The Silence System Needs Fixing - Automated Silencing w/ Reports is Easily Abused

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11 Next
08/23/2018 04:50 PMPosted by Mirasol
08/23/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Krypollo
Wait till people like you get to the real world and some guy spits in your face. Aint gonna be able to silence him then you communist.

Communists don't have an issue with swearing or spitting.

We, in the US, do consider that assault though so our democratic laws allow for that person to be arrested and charged.

So yes, we can make that person go away.

Just like people who can't watch their mouth can be ejected from homes, schools, businesses, and work places. This is how it has always worked. It is not a political thing.
You don't understand. I live in the US too. I dont mean someone physically spitting at you although it could happen. Someone abslutely has every right to yell and scream at you in public. You cannot get arrested for that lol. It's political because they dont want all these snowflakes getting their liberal commie feeling hurt.
08/24/2018 04:34 AMPosted by Krypollo
Someone abslutely has every right to yell and scream at you in public. You cannot get arrested for that lol. It's political because they dont want all these snowflakes getting their liberal commie feeling hurt.

Interesting.

Wrong, but interesting.

There's a point where yelling and screaming at someone becomes menacing. It's a judgement call on law enforcement's point of view, but they most certainly can detain and charge you for harassing someone verbally. It usually is prefaced by an admonishment to calm down and stop, but I certainly have seen police officers arrest people for harassing people verbally.

There's usually a consequence for anti-social behavior. Here in game, if you ignore chat channel rules you might be unable to use them for a time. Those are rules you agreed to when you signed on to play. They haven't changed since the game started. The only change is that instead of gametime timeouts, they've moved to simply chat channel timeouts.

You might wish to spend some time perusing your locality's laws before you run around assuming you can be abusive to others without consequences.
You don't understand. I live in the US too. I dont mean someone physically spitting at you although it could happen. Someone abslutely has every right to yell and scream at you in public. You cannot get arrested for that lol. It's political because they dont want all these snowflakes getting their liberal commie feeling hurt

Most, if not all, jurisdictions haw laws regarding public nuisance, disturbing the peace, and the like. So no, you do not have an absolute right to scream at someone in public.
It's political because they dont want all these snowflakes getting their liberal commie feeling hurt.

So let me break this down. You are saying that all liberals are commies? Reality - are there any actual commies in the US? Or are there just a handful of people who think they are cool because they read some books about it? Hmmmm Have you ever met an actual communist or do you just throw out that kind of argument online? Do you feel that every single person who knows how to behave in public and use manners is a liberal?

You are saying you are not a liberal, therefore you are conservative. The party of family values. The party of the religious evangelicals. You identify with them, yet advocate a safe space for you to be verbally rude and profane?

I think you are picking the wrong party to identify with if you think conservatives advocate for the kind of behavior you seem to support.

The only people having meltdowns are the people coming here to whine that WoW is not their safe place to be a jerk and they have to follow basic social rules in public chat. People reporting you means they don't want to put up with you.

Pretty sure there is a safe space over on 4chan though or you can make your own private chat channel with friends in WoW.
08/24/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Mirasol
It's political because they dont want all these snowflakes getting their liberal commie feeling hurt.

So let me break this down. You are saying that all liberals are commies? Reality - are there any actual commies in the US? Or are there just a handful of people who think they are cool because they read some books about it? Hmmmm Have you ever met an actual communist or do you just throw out that kind of argument online? Do you feel that every single person who knows how to behave in public and use manners is a liberal?

You are saying you are not a liberal, therefore you are conservative. The party of family values. The party of the religious evangelicals. You identify with them, yet advocate a safe space for you to be verbally rude and profane?

I think you are picking the wrong party to identify with if you think conservatives advocate for the kind of behavior you seem to support.

The only people having meltdowns are the people coming here to whine that WoW is not their safe place to be a jerk and they have to follow basic social rules in public chat. People reporting you means they don't want to put up with you.

Pretty sure there is a safe space over on 4chan though or you can make your own private chat channel with friends in WoW.
There are actual commies they are in the media, education system, and entertainment industry. If you don't see that then you are blind as a bat. Modern liberalism is basically communism, marxism, fascism. These are all forms of left wing ideology. None of them have anything at all to do with being on the right.
Someone abslutely has every right to yell and scream at you in public. You cannot get arrested for that lol.

Seriously how are people this ignorant? You do realize that in most states this is a crime know as "disturbing the peace"?

If some one starts screaming at you or yelling in an aggressive manor you can call the police on them.
08/23/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
It does fit the crime. Don't do dumb stuff, you won't get put in the corner.

If you could talk across Bnet, there would be zero punishment.

Parents put kids in the corner when they break the rules. They're not allowed to talk to anyone.

You got put in the corner.

Learn your lesson.

I just wish you also couldn't post on the forums when you get silenced in game.

A) Blizzard is not my parent, my guardian, or my superior.

B) Punishments create disdain/contempt. (Everyone hates their boss.)

B.1) Creating a negative relationship with a CUSTOMER - loses their business

C) Mob rule does not always equal blizzard's rules

C.1) Ex. Your post could be in violation of the COC section entitled "Harassing or Defamatory". As you refering to me as a child is, in fact, defamatory. Should we all report you so you get a taste of over-reaction by the mob?

D) Silence/Ban threats with no 100% clear rules create an atmosphere of fear and apprehension where people are afraid to be themselves.
08/24/2018 07:00 AMPosted by Krypollo
There are actual commies they are in the media, education system, and entertainment industry. If you don't see that then you are blind as a bat. Modern liberalism is basically communism, marxism, fascism. These are all forms of left wing ideology. None of them have anything at all to do with being on the right.

Son, I consider myself to be a proponent of Marxist theory, at least in part.

The slightly left-leaning ideology found in American media and higher education is better than the alternate...but actual, committed leftists view them as centre-left at best.
08/24/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Hùmpty
A) Blizzard is not my parent, my guardian, or my superior.

So?

B) Punishments create disdain/contempt. (Everyone hates their boss.)

So? Of course those who are punished for breaking the rules don't like being punished.

B.1) Creating a negative relationship with a CUSTOMER - loses their business

So.1? They are not going to not punish rule breakers for fear of losing that buisness.

C) Mob rule does not always equal blizzard's rules

There is no mob rule. The 10+ required reports gives you a limited silence and then flags your actions for review by an actual Blizzard employee and not the mob.

C.1) Ex. Your post could be in violation of the COC section entitled "Harassing or Defamatory". As you refering to me as a child is, in fact, defamatory. Should we all report you so you get a taste of over-reaction by the mob?

No it is not and no he is not. False reports ARE in violation of the rules though.

D) Silence/Ban threats with no 100% clear rules create an atmosphere of fear and apprehension where people are afraid to be themselves.

If being yourself results in you getting silenced then I would recommend not being yourself.

You need to understand Blizzard's goal is to clean up the toxicity often seen in public chat channels. If you are constantly running afoul of other players then Blizzard is just going to make it so you can't interact with those players. This is one of the cases where I also don't think they overly care if those people quit.
08/23/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Willkiller
08/23/2018 08:45 PMPosted by Meiradt
False.

The only thing that needs to change is people learning how to ignore people that triggers them

False.

That is merely victim blaming and trying to pass off the responsibility to others to not react to the rule breaking rather than the rule breakers having the responsibility to not break the rules.

It really reminds me of "affluenza" and the infamous "she was asking for it by the way she was dressed" arguments.

Specious insulting arguments to avoid responsibilities and consequences for their actions.

False
08/23/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Willkiller
False.

The only thing that needs to change is people learning how to ignore people that triggers them

False.

That is merely victim blaming and trying to pass off the responsibility to others to not react to the rule breaking rather than the rule breakers having the responsibility to not break the rules.

It really reminds me of "affluenza" and the infamous "she was asking for it by the way she was dressed" arguments.

Specious insulting arguments to avoid responsibilities and consequences for their actions.

False

08/23/2018 09:14 PMPosted by Carhagen
False.

The only thing that needs to change is people learning how to ignore people that triggers them.

Oh hey, it's you again.

The same troll that was making threads about this before. How do I know? Because your response is identical to so many others you've made in similar threads you've created. You really should be banned from the forums at this point.

You really should be banned from this forum for being a blizzard shill.

Parents put kids in the corner when they break the rules. They're not allowed to talk to anyone.

Learn your lesson.

What you and many others fail to see or to admit is that people find literally everything regardless of what it is offensive, for instance, if you said something I didn't like in any form even if you never broke ToS I can simply go get 10 people to report you because you said something I didn't like and found it offensive to me, of which can be stated within the report description and the GM can take that, look at it from my perspective and say "oh i guess that could be offensive to you"

Edit: And Blizzard can't fault me for finding things offensive because everything can be taken offensively.
08/24/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Saarthronah

Learn your lesson.

What you and many others fail to see or to admit is that people find literally everything regardless of what it is offensive, for instance, if you said something I didn't like in any form even if you never broke ToS I can simply go get 10 people to report you because you said something I didn't like and found it offensive to me, of which can be stated within the report description and the GM can take that, look at it from my perspective and say "oh i guess that could be offensive to you"

Edit: And Blizzard can't fault me for finding things offensive because everything can be taken offensively.

So go ahead and do so, be sure to come back here after your game suspension for abusing the report system (aka "disruptive gameplay") is done to let us all know how that works out for you.

Most of the reasonable people who don't wear tinfoil hats already know.

Not to mention the difficulty in getting 10 other random people to agree to risk their accounts just to attempt to squelch people for "the giggles". Plus your risk is much higher as the organiser.
08/23/2018 08:59 PMPosted by Thundertotem
08/23/2018 08:56 PMPosted by Meiradt
False
How is it False? Player A reports Player B, GM reviews Player B, find violation and applies a Silence? Player A caused Player B to be silenced. Working as intended in my books.
I'm still waiting to find out why you think this is false, Meiradt.
08/24/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Willkiller
So go ahead and do so, be sure to come back here after your game suspension for abusing the report system (aka "disruptive gameplay") is done to let us all know how that works out for you.

Not to mention the difficulty in getting 10 other random people to agree to risk their accounts just to attempt to squelch people for "the giggles". Plus your risk is much higher as the organiser.

A game suspension is unlikely, fyi look at the world now a days or even chat, you'll see a lot of people getting salty over something harmless yet they find it so offensive that they need to get salty over it. If you actually read chat once in a while you'd notice things.

Edit: You also clearly read what I typed out wrong as well, it has nothing to do with "laughs" or "giggles" people now a days find just about anything offensive.
Here is a good rule of thumb.

If you wouldn't speak that way in front of your grandmother/great grandmother then don't say it in public chat.
08/23/2018 06:54 PMPosted by Verdre
Idun, I just googled "14 words".

The first reference was to a hate group. We'll leave it at that.

Eyup. And not one of those words is a curse or slur on their own. That's what's meant by "The filter doesn't catch everything", for those wanting examples.
08/23/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Fherra

Secondly, the TOS does NOT, and I have said this till I'm blue in the face, and even quoted it, tell you what is and isn't appropriate either. It says "vulgar or offensive language". If the other word for a bowel movement is "vulgar and offensive" to you, then why are you playing a game rated T? Do you watch PG13 movies? Do you like Deadpool? Wolverine? Marvel movies in general? I sure hope not if language tickles your offensive meter.

Clearly you understand what is considered "vulgar or offensive language" and you clearly understand that it violates blizzard ToS. Since that is the case, then be an adult and control what you say in game. It is that simple. Complaining about it shows you lack self control.
08/24/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Saarthronah
08/24/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Willkiller

A game suspension is unlikely, fyi look at the world now a days or even chat, you'll see a lot of people getting salty over something harmless yet they find it so offensive that they need to get salty over it. If you actually read chat once in a while you'd notice things.

Edit: You also clearly read what I typed out wrong as well, it has nothing to do with "laughs" or "giggles" people now a days find just about anything offensive.

Yes, suspensions for abuse of the chat report feature do happen. A streamer got one for it, which was pretty public. There was one on the CS forums the other day too. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765226379#post-1

Yes we abused the report system and we got rightfully temp banned for it,