What happened?

Emerald Dream
Earlier today I only had about 20 minutes to play and needed to knock out a few WQs as quickly as possible so I switched it off while doing those few WQs. I've only leveled 2 and a half toons so far in BfA but all have had Warmode active since it went live.

I play on both ED and VeCo and have been a member in many wpvp guilds on both servers going back to the days of fighting against multi-raid <Enclave> groups back on VeCo as a member of guilds like <Black Tooth Grin> <Thunderhoof Clan> <Dragonmaw Vanguard> etc. Both servers have always taken immense pride in the quantity and quality of their wpvp communities as they should have, it was glorious.

Playing BfA warmode though I wasn't seeing many Alliance out in the worlddd but of course always running into Horde raid groups (which I'm sure happens Horde side as well). I've always been mostly a solo/duo player outside of organized wpvp events so rolling with a raid isn't really my bag. Anyway, I switched off my Warmode for about 30 minutes and it was like night and day! Alliance as far as they eye can see, a sea of blue names!

Given these servers long and rich history of wpvp pride, where has the Alliance gone? Am I just getting dumped into !@#$ shards? Are others finding any remotely equal faction representation anywhere? Has the Alliance lost it's teeth? Do people only activate warmode when they have a guild raid formed? What is going on? Is ED no longer a wpvp community?
I was hunting around Boralus tonight in Warmode and counted ONLY 3 players in the city

It was so dead...depressing

08/31/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Ergram
Am I just getting dumped into !@#$ shards?

Yes, it's a major problem
Alliance have pretty much been cowards since Kingship left. I mean, just look at D7, they came Horde just to join the WsB zerg machine.
ED and Veco are sharded in the new zones. The purported reason is to balance faction populations, this means that quite often, for example a horde raid group will be the only horde you will find in the world, and say you wont see a raid group of your own faction cause it's sharded on its own.

It has a lot more quirks, and uhmmm bugs, >.> Its definately not what was promised pre-launch either...
It’s mostly just !@#$ty sharding, I feel like ED server’s balance is pretty good, but when other servers get involved, it becomes Horde-heavy. One of the worst parts of BFA imo.
08/31/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Jacksouth
It’s mostly just !@#$ty sharding, I feel like ED server’s balance is pretty good, but when other servers get involved, it becomes Horde-heavy. One of the worst parts of BFA imo.

For real.
I'm still seeing...

HORDE

HORDE GREEN

HORDE GREEN AS FAR ARE THE EYES CAN SEE!!!

HORDE

And

One red letter ally running for their lives as

HORDES OF HORDE CHASE THEM...

right up to where the poor sap is suddenly magically transported to...

ether?

another Horde hunting group?

It's almost like Blizzard's "shard" experience is really meant to gather like faction together, let them quest together quietly, and with minimal interruption from such mundane things like wPvP.

Lok (finding other things to do besides play WoW) Nal
I've never turned Warmode off since I've been able to turn it on. I am not having the same experience as yall. Has to be sharding issue. I see plenty of back and forth. The Alliance are outnumbered a lot of the time, but we aren't total shlubs either. I can get all my WQs done solo without too much of a huge issue. Nothing that previous PvP server experience hasn't already offered.
When you're playing in warmode in the new zones you are not playing on ED. You are playing on a shared shard with mostly other RP realms.

If you are solo in warmode you are likely to be put into a shard that is heavily populated by the other faction because of blizzards shard balancing tech.

If you don't have warmode on you'll see more people of your faction because they don't try to balance shards with warmode off.

Sharding !@#$ing sucks and reading threads on reddit and GD lately it seems the rest of the playerbase are slowly realizing it too.
08/31/2018 11:30 PMPosted by Jacksouth
Well the War Mode sharding tries to balance factions in an area, but at the same time people are using group finder a ton to not have to solo all their dang world quests.

Like there may have been 30 alliance just there 2 seconds ago doing an Elite Boss world quest listed in group finder. So the system stacked a ton of Horde thinking the Alliance would stay, but they all quit the group and poofed after the boss died leaving 30 Horde.

They designed the War Mode system not realizing that a lot of people don't want to solo everything in an MMO.
first... lots of guilds on ally side are always warmode for max lvls… most of cbh lvl'd with warmode and never turned it off since, and I know it goes the same for most of the rp/pvp ppl that I know in other guilds...

second... the sharding is a very big problem... especially wen trying to keep it ED community... we had 5 or 6 groups of 5 like 3 weeks ago running round killing watever they saw, and wen the horde finally made a big group to cash in on all the assasins and bounties and we tried to meet up with each other only 2 out of the groups were phased the same...

third... with world defense broken, and most of the world pvp happening in the new zones, the chances that both ally and horde both have a group ready to fight one another wen one attacks the other, and are in the same phase... are slim and none...

and finally... if u think that one side does more pvp than the other you r wrong... it is just as active on both sides, but both sides still have the issue that if there is a group of ppl thrashing around, outside of guilds, pugs will hardly ever group up or want to hlp u take them on... the best way I have found is that u get a big enough group (like if u have 5 and they 12) and u show the pugs that they can be hurt in the fight, a lot will grow some balls and come finish them off, and then hlp with future fights... but ur one and u see a group of 10 and u ask the guy next to u to hlp… 9/10 times they will blow u off... happens on both side... tested... proven... fact...
I see a ton when wm is off- but i also see a lot with warmode on- depends on sharding and rng for shardin
Something I've been following, which I suggest many of you Alliance players do since its quickly becoming, and I don't mean this in any negative way, a you problem, is the WPvP forum:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814324/

Alliance, apparently, by and large has been detesting War Mode because there are to many Horde, they can't get their WQ's done, getting ganked all the time, etc. etc.

As far as sharding for ED goes I'm not sure how much that effects us since we are supposed to be in a more limited sharding effect, if any at all. The Alliance have been, from what I can see there, active turning off War Mode and suggesting others do the same because of its "bad design and imbalance". So I say it is a you problem because I'm going to be in War Mode regardless, as is most of the Horde using their logic. I'll take a free 10% boost across the board, I'm perfectly content with that. If it becomes Barren then we'll make our own RP-PvP events, we'll get the world going again in our own way.
09/01/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Arnyrnan
first... lots of guilds on ally side are always warmode for max lvls… most of cbh lvl'd with warmode and never turned it off since, and I know it goes the same for most of the rp/pvp ppl that I know in other guilds...

second... the sharding is a very big problem... especially wen trying to keep it ED community... we had 5 or 6 groups of 5 like 3 weeks ago running round killing watever they saw, and wen the horde finally made a big group to cash in on all the assasins and bounties and we tried to meet up with each other only 2 out of the groups were phased the same...

third... with world defense broken, and most of the world pvp happening in the new zones, the chances that both ally and horde both have a group ready to fight one another wen one attacks the other, and are in the same phase... are slim and none...

and finally... if u think that one side does more pvp than the other you r wrong... it is just as active on both sides, but both sides still have the issue that if there is a group of ppl thrashing around, outside of guilds, pugs will hardly ever group up or want to hlp u take them on... the best way I have found is that u get a big enough group (like if u have 5 and they 12) and u show the pugs that they can be hurt in the fight, a lot will grow some balls and come finish them off, and then hlp with future fights... but ur one and u see a group of 10 and u ask the guy next to u to hlp… 9/10 times they will blow u off... happens on both side... tested... proven... fact...

^

All that.

Blizzard is prioritizing shard balancing first and foremost. Keeping people from the same server in the same shard is a distant afterthought.
09/01/2018 08:45 AMPosted by Abrahof
As far as sharding for ED goes I'm not sure how much that effects us since we are supposed to be in a more limited sharding effect, if any at all.

We are heavily sharded in the new zones. It's only in old content that we have our own realm.

The evidence is in the fact that as soon as you enter Boralus every other person you see is from Maelstrom, WRA, Moon Guard, Earthen Ring, Sentinels, and other RP servers.

For anecdotal evidence, my guild was trying to get as many people the new wpvp title as possible in the first few weeks. You can only get it in a 5 man party because you can't complete quests in a raid. We thought we could get around that by just having two 5 man parties coordinating in discord. After maybe 15 minutes the parties got separated on different shards. We could literally see our guildmates that were in a different group just disappear in front of our eyes.
I haven't turned warmode off since pre-patch and our entire guild operates exclusively with war mode on, even for events.

We've run into some ED Alliance guilds out in the world and we've had some great pvp with you guys. Our biggest annoyance right now is the LFG groups.

We've had a couple occasions out in Kul Tiras where it's just a few of us and a LFG group of 12-15 alliance from all different realms is what crashes us, and it's not the WQ groups coming along to PvP, it starts with a few ED alliance getting killed and ends with a LFG raid.

Stop LFG PvPing, call your guildies! We love to fight you guys, not random people from other realms.

Let's keep it real, Alliance.
See y'all on the battlefield!
09/01/2018 11:05 PMPosted by Skargath
I haven't turned warmode off since pre-patch and our entire guild operates exclusively with war mode on, even for events.

We've run into some ED Alliance guilds out in the world and we've had some great pvp with you guys. Our biggest annoyance right now is the LFG groups.

We've had a couple occasions out in Kul Tiras where it's just a few of us and a LFG group of 12-15 alliance from all different realms is what crashes us, and it's not the WQ groups coming along to PvP, it starts with a few ED alliance getting killed and ends with a LFG raid.

Stop LFG PvPing, call your guildies! We love to fight you guys, not random people from other realms.

Let's keep it real, Alliance.
See y'all on the battlefield!

once again... happens on both sides... I wont name guilds but horde is guilty as hell of this as well... as I see it all the time from multiple well established horde guilds that I would think wouldn't have to use this tactic...

but in all reality I am surprised it hasn't been used as much as I thought it would last expansion, or why it took this expansion to become more common place...

I wouldn't go so far as to shun this move, but I do find it distasteful...
Accck don't listen to this alliance filth they run like pussies when you take 77% of their health. There are very very very few of them in Warmode. But when you see one and open he/she would rather run. The ones that don't run are usually pallies with a druid pocket healer, they don't run, but with a couple friends to even it out they too die and give up that bounty bag. Overall there is no such thing as Alliance PvP unless they catch you in a WQ 6 on 1
I leveled & currently quest with warmode off, if gear rewards from world quests and reputation gains followed the +10% bonus then maybe more people would consider it, its already a pain in the !@# to solo stuff as a healer.