Upgrade From a 980ti

Games, Gaming and Hardware
So I've got a 6600K and an MSI 980ti Gaming 6G. Right now my settings are almost maxed out and I get 60+ FPS typically in BFA zones and dungeons on my Samsung CHG70.

I am looking at selling the 980ti and upgrading to something that can max out settings and has DP 1.4. There are some good sub-$500 1070 ti and 1080 deals out there so I'm wondering if it's worth spending the difference in cost on one of these?

I feel like my card is not up to speed with the monitor I have.

Thanks!
Like for WoW or other games?
I'm mainly playing WoW exclusively.
I think 980ti should be able to handle 1440p and I don't think you'll gain much benefit in wow by upgrading your gpu
980TI is equivalent to a 1070. Wont see a much or any improvement at all really.
Well I'm talking 1070 ti or 1080. I feel like I can't take advantage of my montior since the 980ti only has DP 1.2.
08/24/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Aegor
Well I'm talking 1070 ti or 1080. I feel like I can't take advantage of my montior since the 980ti only has DP 1.2.
You have a Freesync monitor, so you won't be able to take full advantage of it even with a new Nvidia GPU.
Why not just use your 980TIs HDMI 2.0 spot?
I'd wait on the 1K series dropping in price with Turing around the corner. Overall the 980 TI is going to get you good performance unless you upgrade to a Radeon or Turing on DX12.
WoW is more CPU dependant than GPU dependant. A GTX 1060 6gb or a RX 580 GPU will max out WoW easily even for 1440p and as stated before your GTX 980 TI is basically as good as a GTX 1070. With WoW specifically you will see ZERO difference in FPS because it is still your CPU that is the limiter.

Looks like you have a good CPU too as you can overclock it. It may be a few generations old Skylake but so far the IPC from that to kabylake/coffeelake is identical so when clocked at the same speed per core performance will be exactly the same. If you have a nice OC of 4.5 to 4.7GHZ on it then you are golden. Though iirc skylake was not guaranteed to hit 5ghz and often capped out at 4.6 or 4.7.

Also the performance you stated to get is actually really good performance as far as WoW is concerned so I really don't think you have anything going wrong as you are now.
08/24/2018 12:16 PMPosted by Amkypoo
Why not just use your 980TIs HDMI 2.0 spot?

I do, it just caps at 60fps if I use 12bpc. Only other option is 8bpc. That's the main dilemma: If I upgrade to a card with DP 1.4 would I be able to actually see higher FPS with the same range and amount of colors? I'd like to actually utilize the higher FPS I get in the world instead of just 60.
I honestly have never tinkered around with the colors do I dont know much about their FPS caps.

I will say that having a high response time and 144hz monitor is some of the smoothest and most rewarding gameplay I have had.

After reading this post. I actually remembered I was using a DP 1.2 cord and locked at 100Hz. Replaced it with HDMI 2.0 to achieve 144Hz and even the comparison of 100Hz vs 144Hz is crazy different.

I would say drop the color settings and go for high refresh rate gameplay.
08/27/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Amkypoo
I honestly have never tinkered around with the colors do I dont know much about their FPS caps.

I will say that having a high response time and 144hz monitor is some of the smoothest and most rewarding gameplay I have had.

After reading this post. I actually remembered I was using a DP 1.2 cord and locked at 100Hz. Replaced it with HDMI 2.0 to achieve 144Hz and even the comparison of 100Hz vs 144Hz is crazy different.

I would say drop the color settings and go for high refresh rate gameplay.

I will try it out again tonight and see how much difference there is in color depth. It just kinda sucks since it feels like you have to give up one thing for the other.

Thank you to everyone for the replies and help.
08/27/2018 05:28 AMPosted by Aegor
I do, it just caps at 60fps if I use 12bpc. Only other option is 8bpc. That's the main dilemma: If I upgrade to a card with DP 1.4 would I be able to actually see higher FPS with the same range and amount of colors? I'd like to actually utilize the higher FPS I get in the world instead of just 60.

There are a few things and potential issues here, so I'm going to point them out in no particular order.

1. Your panel is 8bit+FRC, which means I wouldn't get overly concerned about trying to get a 12bpc output. Basically, your panel is faking it so don't worry.
2. If you want color accuracy, aim for 4:4:4 whatever rather than a subsampled (4:4:2, etc) setting just for the sake of using 10 or 12 bits.
3. If you really want to get your PC running with a color space other than sRGB, you need go through some extra steps first. For example, download the chosen color profile, enable it, and relog. Make sure your monitor is calibrated and set to use that same color space (even nice wide gamut displays often come with sRGB-based settings enabled by default). Then you have to make sure the content you're viewing is actually providing an image in the color space that you just configured.
4. The reason that's important is nearly everything you do on a PC is gong to be using the sRGB color space (games, online, pictures, movies, etc). If you're whole setup is geared towards something else, like AdobeRGB, you'll get an inaccurate display picture. The funny thing about that is it results in colors that seem to "pop" more, or look more saturated, which people just assume is a good thing that indicates the wider gamut is working; in reality, they're just looking at messed up and incorrect colors.
4. I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't actually output anything "better" than sRGB, and that generally goes for other games as well. We're starting to see more stuff handle HDR, but HDR is not actually the same thing as color depth or color spaces. This topic is a whole mess of discussion points, though.
5. To "solve" your current issue without upgrading your card, you might just want to drop your settings down to 10-bit. As I mentioned before, your panel is using FRC on top of 8 bit so it's not like you are ever going to get a natural 12-bit experience, and you can possibly cause issues like color banding by going *too high* with the bit-depth, depending on the source media.
6. If your refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz over HDMI, you might need to make an adjustment in either the monitor OSD, or in Windows (check supported modes in your display settings), or both. HDMI 2 will support your resolution up to about 100 fps, but there are different settings that need to be synced up (mentioned above) in order for it to work.
7. In particular, check your monitor OSD to see what options you have -- HDMI 2 doesn't support variable refresh rates (and your GPU doesn't support FreeSync), so you might need to manually set the refresh rate to something like 120Hz if it's available. If you find that you can only select something like 60 or 120, then it's possible you'll be locked into 60 since I don't think you'll be able to do over 100 with that setup.

Anyway, getting a newer GPU will obviously open more options for you, but I don't believe taking advantage of those options is always as needed as people assume. In particular, working outside of a normal sRGB color space on a PC comes with a bunch of caveats, so be aware.
08/27/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Keleste
08/27/2018 05:28 AMPosted by Aegor

There are a few things and potential issues here, so I'm going to point them out in no particular order.

1. Your panel is 8bit+FRC, which means I wouldn't get overly concerned about trying to get a 12bpc output. Basically, your panel is faking it so don't worry.
2. If you want color accuracy, aim for 4:4:4 whatever rather than a subsampled (4:4:2, etc) setting just for the sake of using 10 or 12 bits.
3. If you really want to get your PC running with a color space other than sRGB, you need go through some extra steps first. For example, download the chosen color profile, enable it, and relog. Make sure your monitor is calibrated and set to use that same color space (even nice wide gamut displays often come with sRGB-based settings enabled by default). Then you have to make sure the content you're viewing is actually providing an image in the color space that you just configured.
4. The reason that's important is nearly everything you do on a PC is gong to be using the sRGB color space (games, online, pictures, movies, etc). If you're whole setup is geared towards something else, like AdobeRGB, you'll get an inaccurate display picture. The funny thing about that is it results in colors that seem to "pop" more, or look more saturated, which people just assume is a good thing that indicates the wider gamut is working; in reality, they're just looking at messed up and incorrect colors.
4. I'm pretty sure WoW doesn't actually output anything "better" than sRGB, and that generally goes for other games as well. We're starting to see more stuff handle HDR, but HDR is not actually the same thing as color depth or color spaces. This topic is a whole mess of discussion points, though.
5. To "solve" your current issue without upgrading your card, you might just want to drop your settings down to 10-bit. As I mentioned before, your panel is using FRC on top of 8 bit so it's not like you are ever going to get a natural 12-bit experience, and you can possibly cause issues like color banding by going *too high* with the bit-depth, depending on the source media.
6. If your refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz over HDMI, you might need to make an adjustment in either the monitor OSD, or in Windows (check supported modes in your display settings), or both. HDMI 2 will support your resolution up to about 100 fps, but there are different settings that need to be synced up (mentioned above) in order for it to work.
7. In particular, check your monitor OSD to see what options you have -- HDMI 2 doesn't support variable refresh rates (and your GPU doesn't support FreeSync), so you might need to manually set the refresh rate to something like 120Hz if it's available. If you find that you can only select something like 60 or 120, then it's possible you'll be locked into 60 since I don't think you'll be able to do over 100 with that setup.

Anyway, getting a newer GPU will obviously open more options for you, but I don't believe taking advantage of those options is always as needed as people assume. In particular, working outside of a normal sRGB color space on a PC comes with a bunch of caveats, so be aware.

Thank you for such a comprehensive post. I changed my settings to 144hz, 4:4:4, output range is limited and 8bpc. That’s through HDMI. This looks pretty sweet and the high FPS is amazing. I’m not that familiar with these things so I was worried I was really missing out with these types of settings. The forums really stepped up so thank you all.