What disappoints you about Shadow?

Priest
You know whats disappointing? Watching other classes in their DPS specs doing significantly more damage than you and taking on more mobs at a time with very little difficulty.

For the few classes that do have issues, they have a second DPS spec to count on while we have... heal specs...

I feel like I'm about to die all the time as Shadow, and I feel like watching paint dry is more exciting than Disc.
08/20/2018 05:29 AMPosted by Fataltragedy
I feel like the whole insanity mechanic is just logically backwards. We shouldn't want to hit 100% insanity... We should want to try to stay right on the edge at all times (number-wise, maintain 99.9%). Going completely insane should be a bad thing.

I think all skills should generate insanity (like they do now), but they should all be on super short casts, or instant. This will give nice burst potential, but at the risk of hitting 100% insanity very quickly, and maybe "burning out" and being consumed by the void for a bit. Mastery could then reduce the amount of insanity generated by skills (instead of the boring damage increase). I would then repurpose Dispersion to be our maintenance tool that reduces insanity build-up. We could add talents for Dispersion that increase movement speed, add a self heal, or add damage reduction.

Very much like the cannon heat mechanic from lootship in ICC.

I know a completely class rework is probably out of the question at this point though :P

This remark is purely conceptual right? Just change your view of your class fantasy, you’re not ‘going completely insane’ you are mastering insanity, or the void more specifically. But such power comes at an overwhelming cost meaning you can only stay inside that realm for short periods. Basically if you stayed in void form for too long Then you’d go insane, and you take time to build up a buffer so that when you enter that realm you can actually utilize it Without going insane. Something like that.
I personally love spriests and I’m seriously leaning towards rolling one I could just do for a tad bit of utility and flexibility. With that said if they’re getting more aoe, coupled with a channel filler that might just be too good to pass up right now.
This priest was my first character in WoW when I started playing the game towards the end of WoTLK. Absolutely disgusted and quite frankly feeling insulted at the state of the spec atm. Things that immediately come to mind:

-Personally, I think insanity should be removed from the game. Not every class needs to be a 4 button builder/spender IMO.

-Voidform in its current state is...something silly? Half the time I feel like I should be getting out of voidform as fast as possible so I can pop it again for the initial burst damage. That is ridiculously stupid. Make the thing a DPS cooldown and call it a day.

-The rotation: this is a big one. This is the only class where I actually get bored/sleepy playing it. I legitimately fell asleep in a dungeon once. The rotation is so dang boring and unintuitive. I can't quite place my finger on exactly why.

-Self-sustain/mobility: remember when we had spectral guise? Decent off-healing? When dispersion wasn't a piece of garbage? Pepperidge farm remembers.

-I'm not sure how it is at 120 but right now my dots feel like they almost aren't even worth casting. Damage on them is super low.

I'm heavily betting on 8.1 to bring back my enjoyment of the class.
Tried to summarize the replies in 1st post, lemme know if I missed any or missed your point. And I really like the "don't overheat" Insanity idea too, it has a lot more room for gameplay. Armchair dev daydreaming:

When you reach 0 Insanity: gain "Order" for 20 seconds, causing you to drain X Insanity per second. When you reach 100 Insanity: Void spells are disabled for 5 seconds but "Order" is transformed into "Chaos" for its remaining duration, causing Mind Blast and fully-channeled Mind Flays to spawn a Void Tendril (like artifact's proc).

Mastery - Void Bolt, Eruption, and Tendrils damage increased by X% per 10 current Insanity
Void Bolt - always usable, adds 20 to 30 Insanity (some variance)
Void Eruption - always usable, adds 5 Insanity per target hit
Mind Blast - spends 50 Insanity, 2 charges
Mind Flay and Sear - spends X Insanity per tick
SW:P & VT - ticks reduce SW: Void cooldown by 1 second
SW: Void - enter Voidform for 10 seconds: gaining "Chaos" and causing Void Tendrils to mimic your Void Bolts and Eruptions. 3min cooldown
08/20/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Nepla
Problem I've always had with Shadow, (Hence the reason why I went lock).

Shadow has no real "niche", During a Legion Q&A Ion said Spriest aren't supposed to have good AoE as they are made for council style fights. First off, these fights are rare, and we aren't much better than say an affliction lock. Next our AoE is not as good as Ele, Destro, Balance ect.. ST again not as good as most mage or lock specs. Utility? Not anymore, Druid and Lock are way ahead. So what's Shadow's real core contribution? Execute class? If that's it why isn't ToF and SW:D baseline.

My Fix:

Baseline -> SW:D again and bring back Void tendrils, and make it baseline.
Bonus Points for: ToF and Auspicious Spirits. (Everyone is just taking them anyway)
Talent: Add back Cascade or Halo (These looked so cool I just want them back lol)

Make Void Euption become devouring plague. Casting DP on a target makes us insane and is replaced with Void Bolt until we are out of insanity.

Void Bolt now increases DP duration and extends other DoTs.

Why?

SW:D Baseline is a must.
Void Tendrils helps priest get melee off them in PvP and is great utility for PvE.
VE to DP: This removes us as a burst spec and makes us more consistent. Plus the extra healing is really needed.

Now with VB increasing the timer on DP, we have a reason! to stay in Void Form. Void Form doesn't feel useless and pushing those extra few secs on DP would feel great and add some needed skill cap.

Cascade and Halo would replace VE AoE Damage. ( You could still have DP deal AoE damage TBH)

I AM SO DOWN FOR DEVOURING PLAGUE AND CASCADE !@#$ YES PLEASE.

I made a Forsaken Spriest specifically for Devouring Plague, and now it's just gone. Also, Cascade will always be one of the most satisfying spells to have graced our spell book/talent tree.

REAL TALK: Turn us back into legitimate mind/void vampires. Make our niche the old days of fear, mind control, and passive Vampiric Embrace that healed the whole damn raid. It would make up for our lack of direct utility, and it opens up tons of options for more interesting spell or mastery interactions.

Our mastery could be the tentacles, actually. Where increased mastery means more tentacles (higher proc rate, more damage, increased leech, whatever). Then Void Form could see us trade the passive heal for increased damage or something. Like entering VF, we lose VE, but gain massive damage. That way we're extremely useful for our constant pressure heals out of VF, and useful for our high damage IN VF. Plus we'd have tentacles. Everywhere. Just everywhere.

Edit: I'm also 100% okay with trading VF for DP in some kind of unique spender way, where we build tons of insanity and pour it into this massive DoT. Maybe instead of aiming for huge VF like Legion, or dipping in and out of VF like current Spriest, it could be about snowballing.

Something like this!

Build insanity to spend on Devouring Plague (Either fixed resource cost, or a more flexible threshold system similar to Rip or Envenom)
Instead of trying to desperately maintain VF, the goal would be to add rolling stacks to DP, have a set number of DP stacks available (5-6 available at any given time provided we can generate the insanity)

This way we'd have a good reason to generate tons of insanity, and we could choose how the damage is used. All 5 stacks on one target for massive focus damage, 2-3 stacks per target for cleave or council fights, and 1 stack per target for 4+ mobs. We'd be in control of where the damage goes, because it's a DoT, after the first application we wouldn't be losing DPS when we're not actively spending insanity, and trying to maintain our stacks would give us that frantic feeling of trying to spin all our plates for max damage.
I feel like the whole insanity mechanic is just logically backwards. We shouldn't want to hit 100% insanity... We should want to try to stay right on the edge at all times (number-wise, maintain 99.9%). Going completely insane should be a bad thing.

I think all skills should generate insanity (like they do now), but they should all be on super short casts, or instant. This will give nice burst potential, but at the risk of hitting 100% insanity very quickly, and maybe "burning out" and being consumed by the void for a bit. Mastery could then reduce the amount of insanity generated by skills (instead of the boring damage increase). I would then repurpose Dispersion to be our maintenance tool that reduces insanity build-up. We could add talents for Dispersion that increase movement speed, add a self heal, or add damage reduction.

Very much like the cannon heat mechanic from lootship in ICC.

I know a completely class rework is probably out of the question at this point though :P

Sure, let's make our class even more of a dumpster fire by putting more stress on the mechanics. Shadow is in very bad shape right now and I just gave up on mine. The lack of haste is so bad right now and getting killed by 2-3 mobs like nothing is a joke. I'm pretty much a fresh 120 where other INSTANT ABILITY FACE ROLL classes leveled day one or day two.

I can't even stomach fighting solo any longer.. Trash mobs wreck me. Why do we have heal on a 2 min cd, 4 total shadow mends that heal for jack !@#$, and shield spam which kills our dps? Locks don't have bs like this AND they have a pet too. Just get rid of Mind Control if it causes this much trouble balancing our defense and healing.

Or better yet, make Mind Control actually good and give you a pet that can be controlled and fights with you until you break the spell. It could have hunter pet stats for all I care as long as it tanks.
I just hate void form
I don't understand why mind control can't be some form of a passive.
Enemy mob takes enough shadow damage they lose their mind and just start attacking anything else within x yards,, or pullse aoe shadow damage.

I think if they traded up void form to be able to do 3-5 big hitting abilities and your out it might be ok. You can save it for a boss, the next mob pack or kill in pvp.

And take the cast time off void eruption!

I feel like there are a many cool things they coud do thematically with the spec but just dont. >:/
Weak dots, long cast time on VoiET seems like an eternity, too much Flaaaaaay
rotations impossibly hard to maximize. so many skills become avalible but u click something else cuz we arent robots and dont have nano second reaction times to things that abstract.