
Yup
The story and art is great. But everything seems recycled this expansion.

Allied races seem like a major cash grab unless Blizzard gives free race changes each time one is introduced.
idk, ive played hardcore since vanilla and this is on track to be the best expansion yet.

I guess it sucks for casual players, but for mythic raiders and people who care about character progression it's absolutely fantastic. blizzard really outdid themselves.
08/22/2018 11:23 PMPosted by Dedkalm
It's the stale zone design that's really holding this xpac back.

It's a consequence of pathfinder.

People like to talk about removing flight like the reason that (good old) Blizzard put it into the game was just to skip over everything, but it was actually added as an asset for pushing the envelope on creative zone design.

Hence us getting it at 77, below level cap in WotLK, so that we could use it to properly traverse and explore Storm Peaks and Icecrown, which were both made to showcase flight. Can you imagine how much more creative, immersive and just generally fun exploring the world would be if that zone design philosophy were still on the board? With all the new art assets this game has gotten since way back in 2008?

Sadly, WotLk was also when Activision entered the picture. They don't like flight. Makes xpacs more expensive to make with the vertical tiers of explorable content and whatnot. So they immediately dialed it back to little more than a self-piloted taxi service instead of pushing those limits in Cataclysm. Did it again in MoP. And then tried to remove flight altogether in WoD. "To make the game better for the players". PR BS.

Really it was just about greed. Which was why the attempt was coupled with a $10 price hike for xpacs as well as an announced plan to make xpacs happen every single year instead of every 2.

Obviously, that ploy failed. But they came up with a plan B in the form of pathfinder. Now we're all stuck on the ground at the start of every xpac, so there is no reason to develop any content to explore above ground level.

So, think of pathfinder as a big fat middle finger from Activision Blizzard to the players. Because that's exactly what it is.

What we should have at this point is flight staying in game from launch, and zones built from the ground up to showcase it in new and creative ways in every xpac.

Pathfinder can remain as a way of unlocking some other feature that is useful. For example, it can be used to unlock a buff that doubles flight speed at high altitudes for the purpose of making it easier to travel between zones. Just a thought.

But don't ever let anyone tell you flight was only put in the game to skip over content. If Activision Blizzard cared about that at all, they wouldn't have implemented the flight whistle, which allows us to teleport back to the FP every 5 minutes without even seeing any content between A and B.

Flight was all about encouraging an evolving zone design philosophy. Specifically to prevent the stagnation of creative zone design, which is something that has become a clear problem for WoW in the last few expansions.
08/25/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Sphinctus
idk, ive played hardcore since vanilla and this is on track to be the best expansion yet.

I guess it sucks for casual players, but for mythic raiders and people who care about character progression it's absolutely fantastic. blizzard really outdid themselves.

I don't know if you're being serious or trolling, but I'll assume you're being serious. This expansion is fantastic for character progression? In what way? As for mythic raids, I didn't get a chance to test that on beta so I will defer to you on that. I really am glad that some people are enjoying the heck out of this expansion, I wish I were as well.
08/25/2018 03:53 PMPosted by Sphinctus

It's the most casual expansion yet and there's zero progression.
08/25/2018 07:02 PMPosted by Anodyne

It's the most casual expansion yet and there's zero progression.

There's less than zero progression, negative progression IMO.
The main part of any Expansion is new territory. New areas to explore, lots of new Quests, new creatures, new environments. This is the primary point of Expansions. So we're not just doing the same things we've done before.

And that's what we've got with Battle For Azeroth. Lots of new places with new sights to see.