What disappoints you about Shadow?

Priest
Let's compile them here instead of multiple threads about different aspects:
    Mastery - boring (Twist of Fate could go here?)
    Voidform - feels unimpactful now (could add like +20% haste before stacks?)
    Void Eruption - still feels too impactful, which is counter-intuitive to extending VF duration (perhaps separate Void Eruption from Void Bolt button and give it a cooldown? then it could have like triple cooldown recovery speed while VF is active)
    Talents - Shadow Word: Void and Legacy of the Void have too much quality of life to be talents (baseline please?)
    Rotation - SW:D needs to return baseline or talents need to add much more interaction (most are cooldowns or forgettable passives)
    Insanity - backwards design and very controversial
    Devouring Plague - many miss this, should at least be a talent (if theme is preventing that, just rename it Devouring Void or something?)
    Self-sustain - low defense and low mobility, Vampiric Touch heals are not enough (Spectral Guise please?)
    What's our niche? - just council fights? because Affliction and Boomkin can do that and more (Vampiric Embrace is also not enough)
    Aesthetics - Call of the Void (from artifact weapon) and/or other tentacle skills would help sell the class fantasy (also more shadowy and less purple please, at least from a glyph?)
08/20/2018 02:59 AMPosted by Ttylol
Mastery - boring (Twist of Fate could go here?)

Would still be are useless stat

Voidform - feels unimpactful now (could add like +20% haste before stacks?)

Would just make instances outside of Void Form Weaker reverting back to the original problem.

Void Eruption - still feels too impactful, which is counter-intuitive to extending VF duration (perhaps separate Void Eruption from Void Bolt button and give it a cooldown? then it could have like triple cooldown recovery speed while VF is active)

The only reason its so impactful is because it has to be otherwise you have weak AoE, welcome to a flawed design from the ground up.

Talents - Shadow Word: Void and Legacy of the Void have too much quality of life to be talents (baseline please?)

While that is true about shadow word: Void, LoTV kinda has to exist as a talent to contrast DA.
I feel like the whole insanity mechanic is just logically backwards. We shouldn't want to hit 100% insanity... We should want to try to stay right on the edge at all times (number-wise, maintain 99.9%). Going completely insane should be a bad thing.

I think all skills should generate insanity (like they do now), but they should all be on super short casts, or instant. This will give nice burst potential, but at the risk of hitting 100% insanity very quickly, and maybe "burning out" and being consumed by the void for a bit. Mastery could then reduce the amount of insanity generated by skills (instead of the boring damage increase). I would then repurpose Dispersion to be our maintenance tool that reduces insanity build-up. We could add talents for Dispersion that increase movement speed, add a self heal, or add damage reduction.

Very much like the cannon heat mechanic from lootship in ICC.

I know a completely class rework is probably out of the question at this point though :P
Allow Void Form to be used at any time.

Have the insanity meter go up while you are in Void Form.

You then need to use your spells to burn off the insanity meter to be able to stay in Void Form longer.

When you hit 100 insanity you get knocked out of Void Form and have to spend time burning off the remaining insanity. Unless you end it early yourself, which will then knock it down to something like 50 insanity.

There. Now you have an interesting and fun rotation, while also being Lore Friendly.
In a nutshell:

Lack of self-sustain.
Lack of interesting mechanics.
Lack of durability.
Lack of mobility.
Overall low damage.
Lack of fun.

I mean, the spec is a train wreck. It literally does nothing right mechanically. The only things that doesn't suck about it:

Um. Xal'atath still whispers you if you transmog your weapon into your Artifact Weapon?
The Animations are nice I guess?
I enjoy the current play style well enough (otherwise I wouldnt have mained it for this expansion).

I actually also feel like our utility is well enough. We are on the weaker side for cc's but with how important they made purges and dispells in 5 mans I feel it makes up for it and fort is a nice perk.

That being said, I would either like SW:V or SW:D to be baseline and our numbers to get an increase. Through most of my heroics/mythics I was keeping up with the group. I pull 7-13k dps depending on the pull which seemed fine.

Then I did a group with a hunter and a warrior. More geared than me at the time but about where my gear is now. The warrior especially pulled numbers I will never sniff at. I think he avearged 16k dps for the run.

I imagine it will be like last time. Blizz will do a balance patch after the first week of uldir or maybe the first week of mythic uldir. I hope they number tune before that but I doubt it.
I'll explain it by gameplay.

I don't have mobility;
I'm not sturdy;
I have no ways of healing myself consistently;
I don't have enough damage to destroy a group of 4 monsters before they kill me.

...How do I avoid death, then? What's my gimmick? Should I be pulling 1 monster per time? If so, why my Voidform deals so much AoE damage?

The design is looking a bit backwards. It's ok if I have disadvantages when I have something to compensate...

...but I'm having difficulties to find my special power. To find the thing that makes the Shadow Priest a formidable foe.

-The Holy Priest? It's a Prime Healing Machine. Ignore him, and the group will never die.
-The Discipline Priest? He will shield his allies, while dealing damage! It's a cool mechanic!
-The Shadow Priest? He's... there, and will deal a "big" load of damage once in a while when the Voidburst happens. Otherwise... he's purple. That's it.

IMO they should buff Shadow Priest's self healing. Make it be really vampiric, similar to a Blood Death Knight, but ranged. Buff the draining spells. And buff the damage too, I'm feeling weak and I just don't know why.
I think for me I just wish there was some form of RNG , I mean I love that my damage is for the most part 100% predictable, but I would like something like shadowy insight to be baseline to give me some kind of interaction. That being said I do not want my damage to be too greatly impacted by RNG I in no way want to become proc based, or a lottery damage class! I just want something to be shiny other than eruption lol.
The lack of survivability and total non-existence of mobility are what ultimately kill it for me. I hate having to spam shield on myself constantly while questing. Also, I hate that I have no tools at all to deal with movement in group content.

Let me Mind Flay while moving - this fixes a couple of problems. Gives me mobility for group content and then actually gives the slow a reason to exist. The slow on Mind Flay makes no sense, since when you cast other spells the mobs attack you. Maybe have the slow last for 5 seconds after the initial hit as another alternative?
Waaaay too squishy!!! Honestly though if they are going to keep shadow this way then they should keep disc the way it is too. Throw us a bone if you're going to make our only dps spec completely useless.
Damage, thats about it but I dont PVP. They just need to do some number tuning. Bring us up a bit, bring some specs down a bit.

I would also enjoy if we had at least one proc baseline because I enjoy pushing flashy buttons.
I leveled as shadow all the way up till 120, then it became very apparent this spec was horrible at world questing.

Super slow single target damage, they are ok at aoe but cant take any hits or kite, so I had to swap to disc to do WQs which is just sad.

I got to 320+ item level then tried Spriest again on a pack of 4 mobs... im sure i could of taken them down if i didnt die in 8 seconds which is the time i need to ramp up my dmg... and about the time it seems to take other dps classes to kill a pack of that size :(.
Problem I've always had with Shadow, (Hence the reason why I went lock).

Shadow has no real "niche", During a Legion Q&A Ion said Spriest aren't supposed to have good AoE as they are made for council style fights. First off, these fights are rare, and we aren't much better than say an affliction lock. Next our AoE is not as good as Ele, Destro, Balance ect.. ST again not as good as most mage or lock specs. Utility? Not anymore, Druid and Lock are way ahead. So what's Shadow's real core contribution? Execute class? If that's it why isn't ToF and SW:D baseline.

My Fix:

Baseline -> SW:D again and bring back Void tendrils, and make it baseline.
Bonus Points for: ToF and Auspicious Spirits. (Everyone is just taking them anyway)
Talent: Add back Cascade or Halo (These looked so cool I just want them back lol)

Make Void Euption become devouring plague. Casting DP on a target makes us insane and is replaced with Void Bolt until we are out of insanity.

Void Bolt now increases DP duration and extends other DoTs.

Why?

SW:D Baseline is a must.
Void Tendrils helps priest get melee off them in PvP and is great utility for PvE.
VE to DP: This removes us as a burst spec and makes us more consistent. Plus the extra healing is really needed.

Now with VB increasing the timer on DP, we have a reason! to stay in Void Form. Void Form doesn't feel useless and pushing those extra few secs on DP would feel great and add some needed skill cap.

Cascade and Halo would replace VE AoE Damage. ( You could still have DP deal AoE damage TBH)
Once void form entered the game, everything changed for shadowpriests. I’m kind of leaning on the side of it being a not good change. Especially since its the core of every argument or displeasure with Spriest like 99% of the time. Whether its VF being too weak, too short, not enough haste, not enough damage, too much burst, not enough burst, too long to ramp up, too long to get to..... ever since it arrived, it is THE subject of all conversations.
08/20/2018 05:29 AMPosted by Fataltragedy
I feel like the whole insanity mechanic is just logically backwards. We shouldn't want to hit 100% insanity... We should want to try to stay right on the edge at all times (number-wise, maintain 99.9%). Going completely insane should be a bad thing.

I think all skills should generate insanity (like they do now), but they should all be on super short casts, or instant. This will give nice burst potential, but at the risk of hitting 100% insanity very quickly, and maybe "burning out" and being consumed by the void for a bit. Mastery could then reduce the amount of insanity generated by skills (instead of the boring damage increase). I would then repurpose Dispersion to be our maintenance tool that reduces insanity build-up. We could add talents for Dispersion that increase movement speed, add a self heal, or add damage reduction.

I know a completely class rework is probably out of the question at this point though :P
I think it would be really cool to have to manage insanity like that.
08/20/2018 11:23 AMPosted by Fowlkor
Once void form entered the game, everything changed for shadowpriests. I’m kind of leaning on the side of it being a not good change. Especially since its the core of every argument or displeasure with Spriest like 99% of the time. Whether its VF being too weak, too short, not enough haste, not enough damage, too much burst, not enough burst, too long to ramp up, too long to get to..... ever since it arrived, it is THE subject of all conversations.

This. Can we just go back to pre-void? Increase the heal return and tankiness that existed back in the WoTLK days (I think but it’s been awhile).

I just came back for the first time in close to 6 years and this spec is just trash and unplayable now. Not sure how blizzard got it this wrong.
leveling my spriest right now.
need a non channeled slow for goodness sake.
give me a chains of ice style ability that slows melee.

give me a void/shadowy escape like holy has.

I want way more apparitions and tentacles, way more tentacles, like !@#$%^ level.
08/20/2018 12:55 PMPosted by Ahnnastasia

I think it would be really cool to have to manage insanity like that.

I like this because it makes a whole bunch more sense. Personally I liked the psychic vampire theme to shadow more than whatever it is supposed to be now.

I also think shadow it too-- flashy. When you look at a lot of prominent shadow priests they work from, well, the shadows, with concealed identities often posing as benevolent priests. Shadow priests should be the ultimate diplomatic spy subtly causing plans to come to fruition. The gameplay would be so much cooler if it reflected that.

Abilities like mind soothe and that old shadow priest stealth spell that left behind a decoy were cool. Shadow Form looking like a purple lightening cloud isn't.
Low DPS
Low survivability
Lack of viable AoE option (Shadow Crash is too weak)
Limited talent choices

I’m kind of over the whole “Voidform” thing too. You’d think with the old gods being involved, we’d not want to be tied to so much void stuff. But I digress.

Like Rumble in League?

That's a really cool idea TBH, only problem I can see is AoE / Cleave. Doesn't this mean we can't apply DoTs to everything? (Since we'd hit 100% really really easy.)

Maybe if we had a way of dumping that insanity? Like Soul shards on Aff. Aka Less Damage if you spam it, but not hitting 100% is better than nothing.