Blizzard, Why I dislike Mythic Only Dungeons

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Remind me, what does the "MMO" stand for in MMORPG?

That’s not a very original response here. A significant fraction of the player base has always played mostly alone, and doesn’t have a great interest in building an in-game social network.

But, yeah, sure, go with the acronym, that’ll really show ‘em.

Good thing you don't have to do that at all to do Mythic dungeons. Nobody even talks in them.
Just wait for awhile op they will add heroic versions later on no biggie.They did it in legion they will do it again in BFA.
They won't remain mythic only very long....it's just temporary like it was for court of stars, arcway, and karazhan.
08/08/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Whysilyn
That’s not a very original response here. A significant fraction of the player base has always played mostly alone, and doesn’t have a great interest in building an in-game social network.

They also shouldn't be catered to.
08/08/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Remilicious
Then maybe don't play an MMO.
Maybe don't be a butt? Oh no someone has social anxiety and players in wow are notoriously arses about the stupidest mistakes!
Sorry, but Blizzard should not be designing the game around your social anxiety. Mythic dungeons are fine exactly the way they are.

Everyone has equal access to this content. If you don't want to do it, do something else.
Well, the responses saying to roll with friends, or use a guild, are sort of missing the point that due to the social anxiety, those resources probably aren't there. And kudos to other repliers who rip into a person posting about social anxiety in a forum - I guess the irony is too blatant to even be funny?

I'd suggest you just try some mythic+0, don't talk to people, and don't listen. Just read up on the mechanics so nobody has to tell you what to do. Most of the runs I do, nobody talks in PuGs. In guild? We chitter chatter probably too much :) I agree with some of the replies saying you are over-thinking this, mythic+0 is easy.
I mean this in as nice a way as I can but, if the game design was catered to every single person's unique struggles, the game would be a mess. Do you not have friends you could run with?

Not trying to sound callous but Mythics really are not that difficult. If you did heroics during any expansion before Legion, you've done Mythic level content. MMOs were meant to be played with others. To get through life you'll need to interact with other people as well. I feel like MMOs would be the perfect opportunity to get used to that.

Also as to your point about not seeing people in LFD ever again. You likely wont see the group finder people either as it is also cross server.

What does that have to do with making mythic only dungeons? Why can't they be like 95% of the other dungeons in the game? With normal and heroic added? what's with singling out certain dungeons to mythic only?

OP. I understand what ur saying. And I can relate.

And I'll be reporting anyone "brave" enough to make a d-bag response like "get gud", or "don't play an mmo".
08/08/2018 04:44 PMPosted by Whysilyn
08/08/2018 04:40 PMPosted by Remilicious

Remind me, what does the "MMO" stand for in MMORPG?

And a significant majority of the content is available to solo players. But it's not crazy for an MMO to have a few things designed for (slightly) more social play.

The point is less "why would you play an MMO if you don't want to interact with people" and more "why would you expect 100% of content in an MMO to cater to you if you don't want to interact with people?"
08/08/2018 04:36 PMPosted by Whysilyn
That seems like it misses the point. The stressor isn’t the content, it’s the people.
No, it doesn't miss the point. Especially if it is the people.

Your guild is the one group, above all others, that should be the first one you turn to. If your guild is full of individuals who would rather spit on you than say hello, let alone help you do a dungeon run... THEN WHY ARE YOU IN THAT GUILD?!?!?!?!

I mention the easiness of the content so there's less pressure and the fact that they go pretty quickly, dungeon design not withstanding (e.g. Kara II), and so forth so it would not be a huge inconvenience for them to do it.
I would settle for blizzard not putting quests in mythics. as in proffession quests or quest chains not associated with mythics save for that 1 part.
08/08/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Remilicious

Then maybe don't play an MMO.

As cold as it sounds, this is the right answer.
Wow... this is great stuff for my thesis.
08/08/2018 04:18 PMPosted by Annaillusion
I won't be asking you to make changes for me or people like me here. Although I would not argue with you if you chose to do so. I simply want you to be informed of the impact this type of content has on a subset of your subscribers.

A few years back I was diagnosed with Social Anxiety, and Generalized Anxiety. Granted I am certain not all people with these personal problems struggle in the exact same way. I personally and I'm certain at least a fair amount of others under the same conditions feel more at ease in a less formal setting such as LFD. This setting allows us to group with people we will likely not see again which eases some of the burden to impress.

Due to this reason marking any dungeon Mythic only. Locks this content away from people like myself who are unable to function properly inside a organized group due to the pressure to perform. I will not ask you to undo your choices with any mythic only content. I will simply ask you to consider this when you make those choices. Much appreciation would be had. Thank you.

I have the same problem. I hoped it would be easier for me to socialize in the safe confines of an imaginary world, but it isn't. The toxicity/stress one must face to do the higher tier grouping is too much for me to handle, I hate that they are locking away content like this. Unfortunately people with these issues are only a small part of the community, so I expect this will be falling on deaf ears.
To the people that say maybe don't play a MMO if you have social anxiety. I don't think you understand. The way to help yourself is slow controlled exposure. I have pretty ridiculous social anxiety myself. Hence why all my toons are in a bank guild by myself. But if you just slowly keep dipping your toe in, eventually you are able to start wading in to the sea of people. It took me almost a year before finally doing a mythic+. When I did my first it took like another 2 weeks to go back. Then eventually I started running multiple runs a week after some time. The process will probably start anew with each expansion.

To the people saying Mythic 0 is easy. I think you may have slightly off memory. The Suramar dungeons were kind of miserable for a while in my experience. Groups that were constantly falling apart. Sure they're not as hard as some people make them out to be, but never underestimate the ability of other people to make your experience miserable.
The main issue is the devs choose to alienate a number of the playerbase by not having a heroic version. It's no different then the top 5% getting to experience the story part. While everyone else doesn't . Yet that 5% is just a fraction of the subscriber base$. The idealogy is no different then those in Wallstreet.
08/08/2018 05:29 PMPosted by Lizzbathory
To the people that say maybe don't play a MMO if you have social anxiety. I don't think you understand. The way to help yourself is slow controlled exposure. I have pretty ridiculous social anxiety myself. Hence why all my toons are in a bank guild by myself. But if you just slowly keep dipping your toe in, eventually you are able to start wading in to the sea of people. It took me almost a year before finally doing a mythic+. When I did my first it took like another 2 weeks to go back. Then eventually I started running multiple runs a week after some time. The process will probably start anew with each expansion.

If you never actually "dip your toe" in content beyond a queued system, you're not really helping yourself.

To the people saying Mythic 0 is easy. I think you may have slightly off memory. The Suramar dungeons were kind of miserable for a while in my experience. Groups that were constantly falling apart. Sure they're not as hard as some people make them out to be, but never underestimate the ability of other people to make your experience miserable.

That was early, and that's also because we're so used to blowing through all the content. Mythic 0 was hard the first few weeks - but past that it was pretty fine and dandy.

08/08/2018 05:33 PMPosted by Vera
The main issue is the devs choose to alienate a number of the playerbase by not having a heroic version. It's no different then the top 5% getting to experience the story part. While everyone else doesn't . Yet that 5% is just a fraction of the subscriber base$. The idealogy is no different then those in Wallstreet.
Mythic dungeons are done by far more than 5% of the playerbase. Just because it's called mythic doesn't actually make them comparable to mythic raids.
If you never actually "dip your toe" in content beyond a queued system, you're not really helping yourself.

This is true, and that's fine in my opinion. There's plenty to do in this game completely solo.

But more I just wanted to kind of dispel the annoying phrase that I hear over and over again "Maybe MMO's are for you". I started playing after I started having frequent panic attacks. The game was more a complete escape from the real world. I started in BC and I was a complete loner. Eventually I made 2 friends. After a long period of time I joined a guild. It took me like 6 months to finally get into voice comms. But by just slowly dipping my toe in the water eventually by Ulduar I was the main tank in the second ranked 25 man raid group on my server. The semi anonymous nature of MMOs can be therapeutic.

Sadly When my guild died after Dragon Soul, I never found another guild I liked. One of the problems I ran into was what I called the "Riggnaros Effect". If you remember, Riggnaros was the leader of Blood Legion. IIRC he was a former marine, and quite infamous for just yelling and denigrating his raiders. I guess they put up with it because they were the like #4 guild in the world. But when guild leaders of guilds barely able to attempt heroic bosses do that, it makes for a not fun time. I think I hopped through 10 different guilds in MoP, and every time it was miserable.