Has shaman ever been top dog?

Shaman
Has there been an expansion where shammy was the best class? Just curious.
For a while in Legion enhancement was top single target damage by quite a bit. This was quite useful in LFR/Normal/Heroic raids and some places in mythic.

Resto shaman was in legion and still probably is, the best progression healer for raiding.
08/24/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Gigadrill

no ... not really. one of the dps specs might show well after getting enough of the "best gear" before the next raid instance opens ... that certainly happens from time to time but it doesn't last.

and often times one of the dps specs does just kind of lapse into non-function ... but that generally passes too

they do try to preserve resto in a constant functional state at all times though, it's a healer. generally a game can't have tanks or heals going sour.

EDIT: I don't know why but it's longstanding, even back in vanilla straight dps shaman in raid were unheard of. the threat was too unpredictable ... people would joke "there were no dps shamans in vanilla" and so on. though unbreakable did pull off the 2h thing with a full pvp gear setup. (in pvp, that wasn't pve)
Wrath of the Lich King, Ele, Resto, and Enhance were all extremely dominant in PvP. Ele won a blizzcon tournament, Enhance and Resto were also top contender in the many MLG tournaments.

Mists of Pandaria, Ele, Resto, and Enhance were all extremely dominant in PvP. Ele and Resto both won Blizzcon tournaments.
Resto has pretty much always been a staple of high end pvp/pve. There have been ups and downs of course but on the whole its been on average the best shammy spec.

Ele/enh are generally middle of the pack dps. Firelands was probably eles best tier. Enh never really blew any minds but it has always been solid.
Shaman dps is always the latest bloomer, requiring max gear to perform at the top, along with optimal rotation and talents. This never lasts, as new raid tiers open and then we are back to middling at best. The exception to this, for example, is current BFA shaman: RNG-dependent.

Resto shaman are usually great for progression, but then fall off as soon as progression stops and farming starts.

An extremely secondary stat heavy class in an expansion with the least amount of secondary stats ever... feels bad man. We're screwed without a rework.
Thanks guys, from what I hear they're not too good right now? Trying to decide to use my boost on shammy or drood because they've both classes Ive never played.
08/24/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Gigadrill
Thanks guys, from what I hear they're not too good right now? Trying to decide to use my boost on shammy or drood because they've both classes Ive never played.

Rsham isnt GREAT for 5 man content in BfA but still perfectly doable, just a bit more work than most other heals. Enhancement is fine. People will complain; but Enh is fine. Elemental needs a little bit of tuning but is still competitive right now because of their AoE on trash. Single target Ele needs a buff cause their sustained damage is relatively low.

PvP -- resto will be fine in arena; not the greatest for Bg's but never really have been so not much has changed.
Enh-- is fine, squishy but can still be extremely scary and has good off/self healing.
Ele-- not much of a DPS spec in pvp. You're a utility bot that helps setup kills.

Without question - during vanilla. Yep, I used to go into WSG with a 2H weapon and smash the area like today's ret pally. But that was a very long time ago....
Vanilla
enhancement has always been in a pretty good spot some time top damage and then middle of the pack.

it has never been as bad as elemental is right now.
People have already covered most of the bases, but there was also enhancement in the 40-49 bracket through WotLK. One windfury proc and you were done.
WotLK was pretty good for both enhance and eke. In fact I remember ele getting out of hand with how fast spells were going out.
I feel all of us want shaman to be top dog, but define top dog. We're a hybrid class, we gotta have some weakness right? A pure dps class I feel should at least have a spec that out dps' us or a healer that out heals us, though it shouldnt be a tremendous gap between numbers. Should be player based on how well they understand their class and rotation along with passivess, traits now and and top priority skills in given situation.
I remember hitting people for 50% of their health with a single LvB+overload in 5.4.8. Also in wrath I think it was people were completely one shotting with LvB. (Sadly I didn't play during it but I've watched tons of videos) Wonderful times if I must say so
windfury with a giant 2h axe was awesome in pvp way way way back in the day.
Haven't followed the class much since TBC, but melee dps used to be...interesting in terms of performance for the class.

Windfury was a very difficult spell for Blizzard to balance in vanilla and TBC.

I would hit mobs just to have their health plummet sometimes. Other times I would sit there auto attacking waiting for a proc.

In reality it was very boring, but it was powerful enough to get players to complain.

I don't think any class in the game has a more brutal development story than the Shaman in all honesty though. Paladin is probably close, but they were kind of figured out back in WoTLK.

Ele shaman was fighting for top spot in Firelands, our 2 and 4 pc was so strong in Dragon Soul you still wore your Firelands 4 pc. So Blizzard nerfed them so that people would start using Dragon Soul gear. That was the only time as a Horde that I know shaman were tops.

Enhance had a good run in SoO for AoE fights. They could spread FS to every target within like 10 meters.
08/24/2018 11:13 PMPosted by Sanítyfalls
I feel all of us want shaman to be top dog, but define top dog. We're a hybrid class, we gotta have some weakness right? A pure dps class I feel should at least have a spec that out dps' us or a healer that out heals us, though it shouldnt be a tremendous gap between numbers. Should be player based on how well they understand their class and rotation along with passivess, traits now and and top priority skills in given situation.

The hybrid tax has been dead for ages. Different "pures" have had more self healing power than shaman on multiple occasions (and we will see how our healing scales this expansion once M+ and raids are out). There is no pure healer all all classes who can heal also have at least one DPS spec. Given how Blizzard has balanced things there's no justifiable reason for why shaman couldn't/shouldn't be at the top like other classes/specs have been.
Shaman was THE pvp class in Vanilla