Metzen on how NOT to act as a fan

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
From the latest wowhead interview:

As the interview progresses, one can start to sense parallels to the most-extreme fan reactions to the Burning of Teldrassil, with the discussion explicitly moving towards WoW around the 30 minute mark. We're reminded that story arcs are started years in advance, and raking one employee over the coals, like Christie Golden, is unfair and unjust. Big decisions like Teldrassil are made way in advance by the game team, only later brought to members of the story team to dramatize the plot, not to actually create the plot.

Overall, Metzen doesn't shy away from stern language, expressing embarassment for the behavior of the nerd community. He's concerned with the community's mentality to throw stones online, and worries that some players cannot differentiate between being mad at an upsetting character within a work of fiction, and being mad at creators tasked to bring a story to life. He also pointed out the hypocrisy of people losing their minds over Teldrassil, completely writing the story off, and then a few days later gushing about how Saurfang's cinematic and story are absolutely perfect.

Given how many people all angry and shouting "bad writing" at Blizzard while attacking Christie Golden on twitter, Metzen's words ring true.

No, your idea of how the story "should" have played out is not valid.

Yes, you should consider that maybe, just maybe, you're being toxic and terrible.

And if you aren't a fan of something anymore, consider that perhaps it is not for you anymore.
I haven't found any bad writing yet. Other than Jaina and her ghost ship.
08/10/2018 02:25 AMPosted by Zaisun

Draenor is free!
WoD = Warlords of Depression

Please tell me you did not just post that unironically.

lol
08/10/2018 02:28 AMPosted by Lemires

Started in Legion with this game so guess I'm being serious.
08/10/2018 02:29 AMPosted by Zaisun
08/10/2018 02:28 AMPosted by Lemires

Then you are not in a position to comment as you have not seen Blizzard when they weren't crapologists.
08/10/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Lemires
Given how many people all angry and shouting "bad writing" at Blizzard while attacking Christie Golden on twitter, Metzen's words ring true.

This is a strawman. Just because some people are going over board and going after the wrong person doesn't mean it is not "bad writing".

There are so many plot holes in the story that I and others have made multiple lists.
08/10/2018 02:26 AMPosted by Giahn

Draenor is free!

Yeah, that was comical.
I'm sorry, Metzen defended the slow-motion train wreck that was the latest star wars. His opinions are now invalid to me.

'Tis a shame. He was pretty top tier in my book up until this.
08/10/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Garrondorf
I'm sorry, Metzen defended the slow-motion train wreck that was the latest star wars. His opinions are now invalid to me.

God forbid someone have an opinion different from yours.
08/10/2018 02:32 AMPosted by Briinn
08/10/2018 02:29 AMPosted by Zaisun

Then you are not in a position to comment as you have not seen Blizzard when they weren't crapologists.

I play this game so yes, I am in a position to comment. Just becusae I wasn't there for WoD doesn't mean I am not allowed to have an opinion.
08/10/2018 02:34 AMPosted by Manazzle

God forbid someone defend Star Wars: The Last Jedi.
08/10/2018 02:36 AMPosted by Garrondorf
08/10/2018 02:34 AMPosted by Manazzle

God forbid someone defend Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Thanks for playing.

No, your idea of how the story "should" have played out is not valid.

Everyone here is welcome to their opinion. Criticism is an important part of an artists work. You shouldn't just be telling anyone else they shouldn't feel their ideas are not valid. Christopher Metzen is not your champion nor would he agree with your behavior towards an audience.

Yes, you should consider that maybe, just maybe, you're being toxic and terrible.

This is actually toxicity. The attitude and the passive aggressive insults at people who you haven't established a dialogue with.

@ me with nonsense and get ignored or mocked.

Mocking people is actual toxicity. As is threatening others. If you want it to stop try positive reinforcement.

I been playing since WOTLK
There are plotholes in WoD alone big enough to fly Jaina's ship through.
If you don't want people to give opinions on your bad work, don't charge money for it.