Was Highmountain underwater ?

Story Forum
I'm really confused about the lore - did the shield that Suramar was holding up, cover the WHOLE area of playable Broken Isles?
Or were these areas repopulated?
Or do the mountain cows have gills ?
Or was it just Azsuna and Suramar that were underwater
:P
Please let me know what you know
I think its something of a retcon. Either only the Broken Shore and the ruins of Sargeras' tomb were the parts of the Broken Isles that were submerged and then resurfaced in later years, or they were never underwater to begin with.
It was retconned, only the Tomb was underwater before. We apparently just ignored the massive bubble up until this point.
Don't think about it. It makes less than zero sense, and doesn't reconcile with WC3: TFT.
08/27/2018 06:33 PMPosted by Erinesong
It was retconned, only the Tomb was underwater before. We apparently just ignored the massive bubble up until this point.

Its also possible the shield could have had a cloaking configuration when it wasn't having to fend off demons, and could actually could keep stuff from getting in.

We know people thought the heart of the city was destroyed during the WotA so this isn't that far fetched, that to the outside Suramar City looked like a sunken crater.
While yes, there are retcons galore, but I assumed that Gul'dan raised just the 'Broken Shore' component of the Broken Isles. Its the only one that looks like it was under-water.

When we first saw the Broken Isles in WC3, Maeiv comments on the ruins of Suramar around her. Of which there are plenty on the Broken Shore as-well as the coastal areas of Suramar.

It still doesn't change the fact that a Giant Bubble was right-there, in plain-view of everything...
08/28/2018 03:48 AMPosted by Balthrul
It still doesn't change the fact that a Giant Bubble was right-there, in plain-view of everything...

Was it?

I mean, the bubble could've been disguised. This was how the Kirin Tor established a base in Coldarra, under the nose of the Blue Dragonflight, by creating a magic dome that concealed them.
It’s viewable in game, that doesn’t mean it is in the story. Things are a lot further away than portrayed ingame. It takes 11 minutes to fly from Darkshore to Theramore, in the story that would take days.

Stormwind has hundreds of thousands of citizens. If that were portrayed in game, the houses would go all the way down to Booty Bay and all the way up into the Wetlands.
08/27/2018 06:33 PMPosted by Erinesong

Another thing retconned: The Wardens have had outposts and their biggest prison complex on that island for thousands of years, while the Cenarion Circle had their most sacred grove there.
Which makes it further flabbergasting that they never realized Suramar still stood.
08/28/2018 04:58 AMPosted by Resìleaf
Which makes it further flabbergasting that they never realized Suramar still stood.
Perhaps they knew it still stood but since nothing could actually penetrate it's shields, they didn't really bother to investigate further?
08/28/2018 05:04 AMPosted by Píppen
Perhaps they knew it still stood but since nothing could actually penetrate it's shields, they didn't really bother to investigate further?

Considering the nature of both the Wardens and the druids, I highly doubt this.
08/28/2018 05:15 AMPosted by Resìleaf
08/28/2018 05:04 AMPosted by Píppen
...Perhaps they knew it still stood but since nothing could actually penetrate it's shields, they didn't really bother to investigate further?

Considering the nature of both the Wardens and the druids, I highly doubt this.

Just retconned, they should have had full knowledge of the Vrykul when we went to Northrend as well.
08/28/2018 03:53 AMPosted by Ximothy
08/28/2018 03:48 AMPosted by Balthrul

Was it?

I mean, the bubble could've been disguised. This was how the Kirin Tor established a base in Coldarra, under the nose of the Blue Dragonflight, by creating a magic dome that concealed them.

I'd like to think it was camouflaged somehow, it would certainly be the easiest way to explain it.
Another thing retconned: The Wardens have had outposts and their biggest prison complex on that island for thousands of years, while the Cenarion Circle had their most sacred grove there.
I personally assumed that the Warden presence was a recent affair, and that any Night Elf presence in the Sacred Grove was largely cut off from the rest of their people.

Gots any lore for me to digest to the contrary?
08/28/2018 06:43 AMPosted by Rothiron
I personally assumed that the Warden presence was a recent affair, and that any Night Elf presence in the Sacred Grove was largely cut off from the rest of their people.

Gots any lore for me to digest to the contrary?

In the Demon Hunter intro after they're captured, Maiev tells her wardens to, "Take them to the Vault". So at the very least, the Wardens have been using it again since The Burning Crusade.

As for Val'sharah, the druids in the Dreamgrove were doing their own thing, but the place has been connected via the Emerald Dream the entire time. So any druid who wanted to go there for the past 10,000 years could.
bzzzt. This is your common sense speaking, please ignore the clan of Harpies inhabiting the eastern coast of the Broken Shore, for they do not exist.
08/28/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Khazlei
bzzzt. This is your common sense speaking, please ignore the clan of Harpies inhabiting the eastern coast of the Broken Shore, for they do not exist.

I mean at this point Broken Shore has been around for like 24 years, that's more than enough time for harpies to move in.
08/28/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Reignac
08/28/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Khazlei

I mean at this point Broken Shore has been around for like 24 years, that's more than enough time for harpies to move in.

I would agree with you, but all prior evidence indicate that Harpies rarely migrate. Why would they move there anyway? It’s probably one of the least hospitable places in Azeroth.
08/28/2018 05:41 AMPosted by Balthrul
08/28/2018 03:53 AMPosted by Ximothy

Was it?

I'd like to think it was camouflaged somehow, it would certainly be the easiest way to explain it.

Remember when dalaran was a big bubble?
I think we are use to it at this point. Just ignore the giant bubble or magical mist obscuring things that should always have been there.
08/27/2018 06:23 PMPosted by Violetris
I'm really confused about the lore - did the shield that Suramar was holding up, cover the WHOLE area of playable Broken Isles?
Or were these areas repopulated?
Or do the mountain cows have gills ?
Or was it just Azsuna and Suramar that were underwater
:P
Please let me know what you know

That wasn't Suramar, that was Zin'Azshari.... Azshara's capital city, the bulk of which did an Atlantis, and sank beneath the sea. Some of the outskirts were broken off and left as ruins in present day Azshara.