BFA: The No Effort Filler Expac

General Discussion
08/31/2018 12:13 PMPosted by Andrin
Its like the Op didn't even bother to play through drustvar that zone definitely took effort

I did love Drustvar. I also did say several times:

08/31/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Barrison
I almost wonder if the only folks who put any effort into it was the art, music, cinematic and story team

08/31/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Barrison
The art team, music team and perpherials team (story & cinamatics) worked their asses off... no complaints there... but as far as core systems, that team just took Wod/Legion systems, made them simpler and called it a day.

You can tell the art/story/music/cinamatics teams worked their asses off... and Drustvar is proof. My criticism falls on the shoulders of the design/systems teams that essentially seemed to have taken this Expac off.
08/31/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Barrison
1.) Garrisons were actually 100% fresh and came from a place of innovation that's worth applauding even if the result was very hit or miss.
2.) The story - time travel had never been explored before. It was an out-of-the-box method to attempt to capture some of the old Warcraft 1-2 Nostalgia.
3.) Fill the Bar quests.
4.) Zoning/Scaling/Mob Tagging changes.
5.) Ashran.

I knew you people were out there, biding your time, waiting for a chance to pounce. The lunatics who actually liked WoD would try to peddle your insanity while everyone is caught up being angry at something else.

Garrisons were half done and abandoned, time-travel is the worst especially when it isn't simply for reference and we have to suffer an entire expansion in it, and there is a good reason we call it trashcan.
08/31/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Adamology
Why are people trying to do any meaningful comparisons to full expansions when this one is a few weeks old? The vast majority of endgame content hasn't been released yet.
Probably cause this xpac has lots holes in it. BIG FREAKING HOLES!

Where's the content?

We got Warfronts and Raids coming. Big freaking deal!
I did love Drustvar. I also did say several times:

I almost wonder if the only folks who put any effort into it was the art, music, cinematic and story team

Then whats the deal with your title? how can you say its a no effort expansion and then turn around and say some effort was put into it? lol
08/31/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Raij
It's the Great Value Legion expansion experience.

Now that made me laugh. Hilarious! Good one.
08/31/2018 12:27 PMPosted by Andrin
Then whats the deal with your title? how can you say its a no effort expansion and then turn around and say some effort was put into it? lol

Dude, it's a clickbait title. If you don't have a clickbait title, you got 4 people who read it, 1 person thumbs up, maybe 1 replies with 5 words and you fall off the front of the page in 4 minutes.

That said, it's not misleading - it's just not specific. The whole point of the thread is how the systems team put zero effort or innovation into this expac.
08/31/2018 12:29 PMPosted by Wendell

Now that made me laugh. Hilarious! Good one.
Instead of expanding on the features of Legion they NERFED them. Kinda like our classes and everything else. It's actually funny cause at the same time they could have been creating actual content instead.
WoD took at least a month before it started to really dawn on most people how bad it was.

BFA took 1-2 weeks.
How can something that advances a main narrative thats built over extensive content be called filler? Whats filler about BFA, what do you think its staling us before? If its filler then you must assume something else is on the horizon that they are holding off on. Please enlighten
Just because something is innovative and had a lot of work put into it does not mean it is good.

Apple was innovative for removing the headphone jack and using only blue tooth, that does not mean its good. Change for changes sake is not good.
Do people know what they're saying when they say "WoD 2.0"? Genuinely curious, because Warlords of Draenor's problem stems from the fact that there was no content.

Literally no content. We got 8 dungeons and 2 raids and only ONE zone of world/daily quests. Unless Blizzard just straight up stops making content patches, there is literally no basis for comparison.
One main issue I saw mentioned earlier is that we went from awesome war story of burning tree and lorderon, to random crappy troll/weird alaskan story-line. Nothing really wrong with the latter except it doesn't have anything to do imo with the atmosphere of alliance vs horde. It's just confusing and all over the place.
08/31/2018 01:02 PMPosted by Keeba
How can something that advances a main narrative thats built over extensive content be called filler? Whats filler about BFA, what do you think its staling us before? If its filler then you must assume something else is on the horizon that they are holding off on. Please enlighten

It's filler because I guess there's no immediate world-threat ready to kill us at a moment's notice. That's pretty much what people mean when they say "filler".

It's funny because sometimes generic brands are better than name brands.
08/31/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Krypollo
One main issue I saw mentioned earlier is that we went from awesome war story of burning tree and lorderon, to random crappy troll/weird alaskan story-line. Nothing really wrong with the latter except it doesn't have anything to do imo with the atmosphere of alliance vs horde. It's just confusing and all over the place.

The whole point of what we're doing now is to gain Allies with powerful navies for the faction war.

Yeah, I mean, I'm really hoping they are holding off on the horizon for stunning ".1" or ".2" reveals or an expac down the line that blows my mind.

I'm allowing for the possibility, as the design/systems teams basically sat this expac out, giving us reskins of tired systems from MoP, WoD and Legion with literally nothing new to add. That could be because they're all hard at work on something down the line that's amazing... or it could be because systems developers were quietly moved from WoW and the game took a big step toward maintenance mode.

I'm hoping for the former.
08/31/2018 02:03 PMPosted by Barrison

Yeah, I mean, I'm really hoping they are holding off on the horizon for stunning ".1" or ".2" reveals or an expac down the line that blows my mind.

I'm allowing for the possibility, as the design/systems teams basically sat this expac out, giving us reskins of tired systems from MoP, WoD and Legion with literally nothing new to add. That could be because they're all hard at work on something down the line that's amazing... or it could be because systems developers were quietly moved from WoW and the game took a big step toward maintenance mode.

A varied and expressively broad narrative for both factions. The addition of War Mode, island expeditions, allied races, the upcoming Warfronts, and raids but yeah I dont see your point.
08/31/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Barrison
08/31/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Rootluid
What im getting at is Blizzard has run out of content and are just reusing ideas and slightly altering them with a new skin every expansion.

I would tend to doubt they ran out of ideas. I honestly think it's because they

A.) Didn't want to take a risk following a very successful Expac (Legion)
AND
B.) They are working on something that will blow our minds. World of Warcraft: Black Empire? Complete shake up of the factions. Another Cata-style world revamp, at least of NPCs and not nessecarily geography/zones (learning from the mistakes Cata made).

To be honest they are reusing areas. i see villages and layout that literally look copy/paste from MoP areas, Legion high mountain areas/WoTLK. THey just took bits and pieces from other content and re-fleshed it with slight new updates to fit the new themes of BfA and then they crapped it out.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

A varied and expressively broad narrative for both factions. The addition of War Mode, island expeditions, allied races, the upcoming Warfronts, and raids but yeah I dont see your point.

A varied and expressively broad narrative for both factions. - Not the systems/design team. That's the story/art team.

The addition of War Mode - They already had it in Legion, they just added a switch players could control.

Island expeditions - It's the MoP scenario system mixed with the Legion "player-like AI system" from PVP World Quests with a slight tweak. Also... I think the most positive thing anyone's ever said about these is that "they get pretty tedious"

Allied Races - Had 8 months before Launch. Also not really part of the systems team. Much more art/story team.

The upcoming Warfronts - Which are not in game yet.

I mean, don't see where your confusion is. Everything you listed to make your point is basically is recycled systems from previous expansions.
A few months ago I made a comment based on my beta experience: "Looks great, plays dull, like most of BfA."

This was on Reddit, got downvoted to hell. But looks like I was right!