Elemental....the spec Blizzard loves to hate.

Shaman
So I have been elemental since I made my first space goat shaman back during Burning Failure. I've ALWAYS loved tossing lava & lightning around like a good game of hot potato, but what just astounds me is how Elemental, despite the fact that it honestly should be one of the higher DPS specs....always seems to be one of the LOWEST.

Keep in mind though, that this is a LOT of opinion here...but it seems according to my memory that at no time when I ran Elemental while raiding was I ever in the top DPS rankings with my guild (different toon, different server than this). Closest I ever did was during WoD, and only because other people in raids sucked doing their jobs.

I've studied all the main sites and guides on how to max my DPS output, but it is almost as if Blizzard is hell bent on keeping Elemental down with the heel of their boot. "Damage output not high enough....let's nerf them." "Damage output too high....nerf them." "Damage output on par and equalized with everyone else....nerf them."

Just running around doing the little bit of questing in Vol'dun that I have shows me that it is taking longer to kill a single mob than others I see questing around me. I actually put a stopwatch to it. A single mod at level 110 takes Elemental about 4 lightning bolts, 2-3 lava bolts, flame shock, 1-2 Earth shocks....that's about 20-30 seconds right there. Whereas the Beast Master hunter is done with the same mob in 7-10 seconds and is moving on. Destruction Warlocks...7-10 seconds, I even saw someone leveling as a Prot Pally kill a mob faster than I could as a DPS spec.

Blizzard....PLEASE stop screwing Elemental. We love what we do and just ask for you to give us the tools and damage output that will make us stand out and shine in raids for reasons other than "Look..and elemental shaman. lol" You've taken so much away from us for years....it's time to start giving BACK to us.
To be fair... Back in Vanilla a few shamans hoped the Devs and their families would be hit by a bus. We pay for the punishment of our ancestors.

That being said, while leveling my Earth Shock was one shotting mobs, so it may be your gear is far lower than the others that's why it takes you longer. Also try doing AoE pulls, our AoE damage, especially with Stormkeeper is top tier. On any quest elite, use fire Ele and your DPS will generally be higher than the average.
08/24/2018 09:46 AMPosted by Suolis
To be fair... Back in Vanilla a few shamans hoped the Devs and their families would be hit by a bus. We pay for the punishment of our ancestors.

Not gonna lie...I almost spewed coffee all over my monitor when I read this. :)
elemental has been fun up until now i have played ele spec for pvp and dungeons since tbc its always been good.the insta flame shock loss hurts but elemental does no damage.

That being said, while leveling my Earth Shock was one shotting mobs, so it may be your gear is far lower than the others that's why it takes you longer. Also try doing AoE pulls, our AoE damage, especially with Stormkeeper is top tier. On any quest elite, use fire Ele and your DPS will generally be higher than the average.
Half the mobs in the game will stunlock you if you pull them in groups. Since literally everything we do besides dump maelstrom requires huge casts, a lot of the time we cant afford to pull packs.

I leveled in BfA by questing as Holy Priest and even that is literally better the Elemental shaman, it can pull way more and kill what it pulls faster.

Elemental, numerically at least, is doing fine in group PVE content, but their tools for anything else are !@#.
08/24/2018 12:32 PMPosted by Miscast

Half the mobs in the game will stunlock you if you pull them in groups. Since literally everything we do besides dump maelstrom requires huge casts, a lot of the time we cant afford to pull packs.

I leveled in BfA by questing as Holy Priest and even that is literally better the Elemental shaman, it can pull way more and kill what it pulls faster.

Elemental, numerically at least, is doing fine in group PVE content, but their tools for anything else are !@#.

I literally AoE pulled everything to 120, never had a problem once. Even if you pulled way too much, Earth Ele will tank it out easily. If you are struggling with Ele, get basic quest gear, it will make it easier.
08/24/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Suolis
Earth Ele will tank it out easily.
Once every 5 minutes. Joy.
I seriously wonder at this point why Ele is not just a pet class.

That also depends on your definition of AoE pull, I'm currently leveling every class besides Rogue and DH at the same time, my range for comparison is fairly broad. Ele simply has the worst tools I've seen for it. Its not that they have 0 AoE tools or 0 healing, thats not the case im making. Its that their survivability and AoE tools perform worse than anyone else in a soloing environment since they're huge long casts.
08/24/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Miscast
08/24/2018 12:53 PMPosted by Suolis

That also depends on your definition of AoE pull, I'm currently leveling every class besides Rogue and DH at the same time, my range for comparison is fairly broad. Ele simply has the worst tools I've seen for it. Its not that they have 0 AoE tools or 0 healing, thats not the case im making. Its that their survivability and AoE tools perform worse than anyone else in a soloing environment since they're huge long casts.

I would totally be behind the motion of making Elemental a pet class. Just like I thought Mages should be a pet class with a familiar like the Ice thing that Frost had many years ago.

Giving Elemental pet class status would go a loooong way to make up for the long line of tools and utilities that have been taken away from us for so many years. DPS totems...gone. Totem array...gone. Heroism...gone. Cat timers increased...check. Mobility during a fight decreased...check. Survivability decreased...check.

I mean for Elune's sake...why in the blue hell are Elemental shaman limited to only a few elements?! Fire and Earth elemental only?! WTF?! We should an elemental for ALL elements!! Fire for DPS, Earth for tanking, Water for healing, and Air for....well...whatever.

And where are the elements truly represented in the elemental class?? Fire and Earth. Water should have some sort of DPS spell, just as Air should. But what do we get? Wind sheer...which I believe is the ONLY air based spell Elemental has. Water is almost solely rooted in Resto.

I swear...it makes me want to get with my boss who plays and have him get his friend who is high up in the dev team at Blizzard and actually get him to outline what the actual F they think Elemental should be able to accomplish, or just how Elemental functions overall when they continue to screw us over with every expansion.
I concurr with ele becoming a pet class, or at least, talented pet class.
Everyone that says Elemental is doing fine just gives me a good laugh at their cluelessnes.

Leveled my Shaman first hoping it would see some live by now and now my Hunter and in Beta I leveled my Warlock to 120 also and leveled my priest and Druid to 117 or so and by far my Ele was the worst to level and had the least tools to survive.

Ele barely beats Resto for dps and has none of the tools to survive. Hell some tanks are out dpsing us in dungeons and every dps spec is out preforming us by a wide margin.
My WW monk has Xuen on a 2 min CD, not only does Xuen do heavy dmg/aoe dmg he also feels way stronger than Earth elemental. For being master of the elements we sure do have long CDs on our summons.

Having played on and off since Vanilla it does seem the Dev team just enjoys keeps Shaman low middle of the pack for some bizarre reason.
Posted by Suolis

I agree 100%. Without my Earth Ele I'm literally pulling 1 or 2 mobs at the most or I feel like I get wrecked.

At least have Primal Elementalist reduce the cooldown or maybe if we take this talent every LB cast reduces its cooldown by "said amount". Either way the uptime on PE needs to be higher.
08/26/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Irishcoffee
I concurr with ele becoming a pet class, or at least, talented pet class.
Yeah, I've been leveling 10 classes at once, everything except DH and Rogue.
I have two things to say that I learned about Elemental Shaman from that experience.
1. Ele is the worst spec I've tried to level so far, by far.
2. Ele feels very much like Warlock to play, without the pet. They're both very immobile casters with weak survivability and looong casts, except on Warlock my pet eats most of the mechanics that I dont want to deal with, on Elemental I eat them, and I dont like it.
I played elemental Shaman from Beta through WotLK. I pvped and raided like a madman. I may have been one of the loud vocal shaman wishing unpleasent things on the devs. But I also provided a ton of ideas to the devs on how to fix the class as it had issues. I fought to get lava burst and Hex back into the elemental tool set. A lot of those were implemented in WotLK. It was great!

Life hit and I had to leave wow for awhile. I came back in WoD and was utterly disgusted with what the Shaman class had become. Each expansion I look to see if I should play the character that I had logged over 150 days of playtime on. And each expansion I sigh and go back to my DK or Warrior.

My beloved shaman is at level 112 right now and just feels terrible. The mechanics are so clunky, I feel drastically under powered and most of all I feel like a wanna be mage.

I really wish Blizzard would fix the class but i have been so disconnected with shaman out of disgust that I couldn't even begin to say how to fix it at this point.
I haven't touched Ele this expac but it seems like they put too much emphasis in Fire Ele DPS; if a fight went to 6 minutes and I could pop fire ele twice my dps was okay, if it was under that time my dps was terrible.

Its a big issue and other specs have the same problem but not to this extent.
I have a fury warrior and a frost mage and do fine on them. Every time I hear an ele complain and some clueless person who never probably never played ele says "git gud" I get a little angry. And it takes a lot to get me angry.

No matter what class I'm playing I sometimes go around hugging other ele's, they need hugs. But I've never seen class played by so many dedicated people. It takes pure dedication to stick to a class as under-powered as we are. I think for that alone we deserve to be at least on equal footing with other classes.

It's about time Blizz dropped it's grudge against us. Many of us weren't even playing back then.

*Changes name to *Hugsneeded*

1 shotting mobs with earth shock are you !@#$ing stupid? fully buffed my earth shock crits for 40k in mythics, so how were you doing 50-100k earth shocks every time 1 shotting mobs while levelling up with lower ilvl gear? or are you just brain dead
I leveled as Enhancement, but swapped to Ele when weapons dropped for it and not Enh.

I do good when I get procs for free Lava Bursts. But when I don't get procs, I may as well be meleeing the enemies with my mace. You just feel weak. If your elementals are on CD you feel even weaker.

Lightning Bolt is the most disappointing spell, it sounds great with the BOOM! and the CRACK! and the sound effects are over-exaggerating because it hits like I threw a soggy spaghetti noodle at someone.

See I have heard this but I can’t believe that is the worse thing to be said to Devs by players or that only Shamans have said mean things. By this logic every class would be hated.
08/24/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Skimsucks

Not gonna lie...I almost spewed coffee all over my monitor when I read this. :)

That actually did happen. It was following the promised Shaman review of 1.11. There was an "illness" that was given as an excuse for not getting it done in time, some people on the forums wished death on some devs and the term "bus-shock" was born.

Sadly we never really got that review and the end of MoP is the only time we really did well in both PvP and PvE.

Every expansion we struggle to level, get flat damage increases when raiding starts and they realize how far behind we really are. At the end of the expansion, when gear levels finally are at the point they said we were "OK", we then hear of a new expac, get promised fixes, but they always seem to run out of time.

It's been over 10 years of this, so I have come to lower my expectations from the devs. Case in point, they didn't get to us in time for BfA, so they hope to get to us in 8.1. Don't hold your breath. :)

This time I leveled with ease, at least up to 116, because of my legendary pants that healed me. At 120 I can barely take on more than 2 mobs at a time. I get beaten on like I'm wearing cloth, but I still love my Shaman. I play alts, but always love my main since vanilla.