Despite Being A Dead Game, BFA Is Fastest Selling Expac In WoW History

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10
The "White Knight" label is becoming cringe-material. Gets thrown around waaaaay too often.
BFA comes off the tails a very successful Legion.

WOD came off the tails of a pretty darn successful MOP.

Subs bled the most during WOD in WoW’s history- history will repeat I’m going to wager. Both xpacs BFA and WOD are being looked at as bad.

Great xpacs sell and build hype for the new xpac, nothing more nothing less.

I didn't forget that at all, in fact I mentioned it in my post - you do realize that those tokens you buy with gold are bought by players with real money and sold on the AH, right? And that those player-bought tokens cost more than a month's sub, right?

So I want to thank you... you folks that buy tokens with gold are facilitating WoW making even *more* money than if you had simply paid for your sub.

You did realize that, right? Those tokens don't just magically appear; they are bought with cash by players and sold for gold. The reason the price fluctuates is supply and demand.

You need math class stat!
Two subs equal $29.98, one token equals $20.00. If tokens weren't available all people would have to pay. This token deal just gives a chance for kids to play the "crack" game without cash.

Say what?

The token is only replacing one sub. The other person needs to pay for their sub somehow.

Bottom line, if you are paying for a token with gold, you just facilitated someone else handing $20 to blizz.
I like how the thread's title is supposed to be sarcastic but is just plain true.
I just hit 120 yesterday. All the time I wasn't elu I saw exactly 10 people. Not one was from my realm
09/22/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Worldincrush
BFA comes off the tails a very successful Legion.

WOD came off the tails of a pretty darn successful MOP.

Subs bled the most during WOD in WoW’s history- history will repeat I’m going to wager. Both xpacs BFA and WOD are being looked at as bad.

Great xpacs sell and build hype for the new xpac, nothing more nothing less.
MoP had a steady decline in subs over its 2 years so calling it successful is a stretch.
You the game is in trouble when the forum is this dead, I remember way more forum activity in Legion. It's like 50% of people who bought BfA have bailed out already, my queue times on horde have blown out by a huge amount..
09/22/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Phydeaux
09/22/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Kimlin
The situations are different. Legion had sustained growth into BFA with an invested an interested player base. Cata and MoP had a crashing player base that had a big bounce with the launch of WoD that crashed back down once people ran out of things to do.

Now I am not saying that BfA isn't losing players, especially the ones that came back just for the launch but if they are it would be more comparable to the Cata loss of subs which happened over a slower more extended duration.

You are clueless about this topic.

MoP had over 7 million people subbed at the end, only dipping below 6.8 until patch 5.2.

Cataclysm never got anything close to that low.

Even Blizzard knows this, when asked how Legion was doing their response was it was even or slightly better than the same point as WoD.

Get a clue. This dev team is killing this great game. You also don't know what sustained growth is and lack proof to actually demonstrate it, in Legion.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22698193@N03/20323388085/

Here is a graph of WoW subs depicting exactly what I described. Sorry if it doesn’t fit you narrative but facts don’t care about your feelings.

I don’t have the sub numbers to prove the growth that happened during Legion but record first day sales for BfA are very telling. I believe it was even stated that they were back up to 10 million subs at one point. So in all it is you who is clueless.
09/22/2018 07:48 PMPosted by Laihenditwo
The "White Knight" label is becoming cringe-material. Gets thrown around waaaaay too often.

yeah. You want to see real White Knights, go check out the SWTOR forums, where the game is obviously in maintenance mode but the deniers are everywhere, claiming that a great content release is happening Real Soon Now.

Here, the term is being applied to anyone that doesn't totally harsh on BfA.

Well, you know what? Subjectively overall for a lot of us BfA is not bad, Horde-side at least. Story is fun, zones are great. There's *LOTS* of things in BfA that are bad and need fixing, but that was true for legion too. Legion basically sucked in many ways until a few patches in.

I've done my share of complaining about Feral and its trashfire status as a spec, about Frost DK being so tedious and clunky now, my Shaman is permanently parked at 110 now because LOL no, etc, and these things need fixing badly, but those are just issues that need resolving, and not a reason to trash the whole expac.
the expansion way hyped. Lots of sales, but of course the actual game hasn't changed in a fundamental way since it was released.

Of course subs will bleed. It's still as wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.

It's been like 15 years and the game is still basically, go to a place, read some dumb !@# bull$%^- if you even do that, pick up 15 pieces of doodads or kill 10 mooks, or kill mooks until you have filled your doodad quota.

After 20 hours or whatever, you're now at the real game, which consists of facerolling your keyboard and occasionally moving your character until you get loot, and the incentive to do so is to acquire more loot and be the most powerful badass in azeroth.

It's not a bad game by any stretch, it works, many people love that formula and spend extreme amounts of time chasing the purples, so it makes blizzard money, great for them.

What has changed is blizzards greed. They have seriously upped the ante there.

So, honestly who cares if the game is dead/dying/on life support. If you like playing it, then enjoy. If you are mad then take a break. If you are sad that you even purchased the expansion and want the money back then you are probably better off beating a rock until it bleeds.
08/23/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Reshyk
08/23/2018 07:38 AMPosted by Lukion
Copying the answer I gave in the other guy's thread:

So, by your logic, the more something sells, the better it is?

So you listen to justin Beiber, got it.
Is anyone here denying that Justin Bieber was popular?

What this information does do is cast doubt on the people who are quick to claim that BfA is causing people to leave in droves. I still think it’s far too soon to say anything conclusive either way but it does give me even more reason to be skeptical that “WoW iz ded lol” than before.

It does nothing of the sort. Whether people bought the game all on the same day or they bought it over a period of a week is unrelated to how satisfied they are after they play it for a while.
This is pretty funny now, huh?
Alot of people pre-ordered to get the first 4 allied races early.
08/23/2018 07:37 AMPosted by Pzykotic
Horde and Alliance heroes around the world answer their faction’s call to arms in force as Blizzard Entertainment’s latest release surpasses 3.4 million in day-one sales globally

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 23, 2018-- When the Battle for Azeroth™erupted worldwide last week, champions of the Alliance and the Horde around the globe were called upon to fight for their faction. Heroes everywhere turned out in force, and Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of Battle for Azeroth’s first full day of launch on August 14, more than 3.4 million units of the latest World of Warcraft® expansion had sold through worldwide—setting a new day-one sales record for the franchise and making it one of the fastest-selling PC games of all-time.*

Full link: https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/battle-azerothtm-becomes-fastest-selling-world-warcraftr

Fastest selling doesn’t actually mean highest selling, just to be clear.

If I make 5 products, and 4 sell 10 million objects in 1 month, averaging 2.5 million per week, but the 5th sells 3 million in the first week, which one sold more?

If product 1-4 sold 12 million pieces total, and product five sold only 9 million, then you begin to see how speed of sales isn’t the same as total sales.

In practice it’s more nuanced. Usually a product sales include preorders, and allied races came with BfA almost 6 months before launch, so... I can’t possible imagine why BfA might be the fastest selling expansion, even if it’s not the most popular.
08/23/2018 07:38 AMPosted by Lukion
Copying the answer I gave in the other guy's thread:

So, by your logic, the more something sells, the better it is?

So you listen to justin Beiber, got it.
well Barbie girl sold 8 million copies across the world;not bad for the worst song ever recorded.

Hiya Barbie
Hi Ken!
Do you want to go for a ride?
Sure Ken
Jump in

I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation

Come on Barbie, let's go party!

I'm a blond bimbo girl, in a fantasy world
Dress me up, make it tight, I'm your dolly
You're my doll, rock'n'roll, feel the glamor in pink
Kiss me here, touch me there, hanky panky
You can touch
you can play
if you say "I'm always yours"

Come on Barbie, let's go party! (Ah ah ah yeah)
Come on Barbie, let's go party! (Oh oh)

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please
I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees
Come jump in, bimbo friend, let us do it again
Hit the town, fool around, let's go party

You can touch
you can play
If you say "I'm always yours"
You can touch
you can play,
If you say "I'm always yours"

Oh, I'm having so much fun!
Well Barbie, we are just getting started
Oh, I love you Ken
I have to disagree, The Last Jedi was a financial success but terrible movie from my point of view and at least half of the people who had seen it might agree.

But i feel the confusion of the narrative the movie setup had fans confused which helped it's ticket sales due to them having to re-watch it to see if it got better which on the re-watch of it got worse.

I like some things in BFA but it seems very rushed and incomplete in many ways, but what do i know i make little indie games nothing on Wows scale!

We don't know what is being secretly worked on down the road to make it better so unlike TLJ movie BFA can change and improve.
MoP had over 7 million people subbed at the end, only dipping below 6.8 until patch 5.2.

This dev team is killing this great game.

Numbers don't lie. But reasons lie. You are pretending "nothing ever changes in the MMO industry; the ONLY factor that affect total subs is players quitting because of poor design.

You say that no matter how many times industry professionals tell you "only a tiny percent of players who quit, quit because they dislike game design". You don't believe them. You think you know more than everyone else.

I don't believe you. I think the pros know more than you.
09/22/2018 06:33 AMPosted by Weimaraner
09/22/2018 05:06 AMPosted by Yrimi
3.4M preorders and launch day sales is damned impressive for an expac. And we have no idea how many sold since then.

Your are forgetting that WoW is free to play for many of us. I made so much gold on mission tables I've not paid for anything. Tokens massively distort comparing current sales to historical unless they use dollars instead of units.

Good point. But both numbers are worth looking at:
- dollars reflect Blizzard financial health
- people actually playing WoW is more interesting to me
08/23/2018 07:42 AMPosted by Kaizoku
3.4 million? That's weak. I mean... how sad. This game used to boast 12 million subscribers.

12 million? That's weak. That's barely 0.15% of the people on the planet.

So sad for this game.

Sad.