Stop making me weaker the more gear I get

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next
I love how the blues are responding to stuff like joke tips during the loading screen
08/20/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Vrorgar
I feel like ilvl scaling is a bit unwarranted.

Yeah this is weird.
I thought it was just going to be character level scaling, but ilevel, wow.
08/20/2018 12:37 PMPosted by Maugis
08/20/2018 10:14 AMPosted by Vrorgar
I feel like ilvl scaling is a bit unwarranted.

Yeah this is weird.
I thought it was just going to be character level scaling, but ilevel, wow.
Blizzard has gone too far with the scaling. We should never get weaker as we level up or increase our item level. As Ion said, "Power progression is a core part of the game." Right now this is broken. We should not have to wait until we are max level with 330+ item level gear.

Very poorly implemented design.
Holy crap.... I didn't knew about ilevel scaling, that's why I killed easily a monster while levelling and I got wrecked at 120 by the SAME monster.

Ian never ceases to surprise me... best game director ever!
For me, mobs in zones that prior to scaling were designed for around my current level (54, Taranis, Ungoro Crater), feel great. However, I went to Azshara last night to get the quest/exploration achievements, and...

...slaughtered by a stag and two scouts. On this same character at 15 I could have easily handled them, but the scaling when in zones originally designed for much lower level is fubar. Heck I couldn't kill one sniper while in robot form for the first quests.

If iLvl is being used to in the scaling formula, maybe I should craft a set of copper armor for those low level zones. Or go naked.
You should try it as an S priest :)))))))))))))))))))
take off your armor and go naked!
08/19/2018 11:59 PMPosted by Therothe
The ilvl scaling for this xpac is completely atrocious.

It really is. I understand the concept of level scaling and have no issues with it to an extent. However, you shouldn't be able to take on 10 mobs at once at level 111 and then struggle to fight two mobs at once at level 120.

Seeing as how a Demon Hunter is my only max level character right now, I don't have it as bad as many classes do. I have leech on my character, so I get a lot of self healing and from killing added mobs, but still, it's very noticable.
I noticed the ilvl scaling while doing WQs in stormsong over by Fort Daelin., one of the naga, maybe tideguard something or another, had about 72k hp when i was around 280 ilvl, noticed it was 132k @328-330 ilvl and now im 337 and its sitting at 145k hp.

Kinda ridiculous mobs are scaling this way, i understand there needs to be some sort of scaling so were not just 1 shotting mobs because thats what would happen once uldir drops and we gear through it. I think its more of a problem with how quickly we become more powerful. This wasnt an issue in Vanilla-Cata (stopping at cata because thats when i unsubbed) because the ilvl/stat increases werent as steep.

Think back to legion in Emerald Nightmare when people were pumping 300-400k dps and come the end of legion people were putting out 2-3mil dps. I imagine at some point the scaling will be much less noticeable than it is now, i also think mob scaling wasnt implemented until sometime in legion, maybe Nighthold, so it impacted people less than it would have if it had been there in the beginning.

Currently im doing about 10k dps on mobs in the open world so i imagine by the 2nd or 3rd raid tier that number may be upwards of 40-50k? i doubt by then npcs in the open world will be as much of a challenge. Fortunately ima DH and can mass pull and eye beam groups of mobs and bring down a large portion of their hp and finish them off with relative ease. I know many other classes have a problem pulling large groups like that and getting them down unless they have some good self healing so i see the issue other players are having.
08/20/2018 12:43 AMPosted by Lucardo
I hate the fact that gearing up almost feels like a bad thing now. As you get better gear, you should become more powerful. World quests should become quicker and easier as a result. I don't get how Blizzard fails to understand that.

It isn't a gear issue (although stats do play a role). It is a scaling issue. As you level up so does what you are fighting. A fresh 120 is at the weakest part of the game. Mobs hit harder, you no longer have perfect stats and you no longer have the awesome gear gifts from Legion. I hate it, but I also know that each xpac this happens and I have to push on and hope the upgrades I get fix the stat issues so my spells work the way they are intended to work.

I do think a big mistake blizzard made was making it so easy to get to 120. It gave us this sense that we could destroy the world. I recently watched a 110 kill a rare in 3 hits. I struggled to get the thing down at 120 lol.
just imagine it you applied this to real life : you join the army and as a private you kick !@# and all is well.

You gain a few ranks to captain and things seem harder to take down and the privates freshly enlisted can nearly take you in a sparring match.

You take the green beret training course (ding 120) and pass at the top of your class (400ilvl) and see a freshly enlisted private and decide to show him whose boss ~ and get sent to the hospital by him.

That is basically what wow has become now - leveling helps little and god forbid if you gear up.

Give us back our old post max cap experience because otherwise many will unsub because honestly with the way things are now wow is looking too much like real life in that nothing ever seems to get easier even though it should be with time,experience and wisdom.
08/20/2018 03:26 AMPosted by Thôr
08/19/2018 11:59 PMPosted by Espur
But it's fun if things take longer no matter how much gear you get. Character progression isn't important in an RPG.

Most moronic comment ever made right there.
Everything about wow going back to RTS has been progression based the entire genre is based on character progression.

Name one thing we get to keep going in to a new Expansion that counts as Character Progression. I'll wait.
It’s a necessary evil.
08/20/2018 10:20 AMPosted by Suréna
You're going to start gearing up now.

That's going to continue for more than a year. You will be swatting those mobs like flies in a month or two.

They could have your character just increase in power exponentially, but your character's mind would be slowly corrupted, and then you would have to be turned into a raid boss, and killed.

This keeps you humble. You can't be the hero of the story if everything is easy.

No I won't. I'm going to play a game where the gameplay is actually fun and the devs don't sniff glue. 24 days till sub expires...since they ignored all feedback in beta, the odds of anything changing in that time are next to nil unless they get super scared of all the subs dropping.
08/20/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Kiwì
08/20/2018 12:43 AMPosted by Lucardo
I hate the fact that gearing up almost feels like a bad thing now. As you get better gear, you should become more powerful. World quests should become quicker and easier as a result. I don't get how Blizzard fails to understand that.

It isn't a gear issue (although stats do play a role). It is a scaling issue. As you level up so does what you are fighting. A fresh 120 is at the weakest part of the game. Mobs hit harder, you no longer have perfect stats and you no longer have the awesome gear gifts from Legion. I hate it, but I also know that each xpac this happens and I have to push on and hope the upgrades I get fix the stat issues so my spells work the way they are intended to work.

I do think a big mistake blizzard made was making it so easy to get to 120. It gave us this sense that we could destroy the world. I recently watched a 110 kill a rare in 3 hits. I struggled to get the thing down at 120 lol.

Okay back in legion I played my warlock a lot and as I gained levels the mobs hit a lot harder - I expected that BUT once I hit level 110 and got some new gear things got easier to vanquish helped by the fact that my class hall weapon grew in strength as did the bulk of my other gear, i was left feeling much stronger as should be the case ~~ but not with this expansion,I feel weaker every time my ilvl increases and now even over world mobs hit like freight trains which is just insane.

I should be killing single mobs with no worries and small packs with little concern at this point on my warlock yet i am having a rough go of it,and that situation seems to only get worse as my gear gets better - i feel like a level 100 questing at this point because nothing dies without nearly killing me in the process and it is not fun at all.

Honestly until blizz fixes this I am done with the current zones although i will play on my non leveled toons in the older zones but not on my lock or mage that I leveled so far and have loved playing all these years.

Gaining gear only for a level 120 with an ilvl of 350 and higher should honestly make you feel stronger not make you truly weaker to the point you feel ineffective in current content.

What's blizzes next step on this path of insanity? -- make the low level mobs in Elwynn forest scale to 120 to make them a challenge? -- at that point most will have quit because an endless grind with no breaks is not fun and not worth our continued support because at the end of the day we play wow to be HEROES and not VICTIMS just trying to not die repeatedly..
In vanilla wow we had to eat,drink, and or bandage after every mob kill!

And we liked it!

/shakes cane at
So far I'm fine with the sound of ilevel scaling. I don't have time for mythic nor mythic+ dungeons, let alone raiding so having monsters a bit more difficult out in the open world helps keep it interesting for me. I'm betting that the ilevel scaling will cap at a certain point and those that it won't take long for players to start over-powering the content.

If it's proving too hard, I'll simply msg some friends to make a group and we'll work on it. Sounds even better than steamrolling everything the very moment I hit max level.
08/20/2018 02:29 PMPosted by Lovefool
In vanilla wow we had to eat,drink, and or bandage after every mob kill!

And we liked it!

/shakes cane at

You also got SIGNIFICANTLY stronger as you geared/leveled compared to mobs in zones you were previously fighting. Perhaps a bit too far, but this extreme is even worse. I remember getting a Flurry Axe in the low 40's of vanilla on my shaman (gave a chance to proc an extra attack, back then white damage was no joke and it could proc windfury/off windfuries) and it made me turbo broken for quite a few levels.

Also, I was a nolife Naxx raider back then, going into Old AV with 3-4 buddies that were also geared out and basically holding back 20+ horde due to the gear difference was tons of fun, though extremely broken. It is a very different game now.
08/20/2018 03:26 AMPosted by Thôr
08/19/2018 11:59 PMPosted by Espur
But it's fun if things take longer no matter how much gear you get. Character progression isn't important in an RPG.

Most moronic comment ever made right there.
Everything about wow going back to RTS has been progression based the entire genre is based on character progression.

Joke.jpg <-- the joke

(o_O) <-- you

whoosh
But guys, it's SUPER FUN fighting for your life against raccoons and deer.
You just got spoiled by being able to destroy entire armies of demons in a single fight. The true challenge is in how you handle that random wildlife.

Come on, be daring, fight two... no, THREE things at once!

Yeah. I've had to retrain myself to NOT use AOE because it's honestly not worth it to swipe or use brutal slash against multiple targets right now. My only hope is to focus down each target individually and pray I make the right choice in prioritizing them.

While I'm okay with things being a challenge, it's gotten to the point right now where fighting things and doing any sort of "Kill x number of things" quest is tedious because -every- fight takes a while. I don't feel any sense of progression or accomplishment from leveling to 120 and upgrading my gear, not when the fights have gotten longer and harder as I go along.