Is there any reason I should roll shaman?

Shaman
This forum makes it seem like there is no reason to play a shaman right now.

Im looking for a somewhat durable ranged DPS class. I dont do well with flimsy classes, but Id like to be able to put out adequate DPS from range. Additionally, PVP is the most important aspect of the game to me.

So is an elemental shaman any good in PVP at max level? Doesnt seem like it from what im reading, but im hoping there are shaman players out there with different experiences.
Lesson 1: Every class forum is every class complaining
Example A: Disc priests suck dont nerf! worst class in the game lololol
Example B: Disc priests are so OP most OP class in the game nerf nerf nerf trololollololol
Example C: Death Knight bloods are the worst tank spec in the game sooooo squishy and worst class in the entire game I'm just a troll that is trolololing(even though they are 2nd best self sustain class in BFA and not squishy at all, only after vengeance demon hunters)

Lesson 2: Once learned lesson 1...you will realize that its actually better to ask in game chat with people who actually like the game and don't complain all the time, and give far better legit information. As seen by blood death knights saying they are the worst class /tank in the game, which is highly laughable.

Now onto the thread itself

Shaman enhancement has a bit of self healing. And through azerite traits, you can get shields which greatly help self sustain along with additional healing abilities.

Personally though, I think shaman restoration survives A LOT easier than enhancement. And still kill stuff really fast and I also personally prefer healing in groups anyway. A lot of healing spells, still get earth element for tank and in general a ton more self-sustain than enhancement.

While leveling past 100 on my shaman...my enhancement spec was healing far more than my restoration spec had to, and fights were a lot more "anxious" in that too many mobs and it got kinda iffy. I do find enhancement a bit more fun, but doesn't make up the lower self sustain resto gets and still kills fast. Where as, my restoration shaman gets a ton of mobs together and takes them all down and never worries about healing, through the earth shield+some DoT healing and I'm almost always full health.

Now my shaman isn't past 110 yet but is 100+, tbh I forgot my shaman existed since didn't main one in legion and its not on a server I play on so gotta server transfer. But my resto shaman still hasn't had any issues at all in any of the broken shores areas. And with the azerite traits providing built-in shields and other traits, I imagine its even better.
08/23/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Donk

This happens EVERY expansion to every class except the classes that were lucky and are over-powered (and will most likely see a nerf).

Usually, players are just coming off from over-geared playstyles from the previous expansion and they feel weaker in leveling/questing gear, so many cry that their class is broken.
Shaman is the worst PVP class in the game atm
While everyone is complaining about classes, some of which is understandable..

It doesn't change that the Shaman has a lot wrong with it right now compared to other classes. So, if only by comparison, I'd encourage you not to make a Shaman at all.
08/23/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Sylandras
its actually better to ask in game chat with people who actually like the game and don't complain all the time, and give far better legit information.

lol
absolutely not.

the vast majority of players in this game are clueless beyond what icy veins tells them, if they even read that.

the forums manage to distill that information at least slightly, even if they are terrible.
Elemental Shaman is incredibly boring. I have no idea why anyone would like to play that !@#$.

Enhance is fun but I really dislike the RNG aspect of the class. One fight you're way ahead of everyone in DPS ... next one, you get no procs whatsoever and the tank outdamages you.

Resto Shaman is decent and quite fun to play actually.

If you want to play PVP, forget about Shamans.
I want to like elemental because I love the class fantasy of the elements, especially storms.

I hated it, so went enhancement instead to try it. I love it. If anything, enhancement is more lightning and thunder than elemental.

Leveled exclusively in war mode, which greatly helped my pvp 1v1 and escape skills. It may be because I've been going ham and outgear most people world questing, but I only have trouble with disc priests and really good rogues now.

I've also tested different builds a lot and it seems to really depend on what gear you have. There are several that are surprisingly effective.

Have not done much bgs or any arena skirms, can't speak to that, but world pvp feels good now.

For pve, I typically hit around 9-13k dps in mythics depending on talent setup and trash vs bosses.

I'm sticking with it and am hoping for viability in pvp, or changes by 8.1, but I'm not holding my breath. Shaman really are historically neglected, and Devs have been careful to be vague about shaman and shadow priest changes.

If you read blue statements carefully, they have promised nothing, and today's ama answered nothing about shaman.
IDK about Elemental, but Enhancement is like...absurdly fun.

I'm actually grappling with the decision to switch mains again, because DH isn't going to be fun until i get gear, but i'm having fun just leveling my shaman.
Sadly, there is no reason to play elemental shaman. If you are looking for a ranged class that might win a 1v1 (though it probably won't) while also covering the distance between Stormwind and Booty Bay then Ele might be your spec. If not, roll any other ranged class.

That said, enh is quite fun and seems to be doing good in PVP aka I'm doing great in PVP.
ele is boring as !@#$. I just main a hunter survival of course cause the other 2 specs are boring as %^-* and mm is complete utter garbage.
If you check the other class forums or other sections in general I think you'll find most posts being straight QQ. It's been like that for 14 years.
Enhance is absurdly fun. Have never felt better about it. WPvP is a delight, you basically own non-rogues. Haven’t done much instanced PvP so far.

Resto is somewhat fun but it’s been the same ever since MoP. Could really use a change. Not to mention it’s weaker than other healers imo, but totally acceptable, not garbage at all. PvP feels decent.

Ele is trash right now. Not fun, not good, not even decent for solo content tbh and definitely not something you’d like to play PvP on. Seriously hoping 8.1 brings it back to its feet.
08/23/2018 04:16 PMPosted by Donk

Im looking for a somewhat durable ranged DPS class. I dont do well with flimsy classes, but Id like to be able to put out adequate DPS from range. Additionally, PVP is the most important aspect of the game to me.

So is an elemental shaman any good in PVP at max level? Doesnt seem like it from what im reading, but im hoping there are shaman players out there with different experiences.

When people complain about ele being bad, look at their armory and see how long they have been around.

For those of us who played ele in previous expansions, the current state of the spec is objectively worse than it was in the past.

I played ele in Wrath and it was probably the best pvp experience I have had.

Ultimately, you'd have to play the spec to see what it's like. You can have great games where you free fire the entire match and other games where you're melee fodder.

Knowing this, I will say that my previous experiences with ele shaman in pvp were much more impactful and fun than my current experience in BfA.
I play enhancement, and im loving it. As far as ranged dps goes, i hear ele is clunky but havent tried it this expansion. But, i do wish when i get eye of the storm that i geared elemental... lol.
At this point I wonder why they dont just make Elemental a pet class.

They're already fine for group pve content, they just lack any sort of survivability for pvp or soloing. A nice persistent earth elemental would solve their soloing issue, and maybe a nice water/healing pet for pvp.
Then you could run persistent lightning/fire elementals for aoe or singletarget DPS in whatever content that suits you.

At this point I've leveled in BFA with Warlock, Mage, Priest(questing as holy even), now Im trying it as Ele, probably the only caster I wont level with is Boomie. Point being; casters usually have the most trouble outside of group content, and out of all of those casters Ele feels the worst. Questing as holy priest is literally faster and easier than elemental shaman.
08/23/2018 06:54 PMPosted by Memed
Shaman is the worst PVP class in the game atm

false, i've pulled off multiple 1v3s in bgs and while questing as enh
08/24/2018 01:49 AMPosted by Miscast
At this point I wonder why they dont just make Elemental a pet class.

Please, as kindly as I can say this, take this suggestion with you on your way out and never bring it back.
Ignore like 98% of the salty manbabies screeching about the class as a whole. Each spec does have issues(ele the most of all). But every single spec is viable in pretty much every aspect of the game. If you are a hardcore cutting edge raider or pvper you might want to look elsewhere.
08/24/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Voodooblues
Ignore like 98% of the salty manbabies screeching about the class as a whole. Each spec does have issues(ele the most of all). But every single spec is viable in pretty much every aspect of the game. If you are a hardcore cutting edge raider or pvper you might want to look elsewhere.

No offense, but pvp is a fair portion of the game. Which means that it's not viable in most areas of the game. Not saying shams can't pvp like AT ALL, but they are definitely behind most other classes.