The Silence System Needs Fixing - Automated Silencing w/ Reports is Easily Abused

General Discussion
Prev 1 9 10 11
08/23/2018 03:43 PMPosted by Meiradt
Silence penalty needs to be changed. Preventing you from talking with your friends is bad punishment.

This punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

And automated silences need to stop.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.... whoa.. don't Do it!
08/24/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Saarthronah

A game suspension is unlikely, fyi look at the world now a days or even chat, you'll see a lot of people getting salty over something harmless yet they find it so offensive that they need to get salty over it. If you actually read chat once in a while you'd notice things.

Edit: You also clearly read what I typed out wrong as well, it has nothing to do with "laughs" or "giggles" people now a days find just about anything offensive.

Yes, suspensions for abuse of the chat report feature do happen. A streamer got one for it, which was pretty public. There was one on the CS forums the other day too. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20765226379#post-1

[quote]Yes we abused the report system and we got rightfully temp banned for it,

Eyup. While the CS agents have always said false reporting was actionable, I noticed they specifically added it to the Code of Conduct recently:

"While we encourage you to report players that are behaving in a disrespectful manner, falsely reporting another player with the sole intent of restricting their gameplay is also unacceptable and will result in penalties to your account."

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/42673

So, they're making a very clear statement here. Don't lodge false reports.
08/24/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Meiradt
08/23/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Willkiller

False.

That is merely victim blaming and trying to pass off the responsibility to others to not react to the rule breaking rather than the rule breakers having the responsibility to not break the rules.

It really reminds me of "affluenza" and the infamous "she was asking for it by the way she was dressed" arguments.

Specious insulting arguments to avoid responsibilities and consequences for their actions.

False

Nope, not false.

You see, my limited ignore slots in a game where millions play are saved for people that troll in instances by deliberately wiping the group. It is far more important that I never group with them again than the fool running their mouth in chat.

There is also the lovely feature where reporting the chat rule breakers puts them on a temporary ignore list without using a slot, thus I get the same effect as if I ignored them by using a slot and Blizzard gets to decide if the reported rule breakers pushed the envelope too far.

I see a lot of posts wanting to know right where the edge of the cliff is so they can stand with their feet 3/4 over the edge, Blizzard won't do that, they are saying "Here is the warning, stay away from the cliff, if you choose to go near the cliff and end up falling, that is on you.".
08/23/2018 03:56 PMPosted by Lokubi
Huh. I've never been silenced. Neither have my friends. We chat all the time in dungeons and general. Maybe...maybe its YOU.

^

Only person I know in game who has been silenced honestly deserves it
08/23/2018 03:50 PMPosted by Fherra
08/23/2018 03:46 PMPosted by Kaiyeri
It does fit the crime. Don't do dumb stuff, you won't get put in the corner.

If you could talk across Bnet, there would be zero punishment.

Parents put kids in the corner when they break the rules. They're not allowed to talk to anyone.

You got put in the corner.

Learn your lesson.

I just wish you also couldn't post on the forums when you get silenced in game.

Except we aren't kids playing Roblox.

We're adults playing a game made for, by a large margin, adults.

If you think it's ok to be "put in the corner like your parents do as a kid" for swearing, then quite frankly, I don't have anything else to say to you.

If you want to be treated like a child in Sunday school, then that's on you. That should not be the norm for everyone else. Especially in a game rated T. Because people ARE, whether you like it or not, getting silenced for PG13 language.

If you feel that you’re entitled to break rules that everyone else must follow then frankly, you’re not worth the time to chat.

Seems as if you and the OP want special privilege to break the rules because you don’t agree with them.

B.1) Creating a negative relationship with a CUSTOMER - loses their business

D) Silence/Ban threats with no 100% clear rules create an atmosphere of fear and apprehension where people are afraid to be themselves.

In response to point B1, Blizzard has apparently found that allowing chat rule breakers creates many more negative customer experiences than the ones chat rule breakers bring on themselves.

In response to point D, Blizzard says "The cliff is to the north, don't go north" why do you need to know if the cliff is 100 feet north or 100 yards north? Just don't go north, if you do go north and fall off the cliff, that is on no one else but you.
08/24/2018 07:00 AMPosted by Krypollo
08/24/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Mirasol
So let me break this down. You are saying that all liberals are commies? Reality - are there any actual commies in the US? Or are there just a handful of people who think they are cool because they read some books about it? Hmmmm Have you ever met an actual communist or do you just throw out that kind of argument online? Do you feel that every single person who knows how to behave in public and use manners is a liberal?

You are saying you are not a liberal, therefore you are conservative. The party of family values. The party of the religious evangelicals. You identify with them, yet advocate a safe space for you to be verbally rude and profane?

I think you are picking the wrong party to identify with if you think conservatives advocate for the kind of behavior you seem to support.

The only people having meltdowns are the people coming here to whine that WoW is not their safe place to be a jerk and they have to follow basic social rules in public chat. People reporting you means they don't want to put up with you.

Pretty sure there is a safe space over on 4chan though or you can make your own private chat channel with friends in WoW.
There are actual commies they are in the media, education system, and entertainment industry. If you don't see that then you are blind as a bat. Modern liberalism is basically communism, marxism, fascism. These are all forms of left wing ideology. None of them have anything at all to do with being on the right.

There are indeed actual communists who belong to an actual Communist Party. There's a few thousand of them. The rest is in your wet dreams.

The idea that liberalism = communism = Marxism = fascism... Gee, did you forget the 'etc'? Whatever happened to education in this country that someone could arrive at adulthood with so little awareness?
08/24/2018 05:24 AMPosted by Mirasol
Pretty sure there is a safe space over on 4chan

Having browsed 4chan in the past, that's no safety net. If anything they'll get people slinging even worse mud back at them until an admin gets annoyed and just locks the thread.
08/24/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Mirasol
Yes, suspensions for abuse of the chat report feature do happen. A streamer got one for it, which was pretty public. There was one on the CS forums the other day too.

Yet nothing happens to the people that actually do abuse it because they can simply state "these words are words i found abusive and offensive to me because i said so", in the past few years people have been seen taking things that are normally harmless and blowing it out of proportion and making it seem like a big deal.

For instance say person A said "I hate turtles" which in fact is an opinion stated by person A while person B can take it far out of proportion and find it abusive and offensive when in reality it is not, these are the kind of people that will get away with report system abuse because Blizzard can NOT tell people how to feel about it. They can NOT punish someone for finding something like that abusive and offensive towards them.

If Blizzard punished someone for feeling one way then the company themselves is abusing their own customer base all because they felt 3 simple undirected words were abusive and offensive to them.

Edit: That to me is bad business. In my example I was silenced twice, once for defending Blizzard during pre-patch when someone was literally talking crap about them because they 'refuse' to fix '1-100' leveling at the time because despite blizzard acknowledging there was a bug with the scaling, did nothing because alt-leveling wasn't a priority when the expansion release was 2 weeks away and pre-patch + preparing the servers for expansion launch was more important. This silence was a bit justified.

The other silence was me talking crap about AoTC, unnecessary ilevel requirements and raider io the current infamous scoring system. AoTC was purchasable, having AoTC proved no ones skill due to the fact that it can be simply bought at the time for 100k gold. Having 50 to 100 more ilevel that the content the person was doing is unncessary and its just a single person looking to be carried because they themselves lack said ilevel. Raider io in itself is abusive because in the first day of the mythic + rotation the first 100 people on a server can simply have a good time and get scored based on day one alone. This silence was unjustified because it wasn't remotely harmful or breaking ToS.

Do you want to know what happened with both? The first one was a first time offense so 24 hours. The second time? Nah wasn't even remotely doubled, it should have been a 48 hour silence instead it was a 72 hour silence. That right there proved to me there is two flaws in the auto-silence system, one people find everything regardless of what it is, opinion or fact to be abusive or offensive to them, and two the auto-silence system isn't a double up of each offensive, its a random chance that it'll be tripled or more.
08/24/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Saarthronah
08/24/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Mirasol
Yes, suspensions for abuse of the chat report feature do happen. A streamer got one for it, which was pretty public. There was one on the CS forums the other day too.

Yet nothing happens to the people that actually do abuse it because they can simply state "these words are words i found abusive and offensive to me because i said so", in the past few years people have been seen taking things that are normally harmless and blowing it out of proportion and making it seem like a big deal.

For instance say person A said "I hate turtles" which in fact is an opinion stated by person A while person B can take it far out of proportion and find it abusive and offensive when in reality it is not, these are the kind of people that will get away with report system abuse because Blizzard can NOT tell people how to feel about it. They can NOT punish someone for finding something like that abusive and offensive towards them.

If Blizzard punished someone for feeling one way then the company themselves is abusing their own customer base all because they felt 3 simple undirected words were abusive and offensive to them.

Except it is Blizzard that determines what is offensive or objectionable language within the game rules, not the reporting player.

Player B can certainly report Player A for saying "I hate turtles" but that doesn't mean such a report rises to the level of something objectionable according to Blizzard's guidelines. Player A doesn't get sanctioned just because Player B says they should. Blizzard makes that call.
08/24/2018 07:00 AMPosted by Krypollo
There are actual commies they are in the media, education system, and entertainment industry. If you don't see that then you are blind as a bat. Modern liberalism is basically communism, marxism, fascism. These are all forms of left wing ideology. None of them have anything at all to do with being on the right.

Welcome back Mr. McCarthy.

08/24/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Hùmpty
B) Punishments create disdain/contempt. (Everyone hates their boss.)

You agreed to not use profanity or you would run the risk of being punished when you installed the game and many times since then depending on how long you've been playing. This isn't some surprise that they just sprung on us.

08/24/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Meiradt
False

You can't just keep saying "false" every time someone says something you don't like. All it does is show beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have nothing at all to back up your side of the argument.
A SQUELCH: This is an automated temporary silence that is triggered by multiple people (10+) reporting the player. This occurs so that your mouth is shut and you don't spew any more filth while the GM checks out your chat logs.

A SILENCE: This may occur after the squelch. If the GM decides that you're ban-worthy, then the squelch will be removed and replaced with a silence. This is MANUALLY PERFORMED and not, in any way, automated.

To anyone who says "b-b-but Nightwoods there's no difference!", you need more educating. A squelch usually lasts no more than a few hours before a GM reaches your report. It is not applied to your record if you're let go without punishment, and the silence time is not increased. Now, a SILENCE is more severe - it is applied to your ban record, and the time also multiplies (the first silence is 1 day, the next is 2, the next is 4, the next is 8, next is 16, keep goin).

Sigh, but the masses complaining will drown out any logic and actual fact.
This post has been locked as it's been reported for trolling. While we do welcome constructive feedback on the silence system, we do not welcome talk of circumventing a forum suspension. This post also continues to entice a flame war between other posters. If you have a suggestion you believe will work, please share this by submitting feedback via the in-game menu.