hunter vs mage leveling speed

Classic Discussion
assuming a fresh start, which class would level to 60 faster?
Mages drank more than played. Hunter was the easiest way to play.
In my opinion from playing in retail vanilla as well as 4 private servers. Nothing even comes close to Hunters in terms of leveling speed. They have virtually 0 downtime, as well as aspect of the cheetah at level 20-40 makes it super easy to fly through questing as well as no downtime makes grinding a cake walk.

Mages do level quickly, however they have massive amounts of downtime due to mana. If you can get way ahead of the curve and AOE farm efficiently you might be able to get close. Hunters will ahnds down be the 1st class on almost all realms to reach 60 1st.
When looking into I found a vanilla speed leveler kargoz who gave the following speed rankings in a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0OMrgWBNK4

1) Hunter
2) Druid
3) Warlock
4) Mage
5) Priest
6) Shaman
7) Rogue
8) Pally
9) Warrior

after watching a couple of his videos he seems to know what he is talking about and while they may not be 100% accurate they are prob pretty close.
Yeah don't be a warrior. I remember stumbling through to 60, so painful lol

As a matter of fact I was so turned off I think he's only at level 63 or 64 now
08/11/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Nopainnogain

If you can get the whirlwind axe in the early 30s its a breeze till near 40, same with ice barbed spear from AV at 51 for 51 to mid/late 50s
08/11/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Kelzar
08/11/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Nopainnogain

If you can get the whirlwind axe in the early 30s its a breeze till near 40, same with ice barbed spear from AV at 51 for 51 to mid/late 50s
its getting to 30 and having enough gold to hire people and pay for the items you need that is the problem lol.
08/11/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Xecks
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Don't remember having any problems with warriors 1-20 which while it took a bit of time was never really hard for any class. 20-30 can get a bit slow same with 40-50.

its getting to 30 and having enough gold to hire people and pay for the items you need that is the problem lol.

its a series of quests which untill the final quest is soloable at like 32/33 and a lvl 40 can solo the final quest especially if you are helping them. If you got a group of 5 warriors not sure what level they would need to be to complete the quest, prob could do it at pretty low levels with lots of rends/hamstring kiting. there are no items to purchase.

And depending on what version of AV they use its kill Korrak or finish a game for the spear.
08/11/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Kelzar
When looking into I found a vanilla speed leveler kargoz who gave the following speed rankings in a video:

1) Hunter
2) Druid
3) Warlock
4) Mage
5) Priest
6) Shaman
7) Rogue
8) Pally
9) Warrior

after watching a couple of his videos he seems to know what he is talking about and while they may not be 100% accurate they are prob pretty close.

I can't say for sure whether priest is faster than shaman but I'd agree with the rest of the list based on my experience and what I saw with friends, guildies, etc..

Rogue and warrior have by far the most downtime and paladin kill speed is pretty pathetic.
From memory, Hunter had the world record leveling to 60 in classic.
It was in the 4 days range. I remember a rogue coming in at 5 days played at some point, and that was impressive. (was a record at the time)
By the end of vanilla I considered myself excellent at leveling, and I rolled my 3rd priest to 60 in around 6 days played.
08/11/2018 03:37 PMPosted by Demorest

Only in BM. If you went for marksman build youre drinking more than a mage and it wasnt free for us. Also, there is an argument to be made for mages that leveled byAOE grinding.
Hunter, hands down. BM for even faster/easier
08/11/2018 06:20 PMPosted by Megalon
Hunter, hands down. BM for even faster/easier

My question is "why do you care whi levels faster?". Firstly - leveling is probably the awesomest part of vanilla, and if one doesnt care for leveling, they care for end game, and you dont want to level a hunter for end game.
08/11/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Dalese
08/11/2018 03:37 PMPosted by Demorest

Only in BM. If you went for marksman build youre drinking more than a mage and it wasnt free for us. Also, there is an argument to be made for mages that leveled byAOE grinding.

Which since everyone knows the AOE camps by now, they will be to populated at release. And no one is going to level marksmen whose serious about leveling.

Hunter is the fastest by a wide margin b/c they can chain kill every quest, every area, every camp etc and solo a good amount of elite quests.
Hunter was the fastest from my understanding
08/11/2018 04:00 PMPosted by Kelzar

1) Hunter
2) Druid
3) Warlock
4) Mage
5) Priest
6) Shaman
7) Rogue
8) Pally
9) Warrior

If private servers are any indication, Paladin is way low. The last server I leveled on, I was the 4th one to 60 with only 3 hunters ahead of me. I am not sure where this idea that paladins level slow came from. They are very efficient and can just keep on going without stopping. They can take on multiple mobs at once, solo most quests, and can AoE grind in the mid 40s till 60.

In my personal experience I would say
1) Hunter
2) Warlock
3) Mage
4) Paladin
5) Druid
6) Priest
7) Shaman
8) Rogue
9) Warrior
Druids and warlocks are way underrated for leveling and both are probably faster than mages.

As a feral druid you get a movement speed boost starting at level 20. Switching to cat/bear form and dropping out to heal when needed allows you to pretty much farm mobs non-stop. There is very little down time.

Warlocks have pets to tank stuff for them. They also pretty much never run out of mana due to life tap and dark pact. Like druids they pretty much have no down time.
I am very just informed they wanted to make a classic server of wow. I don't know what patch and how complete this ''classic'' is gonna be but: On Warsong the 1st player to hit 60 was a mage, so they level fast. Second was hunter.

Again, I have no idea how this classic will be.
08/11/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Matie
08/11/2018 06:16 PMPosted by Dalese

Which since everyone knows the AOE camps by now, they will be to populated at release. And no one is going to level marksmen whose serious about leveling.

Hunter is the fastest by a wide margin b/c they can chain kill every quest, every area, every camp etc and solo a good amount of elite quests.

Exactly this. The comparison between mage and hunter would be closer if you could include aoe leveling but you cannot. Because as the launch of every popular private server has shown: Everyone wants to AoE level their mage.

EVERYONE!

So every camp that exists.... all of them, are packed to hell with 3 or more mages competing for the pulls/respawns 24/7. AoE leveling is out, there will be far too many people trying it slowing you down while hunters stacking AGI/SPI gear will regen what little mana they do spend easily during the 5SR and always have great damage and tanking for their pets and bow.
08/11/2018 03:35 PMPosted by Terrorblåde
assuming a fresh start, which class would level to 60 faster?

Hunter is way faster. People talking about AoE leveling seem to forget the mage lacks that option at lower levels and even at mid levels you will be drinking a lot while that huntard marches on plowing through mob after mob. Warlock was a close second. Not sure why people list mage at the top of the list for leveling that just wasn't so in the vanilla era. A properly specced priest had less downtime than a mage so at best mage was 4th place for soloing quickly. Don't get me wrong it was easy to play a mage you had plenty of tools but you will see what I mean about mana problems you will drink more than you ever thought possible.