Despite Being A Dead Game, BFA Is Fastest Selling Expac In WoW History

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 10 Next
08/23/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Phydeaux

Keep in mind that TBC, WotLK and Cataclysm didn't have the ability to preorder, so those truly were day 1 sales.

Cata did have preordering. It was the first time it was offered but then it was only a month and a half before release(late oct-early december), not nearly as long as BFA.
Heroes everywhere turned out in force, and Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of Battle for Azeroth’s first full day of launch on August 14, more than 3.4 million units of the latest World of Warcraft® expansion had sold through worldwide

To rephrase: by the 1st full day of launch, BFA had sold more than 3.4 million copies.

Had, past tense.

as of

phrase of as
used to indicate the time or date from which something starts.

As opposed to: "Blizzard announced today that Battle For Azeroth sold 3.4 million copies on August 14, 2018."

Pre-orders began in February. So 6.5 months of sales is "fastest selling".[/quote]
08/23/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Honeymoon
That figure includes all preorders, and BFA is also the first expansion that players have been able to buy with in-game gold, rather than actual money.

It's not surprising that so many people have picked it up when it is effectively free and there's literally nothing to lose, even if the expansion ultimately turns out to be underwhelming.

Lol free. I don't think you understand how the tokens work.
08/23/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Pathersh
08/23/2018 08:10 AMPosted by Honeymoon
That figure includes all preorders, and BFA is also the first expansion that players have been able to buy with in-game gold, rather than actual money.

It's not surprising that so many people have picked it up when it is effectively free and there's literally nothing to lose, even if the expansion ultimately turns out to be underwhelming.

He isn't wrong, after I hit 120 I only mine when I do WQ's and have made north of 600k, literally doing nothing, guess it depends on the server (area52)
And how many of that 3.4 million have already quit?
08/23/2018 10:39 AMPosted by Gortekinta
08/23/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Pathersh

He isn't wrong, after I hit 120 I only mine when I do WQ's and have made north of 600k, literally doing nothing, guess it depends on the server (area52)

Someone bought that token for $20, it's not free.
08/23/2018 10:50 AMPosted by Pathersh
08/23/2018 10:39 AMPosted by Gortekinta

Someone bought that token for $20, it's not free.

Free is relative. If someone gives you a car, it is free for you. Whether or not someone else paid for it is irrelevant. Also, shifting the expac into token sales does not = increased sales. The tokens would sell anyways.
08/23/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Edmonor
World of Warcraft®: Warlords of Draenor™, the fifth expansion to the world's #1 subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game.*Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of the first 24 hours of the expansion's availability, more than 3.3 million copies had sold-through† and the game's global subscriber base had passed 10 million, with growth across all major regions.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-20-warlords-of-draenor-sales-take-wow-subs-back-up-over-10-million

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/world-warcraftr-surpasses-10-million-subscribers-warlords

FAST FORWARD NINE MONTHS

In the summer of 2015, World of Warcraft’s subscriber numbers hit a nine-year low, dropping from over 10 million at Warlords of Draenor’s launch to under 6 million in a mere nine months.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/05/07/world-of-warcraft-suffers-biggest-quarterly-subscriber-drop-ever

https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/25/12599142/blizzard-world-of-warcraft-warlords-draenor-disaster-legion-burned-fans

Exactly: FAST FORWARD NINE MONTHS

BfA has been out for 10 days!!! Would you Negative Nancys please calm down!!! If you are already bored and tired of this expansion it's not the fault of the game. Many people (including myself) are really enjoying the game right now, but if that is not the case for you then quit.

WoD released with the least amount of dungeons in WoW history (8, and never added any more in patches) while BfA released with 10, WoD had one stupid daily where you filled up one bar while BfA has two continents worth of world quests, WoD had the least amount of patches with the least amount of content while BfA has been out for 10 days you clowns! Don't compare WoD to BfA!!!
Posting in an ultimate damage control thread.
08/23/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Laroystinkin
08/23/2018 07:38 AMPosted by Lukion
Copying the answer I gave in the other guy's thread:

So, by your logic, the more something sells, the better it is?

So you listen to justin Beiber, got it.

Who wants to go play Warhammer Online? They sold a ton of copies.....

I DO!

I miss my Witch Elf.
That 3.4 mill number includes pre-sales generated by allied races. The huge number of copies sold probably was one of the main reasons why the WoW token price dropped below 120k.

Still can't believe some players were saying that the token prices dropped because people weren't playing BfA at launch. It was pretty obvious there were lots of players in-game who were buying enough gold tokens and listing them on the AH for the price to crater.

08/23/2018 07:49 AMPosted by Mishiva
WoD sold extremely well at release.

WoD got a bad rep because of the content drought. Remember, they re-prioritized resources away from WoD to Legion even before WoD launched. No complaints about a content drought during Legion.

So far don't see that happening for BfA (although it does feel a little like a tock xpac). You know something others don't?
People bought BfA on the back of being happy about legion, hoping for more of the same.... Saying BfA is a success because of that is delusional.
BFA is a !@#$ expansion.
I've never associated how fast something sold to how good it was. Is anyone really that simple minded?
So it's a zombie? Scourge or Forsaken?
Copying the answer I gave in the other guy's thread:

So you listen to justin Beiber, got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDTW9Dd7ORM
8 months of preorders are now day 1 sales. The degeneracy never ends.
08/23/2018 08:34 AMPosted by Melaroi
What about Wrath's model do you think attracted and kept 12 million people?

Just curious about the sort of thing you think they did well back then.

[/quote]

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, was at work. Here's a short answer:

1. 5 mans were built to be less RNG heavy on the front end (you could buy specific gear with badges) but have longevity at the back end (rep tabards, crafting mats with badges (I liked to buy gems)). Currently I have no reason to run dungeons now that I have all my gear, save for my satchel. I "could" do my daily run for AP, but we're talking 150 + boss drops. Getting rid of badges will only serve to frustrate people screwed over by RNG, and give nothing consistently rewarding for doing obsolete content such as dungeons.

2. Raiding did a MUCH better job in Wrath, than any expansion since, of fostering server community, allowing a smooth transition for new players, and keeping the barrier to entry low enough that if PuG requirements were unreasonable, you could form your own group for doing whatever without getting utterly crushed if you're a new(ish) player. The easy normal raids helped with that, the 10/25 separate lockout system helped with that, the organic "hard modes" (ala Ulduar) and the newly introduced manual hardmodes (ala ToC) helped with that.

Could they have made the hardmodes a bit harder for the uberleet folks who thought the raids were too easy? Sure. Fine. Normals, especially 25 man, were definitely in a good place for nice social pugs / recruitment runs / teaching tools for new players. It was the low pressure of obsolete 25 mans (Naxx / Ulduar in ToC gear) that helped teach me how raiding worked.

Here's a long answer:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20767748350#post-16
08/23/2018 07:55 AMPosted by Reshyk
08/23/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Wagnus
3.4 million, pretty sad number. Game used to have 12 million that bought wotlk lol.
You’re living in quite the world if 3.4 million is a bad number.

Granted it’s not 12 million. Frankly the game will likely never have a player base of that size ever again. MMOs simply aren’t the the surefire market that they were back during Wrath. And dress it up as you may WoW is still a 14 year old game. The new car smell has long since disappeared.

But 3.4 million is still a very very large number of players. You estimated the game having 5 to 6 million players? That’s the same number of players currently playing Monster Hunter World which has been considered a runaway success.

MMOs are becoming a niche market and while it doesn’t hold the same overwhelming dominance it once did, WoW is still one of the premier giants of the industry. It’s far from dead.

MMOs were always niche. When WoW was announced many were suprised. They didnt expect an mmo from Blizz known mainly for RTS. That and mmos werent popular.

THEN after wow mmos BECAME popular and you had the clones. Same with League of Legends and Moba games. It wasn't the FIRST not by a long shot, but was the one that decided the future. The cycle will repeat again.

08/23/2018 08:18 AMPosted by Cstain
This chat is like that camera at CNN that panned across all those kids crying when Hillary lost the election.

What kids? Only kids I remember on CNN were the ones kept from their parents.