What is happening to tanks?

General Discussion
Tanks are going back to what they should be able to be! A tank! Where they keep the aggro, and most of the damage, but also needs a HEALER to be healed. Isn't the the point of support classes? To heal or tank? I ran way to many dungeons and some raids where I was just trying to out dps the dps in my restro spec since I didn't have to heal the tank. I like having to actually heal the tank, and I like the tank to actually have to play his class correctly to stay alive.
08/08/2018 04:33 PMPosted by Xevera
and I like the tank to actually have to play his class correctly to stay alive.

that was never not a thing, unless you're overgearing the content by several miles. In that case, that's not a new thing?
Isn't the the point of support classes? .

I'm all for tanks need a healer for sustained but they need a respectable amount of self sustain for encounters that let's face it dps are going to flub. Either you get caught out or someone else runs into you and now the healer has extra work.
Oh I hate to break it to you, but it will never be as good as Legion for tanks again. I tanked with 3 of the classes and healed with 3, and never have I seen it in high end content where tanks barely even needed heals. Tanks could even solo high end content like Mythic +25 or higher last I checked.

BfA is going back to where healers mattered... which is good imo.
08/08/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Deathmeter
I have the same concerns for tank, but at the same time we are still in prepatch. So, I'm just waiting for BFA to launch and see whats what. From what I've seen of on the beta though, it still seems like there isn't much of an issue with the current tanking strats.

Preach did say that average tank player will struggle, sooo yay! lol

Threat can be an issue in leveling dungeons for tanks moreso now. Tank pets are competition for aggro leveling; especially if the other person is a higher level than you. Taunts and aoes won't always work as well as they used to. I tested the waters and decided 120 is really where it's best to run dungeons. Probably best to test the waters of change with friends at 120 when Battle launches.
08/08/2018 04:33 PMPosted by Xevera
Tanks are going back to what they should be able to be! A tank! Where they keep the aggro, and most of the damage, but also needs a HEALER to be healed. Isn't the the point of support classes? To heal or tank? I ran way to many dungeons and some raids where I was just trying to out dps the dps in my restro spec since I didn't have to heal the tank. I like having to actually heal the tank, and I like the tank to actually have to play his class correctly to stay alive.

This has gone overboard in the other direction though.

And the "tank needing to play correctly to stay alive" has been true since MoP with the introduction of active mitigation. The difference now is that playing at the mastery of your class still makes you feel extremely uncomfortable on whether you'll live or not. I shouldn't be constantly worried if my healer is going to cover me or not.

Even with that though, the main thing is right now all of the tanks have very little impactful things to push. They just feel super slow.
08/08/2018 03:26 PMPosted by Kwanyin
Some of the self-sustain for tanks in Legion has been moved to Azerite gear traits.

The rest, well - self-sustain was pretty out of control near the end of Legion, I can understand them wanting to cut back a bit. My DK felt near immortal and almost entirely independent of outside heals most of the last half of the expansion.

(As for Guard sharing a tier with High Tolerance, my money is on Guard most of the time. It's a huge defensive cooldown on a short timer, what's not to love?)
Guard seems like it’s gonna be situational at best. It really shouldn’t be in competition with high tolerance or blackout combo. If anything it should be baseline again. I can’t think of a situation I’d take it over blackout combo honestly, let alone HT. It’s gonna have to be one hell of a damage shield to compete.