Metzen on how NOT to act as a fan

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 26 Next
Someone thought it necessary to bring Metzen out of retirement for a softball interview with a site that absolutely has to kowtow to Blizzard for traffic.......to defend the pablum that is the current storyline.........

That would alarm me if I was one of the Blizzard White Knight Defense Brigade.
how many people took there criticism of Christie over the top? what maybe 10-20?

how many people play WoW? 2-3million

thats not even a .001%, thats like me lecturing Metzen on his Destruction of natural wildlife in Africa, or lecturing anyone in this thread about how they are ruining aerospace ventures with there shotty work.
Has BfA launched yet?

;.;
Metzen has an incredibly selfish view of his former company's product. If customers don't like what they are offered, they don't buy. Great, so what do?

Make your product something customers want to buy. If not, then it's not just the "creatives" with their hurt feelings who suffer - it's everyone else working at the company and busting their !@# trying to provide for themselves and their families who suffer.

Going after the fanbase is a surefire way to hurt everyone on the team down to Joe Schmoe cleaning the toilets. Chris might be fine because he's gotten his "F U" money but plenty of folks still depend on the success of WoW and other Blizzard products for their livelihoods.
blizzard set out to hit the player base right in the emotions, many people are saying bad writing because they don't like how the story has effected themselves emotionally. I have never seen this much controversy in a prepatch before, player screaming for sylvanas's head, even horde members. sympathy for sourfang and the NE's. Outrage and honor come into question.

my point is blizz managed to accomplish this thru the story they are telling. weather you agree with how things are playing out or not, if you make even 1 comment about it then you are just as invested in it as everyone else. Blizz wanted to make a splash, mission accomplished. its fantastic writing to get this kind of reaction out of the playerbase.

and how anyone can say bad writing on a flying ghost ship when the draenie have a space ship of all things is bananas. its a made up world, they can take things any direction they choose and anything is possible. I mean im horde for life but that ship was pretty damn cool.

just because you don't like the story so far, does not mean its bad writing, and if you got nothing better to do than threaten the writers, perhaps you need a break from the game as its taking over your life.
Anyone want to wager that Metzen was tapped and paid for this snippet?
08/10/2018 02:23 AMPosted by Lemires
From the latest wowhead interview:

As the interview progresses, one can start to sense parallels to the most-extreme fan reactions to the Burning of Teldrassil, with the discussion explicitly moving towards WoW around the 30 minute mark. We're reminded that story arcs are started years in advance, and raking one employee over the coals, like Christie Golden, is unfair and unjust. Big decisions like Teldrassil are made way in advance by the game team, only later brought to members of the story team to dramatize the plot, not to actually create the plot.

Overall, Metzen doesn't shy away from stern language, expressing embarassment for the behavior of the nerd community. He's concerned with the community's mentality to throw stones online, and worries that some players cannot differentiate between being mad at an upsetting character within a work of fiction, and being mad at creators tasked to bring a story to life. He also pointed out the hypocrisy of people losing their minds over Teldrassil, completely writing the story off, and then a few days later gushing about how Saurfang's cinematic and story are absolutely perfect.

Given how many people all angry and shouting "bad writing" at Blizzard while attacking Christie Golden on twitter, Metzen's words ring true.

No, your idea of how the story "should" have played out is not valid.

Yes, you should consider that maybe, just maybe, you're being toxic and terrible.

And if you aren't a fan of something anymore, consider that perhaps it is not for you anymore.

@ me with nonsense and get ignored or mocked.

Tell me something OP. In real life do you often state your opinion, insult those you are speaking to, threaten them, then run to your bedroom, shut the door, turn up the music then stick your fingers in your ears so as to lock yourself away from thoughts in opposition to yours?

You do realize that you are a perfect example of the traits you claim to apparently despise?

Hilarious. Bravo.
I needed that.

Also, thats the thing about writing, music, design, dance any form of self expression. Its subject to critique. Not everyone has to like it. Not everyone has to sing it's praises.

Pre Expac BFA has been judged by the MMORottenTomatoMeter and it's apparently been deemed, Rotten.

This is outside of my personal opinions.
Clearly those consuming the content, don't seem pleased.

Directors of movies that bomb deal with it.
Blizzard has to also.
Its simple.

Furthermore. The whole "Nerd Community" comment.
That "Nerd Community" puts food on the tables of every Blizzard employee.
Deal with their disappointment...
and move on.

Does one's disappointment in the current story affect their desire to play?
Yes for some. No for others. Those that are disappointed and stay are not hypocrites. No more than devout fans of Game of Thrones are, when they hated the Red Wedding episode and came back for more the next week.

If anyone is offended by the reaction to this phase of the BfA story, do yourself a favor and mature a little and grow a thicker skin.

To those of you who are stooping so low as to insult Christine Golden, I say to you the same thing. Mature a little. Grow a thicker skin.

Be and let people be, passionate about what they love and spent years (up to 14 for some) doing for fun.
Meh dont care what he thinks.
08/10/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Magikcool

just because you don't like the story so far, does not mean its bad writing, and if you got nothing better to do than threaten the writers, perhaps you need a break from the game as its taking over your life.

It's not bad writing, it's poorly written & completely outcome-based. Which makes it terrible writing.
I guess he is telling us to unsubscribe rather than complain about Golden et al. :P

Okay, his defense of Jay Wilson got me laughing. Yeah, Wilson didn't deserve what he got for sure, lol.
Writing was extremely good. So far I've enjoyed everything and can't wait for more. Don't get me wrong I found the burning of the tree and using the plague very upsetting but that doesn't make bad writing. With out conflict and controversy the game would be extremely boring.

Sylvanas is Warchief and the Loa wanted her there for a reason. Perhaps we don't know what that reason will be. But I'm willing to take the ride.
He also pointed out the hypocrisy of people losing their minds over Teldrassil, completely writing the story off, and then a few days later gushing about how Saurfang's cinematic and story are absolutely perfect.
I agree 100%, you can't have that good Saurfang story without a dark event occurring and they can't seem to grasp that.

No, your idea of how the story "should" have played out is not valid.

Yes, you should consider that maybe, just maybe, you're being toxic and terrible.

And if you aren't a fan of something anymore, consider that perhaps it is not for you anymore.

[/quote]

Goldie and Metzen are not the end-all for narrative writing. Scolding people for throwing vitriol online is one thing, but implying that fan input on a story is "invalid" is blatantly incorrect. This is the same company who shelved a big chunk of prior narrative concerning a certain orc warchief because of fan response, never mind small bits and pieces of appeasement to their fanbase in the form of easter eggs, character representation, faction "equality" and so on.

An author should have primary control over a story, but an author isn't writing for themselves; they are writing for an audience. It's a product. Part of shaping a product is making it more appealing to the group who's consuming it. I like the current escalation of war elements in the game's plot, but even I have to admit that you have to throw the people playing the game (supportive or otherwise) some sort of bone. Otherwise they'll leave. You don't want people to leave in a subscription-based game.
its fantastic writing to get this kind of reaction out of the playerbase.

What are you on about? You can argue that getting people talking about the game is good, but claiming that the current outrage is proof that the writing is good is nonsense. If the writing was good, people would pissed at either the Alliance or the Horde. Instead they're pissed at how Blizzard wrote the Alliance and the Horde.
9 pages! With a lot of people crying about Metzen telling them *precisely what they need to hear!* Joy.

Given how many people all angry and shouting "bad writing" at Blizzard while attacking Christie Golden on twitter, Metzen's words ring true.

This is a strawman. Just because some people are going over board and going after the wrong person doesn't mean it is not "bad writing".

Cool, so you don't know what a strawman is, and declared so atop a strawman.

This is actually toxicity. The attitude and the passive aggressive insults at people who you haven't established a dialogue with.

I don't owe cretins one iota of consideration for their garbage opinions, thanks. That includes you.

08/10/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Doomgard
how many people took there criticism of Christie over the top? what maybe 10-20?

That you feel like it targeted you specifically makes me think you're one of the "10-20" (it was way more than that).

08/10/2018 08:22 AMPosted by Demonflayer
its fantastic writing to get this kind of reaction out of the playerbase.

What are you on about? You can argue that getting people talking about the game is good, but claiming that the current outrage is proof that the writing is good is nonsense. If the writing was good, people would pissed at either the Alliance or the Horde. Instead they're pissed at how Blizzard wrote the Alliance and the Horde.

The post you quoted was correct and you're just dumb.
08/10/2018 08:17 AMPosted by Evenfel
He also pointed out the hypocrisy of people losing their minds over Teldrassil, completely writing the story off, and then a few days later gushing about how Saurfang's cinematic and story are absolutely perfect.
I agree 100%, you can't have that good Saurfang story without a dark event occurring and they can't seem to grasp that.

Personally I thought the Saurfang vid was pretty dumb also, but it does fit with their desire to manipulate the playerbase emotionally.

Kudos to Blizz for being on-point with even badly written stories accomplishing their objective. Definitely get the feeling they seriously underestimated the fallout.
Imagine defending the writing of the game the week that we just played through 20 minutes of endless alliance stupidity and back to back deus ex machina.
08/10/2018 08:03 AMPosted by Doomgard

thats not even a .001%, thats like me lecturing Metzen on his Destruction of natural wildlife in Africa, or lecturing anyone in this thread about how they are ruining aerospace ventures with there shotty work.

The annoying part is, every rational human knows this already.
So what they are doing is making the 10-20(or whatever number you wana use) nut jobs be the scapegoat for the thousands and millions of others.

Its such a cowardly tactic and besides Ion has gotten more hate then Christie by a country mile.

Side note: If he actually did defend Disney Wars writing that is incredibly dissapointing.
The post you quoted was correct and you're just dumb.

Would you mind elaborating on why you feel this way?
08/10/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Foresooth

It's not bad writing, it's poorly written & completely outcome-based. Which makes it terrible writing.

again, just because YOU don't like it, does not make it bad writing. Many of us think its good writing, a story is subject to how each individual portrays it. if you choose to portray it as bad then that's on you, you say its bad but here you are talking about the story with the rest of us. When I find a book or article I don't like or think is written poorly I stop reading or watching. and sure don't complain about the writer because its how they choose to tell the story, I respect that that's how they choose to portray it.