Azerite system extremely underwhelming

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 15 Next
08/16/2018 08:08 PMPosted by Dárìus
Vastly prefer this system to endless AP grinds

The funny part is you think this is any different.

You will be grinding to reach the level 27+ Azerite slot just as bad as you grinded AP in Legion, except now you get extremely inconsequential traits that don't do a fraction of what your Artifact Traits did. You trade things like Shattered Defenses, Juggernaut and Rage of the Valarjar that have an effect you can feel, or a slight change in your rotation priority or burst windows and instead take "Sometimes when you stab it, it bleeds" in their place.
Leveling an affliction warlock right now, and I've been looking at the dungeons and Uldir to see exactly how many spec-specific traits there are. From dungeons, there was:

Inevitable Demise
Damaging an enemy with Corruption increases the damage of your next Drain Life, stacking up to 100 times.

Dreadful Calling
Unstable Affliction deals more damage, and casting it reduces the cooldown on Summon Darkglare.

Cascading Calamity
Casting Unstable Affliction on a target not affected by it increases haste temporarily.

Deathbloom
If your Seed of Corruption detonates early, it deals more damage.

Wracking Brilliance
Every other soul shard that Agony generates increases intellect temporarily.

Sudden Onset
Agony deals more damage and starts with more stacks.

From raids, there was: Nothing new.

At all. Epic gear (including mythic dungeon gear) gets a 4th ring of traits, but only the first ring gives spec-specific damage-increasing traits, there are no others beyond the first ring, even when you get into the raid.

I'd like to point out that these six spec-specific traits are spread out across questing, all three difficulties of dungeons, and all four difficulties of Uldir. I assume it's the same (give or take one) amount of spec-specifics for each spec and class, and that honestly feels... underwhelming.

I really hope they introduce more spec-specific traits as the expansion goes on, though from how I view it, that's not likely. If they were to introduce new traits besides raid-specific traits like the Uldir one on the first ring, they'd have to scramble traits on dungeon gear, as they're likely going to do with BFA mythics what they did with Legion - Bring their gear up in item level every so often so that they stay relevant.

Realistically, they're either going to make new traits, but only have those traits available from new raids and new dungeons (in which case a lot of people would want more new dungeons to try and get these traits) or they won't add in any new traits at all, barring raid-specific traits that only affect being inside that raid.

I'm not sure how they'll handle it, but I can say personally that I'm not looking forward to power possibilities as the expansion goes on if we're going to be left with the same traits and no new ones for two years.
08/16/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Malorash
Vastly prefer this system to endless AP grinds

You will be grinding to reach the level 27+ Azerite slot just as bad as you grinded AP in Legion, except now you get extremely inconsequential traits that don't do a fraction of what your Artifact Traits did.

True but in this case you're only grinding for the one item, rather than multiple items for each spec. I will say I am not that excited over these azerite passive though. Feel any of these could have been made into the level 120 talent tree and then provide us something more worthwhile for gear progress if we're truly sticking with this artifact stuff permanently.
I'm also going to clock in that it's pretty blah. It's easy to run into a scenario where you get pieces you can't even unlock the first trait on. The RNG of traits/optimal stats is just horrid.

Trait balance is also just one more headache as well. It can turn the fun of getting an upgrade into a let down and that's never good.
08/16/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Ythisens
08/16/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Saarthronah
The inherent issue with Azerite gear as a whole is the fact that you are trading secondary stats for 2 traits and some main stats, that to me isn't a good trade off if every single azerite piece had say haste/verst as an example with 2 traits and the main stats they have now then they would be a worth while trade out.

But as it currently stands the one azerite piece is actually hindering me due to the lack of secondary stats which as a whole has made me weaker.

Edit: Oh and the current set of trinkets I've seen thus far suck.

These are some of the concerns I have but I'm hopeful. Getting into the higher pieces some of the procs are definitely providing some firepower and unique buffs, however they are passive procs/abilities or modifiers to existing abilities. I think when you're hitting some of the dungeon pieces it starts being more impactful over the secondary stats. At least that's my feel on it so far. I haven't jumped down the sim rabbit hole with them yet.

Yeah there is an abundance of on use trinkets and the actual proc trinkets seem pretty scarce but that feels a little similar to the beginning of Legion to me. Luckily there is plenty of opportunity to replace those before Uldir and M+ opens up. I'm after that Rezan's Gleaming Eye at the moment and I'll probably buy the Darkmoon deck in a day or two once the price lowers a bit.

they need to add azerite weapons. you still have to pick and choose, but at the same time you get to find something you can take with you and use for a while. personally i like some of it, i wish there were more items with things like passive movement speed boosts etc
08/16/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Malorash

You will be grinding to reach the level 27+ Azerite slot just as bad as you grinded AP in Legion, except now you get extremely inconsequential traits that don't do a fraction of what your Artifact Traits did.

True but in this case you're only grinding for the one item, rather than multiple items for each spec. I will say I am not that excited over these azerite passive though. Feel any of these could have been made into the level 120 talent tree and give us something more worthwhile for gear progress if we're truly sticking with this artifact stuff permanently.

You are correct there, the Legion system needed to share your Artifact level across all your artifacts.
Yea, that's about what the people in the beta said. What's that, I need two more Heart of Azeroth levels to unlock this trait which is the same trait as the one I have but now it has +2% effectiveness? Yea, I'll get right on that.
Don't listen to the blue, you can find most of the Azerite talents on icy veins. You have around 6-8 class/spec specific ones, a bunch of randoms that everyone gets and the 5 ilvl one.

It's literally a half **** glyph system.
08/16/2018 05:11 AMPosted by Sharlyn
Only thing that bugs me is I can't track the AP I get for the Heart of Azeroth AND a reputation at the same time. Seriously, that's just crazy.

You can once you hit 120. I am now tracking both my AP and a reputation.
Azerite gear has shined a massive spotlight on a core issue WoW has had for a very, very long time. Several specs are ridiculously reliant on huge amounts of secondary stats before they flow properly and do worthwhile DPS. Now that 3 (5 with trinkets) slots offer no secondary stats, those specs are very clearly showing their design issues.
Vastly prefer this system to endless AP grinds and progression via random number generator of artifacts and leggos.

It's exactly the same except now you grind endless AP to get boring passives that are required to be competitive DPS, but don't change your playstyle or make the class feel any better. I swear, Blizzard could remove half the classes and still somehow make most of you special people think its the greatest decision ever.
Vastly prefer this system to endless AP grinds and progression via random number generator of artifacts and leggos.

lmao what do you think Azerite is exactly?

It is literally AP Grind 2.0 with even more underwhelming "rewards"

08/16/2018 04:31 AMPosted by Machineman
I'm not sure why they didn't make the Azerite physicalized.

Yes, they take up bag space for the 3 seconds they're in there before you consume them... but consuming them felt a little like opening a Hearthstone pack. There was a tactile satisfaction to it.

These are the kinds of posts where I'm glad Blizzard doesn't listen to the community
08/16/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Ythisens
08/16/2018 01:58 PMPosted by Saarthronah
The inherent issue with Azerite gear as a whole is the fact that you are trading secondary stats for 2 traits and some main stats, that to me isn't a good trade off if every single azerite piece had say haste/verst as an example with 2 traits and the main stats they have now then they would be a worth while trade out.

But as it currently stands the one azerite piece is actually hindering me due to the lack of secondary stats which as a whole has made me weaker.

Edit: Oh and the current set of trinkets I've seen thus far suck.

These are some of the concerns I have but I'm hopeful. Getting into the higher pieces some of the procs are definitely providing some firepower and unique buffs, however they are passive procs/abilities or modifiers to existing abilities. I think when you're hitting some of the dungeon pieces it starts being more impactful over the secondary stats. At least that's my feel on it so far. I haven't jumped down the sim rabbit hole with them yet.

Yeah there is an abundance of on use trinkets and the actual proc trinkets seem pretty scarce but that feels a little similar to the beginning of Legion to me. Luckily there is plenty of opportunity to replace those before Uldir and M+ opens up. I'm after that Rezan's Gleaming Eye at the moment and I'll probably buy the Darkmoon deck in a day or two once the price lowers a bit.

Hey any way you can relay that tanks are pretty much useless now? I main prot paladin and as a tank I can pretty much die to 3 mobs and that shouldn't be happening since tanks be definition should be taking damage and being fine about it and these are world mobs not dungeon mobs either.

I feel so so much weaker than I was at 110.
I like it.
08/16/2018 04:13 AMPosted by Hardbop
Surely im not the only one who feels this way? The azerite gear is essentially the netherlight crucible. Most traits are passive and boring.

Does it get better as the xpac goes on or..?

It just feels lazy to me, which is disappointing more than anything. BfA's mechanics feel like they were lifted from Legion, but then boiled down to their utter basics. The aesthetics and "fluff" were half the point of these systems. Instead of Azerite gear being something we go out of our way to actively work on, it's just another menu system. It's not wrong, per se...it's just underwhelming.

And that word, "underwhelming", is pretty much the most succinct way I can describe so much about this expac. It's not bad. It's just lesser in a multitude of ways that add up fast.
08/16/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Eeladinnoo
Practically everyone that has played Beta/followed beta has been saying this for 6 months. The idiots that kept saying "ITS BETA!!" were wrong again, big surprise.

Its a totally fail system. Its bad enough the Crucible was a joke, i HATED the relics, to much RNG on top of RNG. Then trying to deal with the relics as what is better without a science degree was a total turn off.

It has been said for the last year, that the Azerite system stinks on ice! But did they listen? Nope! They went and took out even more fun, Tier, Leggo's, atrifacts with some great traits, and they give us a slot machine system in the place of ALL THREE of the things that made the game bearable and fun.

It really is a cruddy system, even though you have a blue trying to sell us on what was the worst part of Legion, the Crucible!

Just goes to show you, they are on a non stop, all go no slow train thats about to wreck real bad. if it has not wrecked already.

Sad to see three things taken out and replaced with a RNG slot machine that has rewards worse than a Happy Meal!
Answer his !@#$ing question, we all know how games are developed we don't want to be scammed into paying more money for a product you either already know doesn't or does exist and are intentionally withholding it for monetary gains. This is corrupt deadbeat %^-*. Its almost like no one at blizzard knows about the current outrage culture and then they make an expansion based off the system that is toxic without revamping tos rules. If this is the bulk of the customization you're going down the road destiny 2 did. Those chests are also bs. You obviously had another whole expansion filled with legendaries and then removed them. You saw if you did that and removed the chests something would feel like its missing, ontop of the already missing feeling. So many screw ups we need public firings, blame posted on who and why. Remove the chests filled with greys and just add the resources to missions ffs. Its almost like you don't hire people with an IQ above 40.

Also you're a straight up liar that passive is on starter pally gear. Stop justifying why you're eating cat !@#$ out of the litter box and calling it chocolate.
08/16/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Tinnah
I found a pretty good one for Rogue. It drops bubbles and you have to pick them up, and they give you a stat boost, and sometimes it drops a purple bubble that gives you an even higher one. It's a pretty fun mechanic, the rest are not as cool, but something I have to be mindful of, like shadowblade stacks or something.
isnt that just the demon hunter thing?
08/16/2018 04:34 AMPosted by Hnetu
08/16/2018 04:31 AMPosted by Rombell
The traits are like talents, except it's an added rng factor on top of our gear slots.

Just slows the game down for the sake of slowing down.

Don't forget that you'll need to carry multiple sets for multiple specs. If you DPS for questing and tank/heal dungeons and raids you'll need 2-3 sets! Or pay every time to reforge them.

I've already got two sets, one for Arms and one for Prot. Goodie....

This is the way the game has worked for as long as it's existed. Personally I'm happy that I don't have to grind AP separately for each spec. Carrying a few pieces of replacement gear in my bags is no trouble at all.
Bump. It has so much potential... They need to get this right.