Best tanks for mythics atm?

General Discussion
Just curious. My gaurdian druid feels pretty strong atm
There aren't any "bad" tanks atm.
Monks / Death Knights makes the best right now.
Demon Hunter / Druid are great.
Paladin: It's good but nothing exceptional
Warrior: Good old last
The one that signs up, isn't a moron, knows how to keep aoe threat, pulls at a reasonable pace, familiar with the fights or able to learn and adjust quickly. High ilvl doesn't hurt either.

More seriously, been running with a bear that was a little rocky initially but has been better and better as gear drops. DH doesn't seem too bad either. Really just depends on the gear and skill levels of who's playing it.
08/22/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Akasia

As a healer main I kinda second this. I would swap Death Knights with Demon Hunters. Otherwise this 100%.

Eh, I disagree. I've been healing Mythics and as for me I like:
Paladin / Warrior
Druid / Demon Hunter
Death Knight
Monk

Maybe I just get bad Monk tanks, but I find they require the *most* healing. Paladins I love for the ability to interrupt so much which prevents a lot of damage, and Warriors with their AOE stuns.

Death Knights, while they self heal a lot, seem squishy like Monks. Lot of up and down health bars.

Druid/Demon Hunter are pretty easy to heal
08/22/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Xiata

Paladin / Warrior
Druid / Demon Hunter
Death Knight
Monk

Maybe I just get bad Monk tanks, but I find they require the *most* healing. Paladins I love for the ability to interrupt so much which prevents a lot of damage, and Warriors with their AOE stuns.

Death Knights, while they self heal a lot, seem squishy like Monks. Lot of up and down health bars.

On my monk I tanked every Mythics. Suray, and no problem at all all runs were smooth. You probably had very bad Monks tank yes. It's a class that ask to be more methodical then the others for sure. But all my healers loved me and I even made a friend. But I decided to pick up my rogue, I love the pirate theme too much and it's so well made right now.

Edit: Forgot to say. Player skills doesn't make it for a class being bad or good. Like I said Paladin is just ok and doesn't require much to be played with in first hand. As for warrior, I cannot really agree with you. But you're allowed to think so, I think you've had met one of those rare warrior tank who didnt had too much trouble managing rage.
From what I've been seeing in dungeons:

DK - S tier. Extremely powerful in every manner, only drawback is a lack of mobility for extensive kiting.

DH/Monk - A tier. Both powerful in their own ways, with both having better mobility, but DH has less kiting capability and more hard-control, while Monk has better kiting ability with less consistent answers to large single-target damage income. DH gains value against pulls with many casters to silence or off-targets that can be feared, while Monk gains value against pulls with excessive damage that are easily kited and/or stunned. Noteworthy that Monk is one of two tanks that can dispel without a massive hit to survival.

Guardian - B tier. Strong survivability in general, but lacks damage output of both higher tanks. Has a lower ability to kite, as well. Has very strong utility overall, but lacks in CC. Can dispel, but effectively needs to be out of combat to use, with breaking Bear Form to do so.

Paladin/Warrior - C tier. Warrior's survivability between CD's is stronger than Paladin and arguably Monk, but has weaker CD's to match. Paladin's survivability with CD's is extremely high, but outside of CD's, falls off quickly in extended combat with strong pulls, or when kiting entirely out of Consecration is a must. Warrior has a consistently available short stun, and Paladin is nearly always able to interrupt a priority target, but both lack a bit in the control department (Both being better than Druid in this regard), with both dealing high damage in CD's. Warriors have better mobility and powerful kiting ability, while Paladins have less mobility with a weaker kiting ability. Paladin does have a massive benefit in having the highest utility kit of any tank, though, in addition to being the only tank besides Monk that can dispel during combat without a severe punishment.

_____

For raid, it's not out yet and I haven't done much research, but this is about where I'd place tanks. They're situational generally, but some do basic tasks much better than others.

TL;DR: DK strongest, but they're all playable until extremely high-end content.
Death Knights are the best tanks. For everything. Ever. All the time.

Paladin / Warrior
Druid / Demon Hunter
Death Knight
Monk

Monks DO require the most healing. But they also have the smoothest damage reduction and aren't as spiky as the self sufficient tanks.
For regular mythics every tank is easily viable and will likely remain so up to the weekly mythic plus cap its only when one starts pushing beyond that some tanks may fall short.

Paladin / Warrior
Druid / Demon Hunter
Death Knight
Monk

I find monks are most likely to not know how their mitigation actually works

I.e. people not keeping 100% ironskin uptime, or not managing brews well enough to purify spiky damage
Warrior is really good if you dont screw up the extremely clunky roto. But if you do you will be mercilessly punished.
08/22/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Foolycooly
Warrior is really good if you dont screw up the extremely clunky roto. But if you do you will be mercilessly punished.

And so will your healer.
As for the Monk discussion above, the Monk friend I've been running with since launch has basically no problems at all with mythics now that we've both geared a bit.

Yes, Monks require fairly constant healing - but as a Resto Druid, for all but the largest accidental trash pulls or the most punishing boss mechanics I can just put a few HoTs on the Monk and forget about him until they fall off. They're the least spiky tanks out there.