Why are people still playing

General Discussion
09/04/2018 08:23 AMPosted by Viruletic
Because it's not "Enjoy the game or quit" there's also the third option of feedback to try to keep the game you love alive.

SO MUCH THIS!

But all you hear from the devs is Crickets!
Because it's not "Enjoy the game or quit" there's also the third option of feedback to try to keep the game you love alive.
09/04/2018 08:07 AMPosted by Dawgpound
If they hate the game so much? Why are they paying $15 a month for something if they don't like it? I don't understand this. This game gets more hate from the players than any game I've ever seen, yet it is played by more people than almost any game ever made. My guess is most people love the game, but are drama queens and need their attention fix.

well the game itself i do like i just hate the dev team themself because they screw the undead over on every thing and the 2 class that are unique to undead that would make undead really worth playing over other races (c urrently we dont have it ) is dark ranger and necromancer the excuse not to add it is well hunter this hunter that (news flash hunter dosn't use banshee abilitys and no longer has black arrow so only dumb dumbs would compare the 2 at this point) then necromancer no warlock is no where near a necromancer (due to its use of demon magic) as for death knight well maybe however it isnt a necromancer just like your paladins are not a priest but yet we got both priest and pally so that excuse is stupid... then you got the dumb dumbs saying well lorderon was a human empire that is incorrect lorderon housed dwarfs, orc prisoners, trolls in the forest and had elfs in the kingdom ... so that excuse is just dumb for the reason of human only undead lol

but we undead lovers get screwed over by retarded excuse that are fully untrue or dont matter when comparing to living things like the paladin and priest being same thing lol but getting both
I play because I like my guild and raiding's starting again soon. So yay.
Lol I already see less ppl in open world...
If they hate the game so much? Why are they paying $15 a month for something if they don't like it? I don't understand this. This game gets more hate from the players than any game I've ever seen, yet it is played by more people than almost any game ever made. My guess is most people love the game, but are drama queens and need their attention fix.

I'd assume that most people don't hate the game. I don't. I love the game... And that's the problem, because I feel like something I love is being ruined because of greed. Aside from cancelling my sub (which I've done) complaining about my issues on the official forums is the only way I know to speak my mind to an official venue and express my opinion. Which is exactly what this forum is for...

The reason so many people are complaining is because there's an issue with the game that's going unaddressed, and like you said:
[WoW] is played by more people than almost any game ever made.
That's probably true. But because that's true, you're bound to see more complaints. More people = more people complaining when things go awry.

Also, you do realize how subscriptions work right? Despite the fact that I'm not playing (and I haven't been for over a week at this point) I paid for a certain amount of game time. That time, and my access to this forum (and my freedom to complain here) doesn't simply disappear because my opinion on the game has soured. It disappears when my time runs out. In less than 24 hours, I won't be able to voice my opinion here. Gotta make it count.

TLDR; The people complaining do love the game. They hate what's happening to it.
09/04/2018 08:12 AMPosted by Freakinfreak
I agree with you, most people actually like the game, general discussion is always doom and gloom!

It is an old game that people have been playing for a long time, so passions tend to run a little high!
yeah I have a huge place in my heart over the years, and will be mentally broken for a while when it finally shuts down. I try not to take it too seriously because I wanna have fun. I have enough stress with my family, job,bills, 4 ruptured discs in my back, etc.. to allow the game to make me mad. Therefore I just pick n choose what I wanna do on the game n try to stay away from the super hardcore playing. I could probly do ok, but nah I'll keep paying to do mount runs, xmog runs, pvp, whatever I feel like doin that day. To a lot of people they can't justify paying for that, but for me, it's easily worth my $15 a mth for just that stuff, and talking to my guildies I've been with since MOP.

Amen!
09/04/2018 08:27 AMPosted by Eskylidi
Because I like the basic game.
I do notice that there are a lot of 'Goodbyes' threads. Haven't seen this many since the WOD Flying riots.

It's all perception. At the start of every expansion there is a bump then a drain. MMOs in general aren't retaining as many players as they once did. Many of the same people who join up at the start of the expansion forget what an MMO is and lose interest quickly.

I don't notice more or less than what we normally see. Flight threads were also pinging +500 in the age of downvotes.

The grind will stay, I think you'd be crazy to think grinds would ever go away. Allied Races might see an easing in requirements, but Blizzard seems oddly firm in it's decision.
I have 1 month left on my subscription, and my husband still plays. Not gonna put that last 13.99 to waste.
09/04/2018 08:29 AMPosted by Eskylidi
09/04/2018 08:25 AMPosted by Kastellan
People hating the game and taking the time to air their grievances implies that they are interested in seeing changes to something they love. I imagine you like BFA, and are currently satisfied and make personal concessions as long as the game hasn't done anything to completely alienate your experience.

Now imagine it does. One morning you wake up, and bam the one thing you loved about BFA and WoW has been taken away from you. What do you do? Depends. If you enjoyed the game but hate the change and can't play anymore, you unsub and hope for better times. But, if you love the game and its various iterations through the years but hate the change, and believe in your core that this is something that really destroys player experience, well you criticize it. And that's what people do, in productive and unproductive ways. But minus the trolls, that is the common thread that units more complainants - people who love the game and wish to keep playing and seeing these changes reverted because they believe that these changes are absolutely revertible and change may happen.

Are you serious? Or do you expect the devs to be mind readers?
Simply walking away because a change is ridiculous or do you really think companies don't care when money walks out the door?
No, he's right. All he's saying is if they did something to alienate him, he'd probly leave, as I would if they took xmogs and mount drops in instances away. He's not demanding anything, and it's one of the more well thought out, lucid replies I've gotten. I understand anger and voicing it, but the way in which they do it in GD, who's gonna take em seriously? Even Blizz dev's would probly say "hmm this is a problem, but we don't need people with their attitude anyways". There's right ways to voice concerns, then there's " If they don't do a rollback immediately I'm gone". Companies don't often act in the best interests of people that threaten them.

I'd assume that most people don't hate the game. I don't. I love the game... And that's the problem, because I feel like something I love is being ruined because of greed. Aside from cancelling my sub (which I've done) complaining about my issues on the official forums is the only way I know to speak my mind to an official venue and express my opinion. Which is exactly what this forum is for...

The reason so many people are complaining is because there's an issue with the game that's going unaddressed, and like you said:
[WoW] is played by more people than almost any game ever made.
That's probably true. But because that's true, you're bound to see more complaints. More people = more people complaining when things go awry.

Also, you do realize how subscriptions work right? Despite the fact that I'm not playing (and I haven't been for over a week at this point) I paid for a certain amount of game time. That time, and my access to this forum (and my freedom to complain here) doesn't simply disappear because my opinion on the game has soured. It disappears when my time runs out. In less than 24 hours, I won't be able to voice my opinion here. Gotta make it count.

TLDR; The people complaining do love the game. They hate what's happening to it.
I fully understand how subs work an I feel for all of you leaving, especially the long term ones. I had so much faith restored during Legion just to see most of the friends I made over the last few years leave. It sucks that rpg's are slowly dying as it becomes more acceptable every day to be a nerd thanks to DC and Marvel. I love this game, and to see so much hate is disheartening. I'm not angry when I make these posts,more sad that the game we knew has died and been replaced by something that many people do not like.

Your comment contains far too much logic.
Keep pretending nothings wrong, hope things will get better, remembering the good old days, doing it for the ki-......no wait that last parts my marriage.
I roleplay, so I often have something to keep me entertained even when the game truly isn't. I also enjoy running dungeons and making gold, and it is nice to have a casual time sink I can play with friends on Discord.

Were I not a roleplayer, nor in a guild, I'd absolutely not be playing the game as it is now.
Im asking my self that a lot lately. The game is really gone downhill this expansion, i loved legion. But BfA has so many things that i hate, compounded with exploits and bugs one right after another, makes me question my sanity to keep playing.

The old wow is dead and gone, i hang on to it, but really i should let go.

Lots of players who are upset have unsubbed, like me, and probably have xdays left.

This is the same thing that happened at WoD, soon the complaints will disappear giving the illusion of a successful game but then Q4's earnings will roll in and Activision Blizz execs will be like:

-___________________-
My account is currently active because I was gifted game time and could not return it. I initially started back in by making a level one, knowing I could get to a certain point without paying. I figured I might as well use that free game time, since I was enjoying myself. Also a friend spotted me log into Battlenet and gave me a little guilt trip. :D

It does feels weird with all my friends off in BfA and me not being there. Not sure if I'll keep my account active once it expires, but I did notice with how much fun I was having with my new shaman, and the leveling experience, there is now a chance I will actually do so when initially there was no chance. People can like something and still be critical of it. For me it was simply having no desire to play through the story in BfA. I don't agree with what Blizz did with Allied races, even though it would not have kept me from getting one, but it is one of a number marks against them that reinforce my decision to not buy BfA and lean towards letting my account run out. I'll just have to see. I've got plenty of time left to make my final decision. Until then I'll pop in here from time to time and joke, complain and give my opinion when I feel like it. It's part of subscription fee so might as well take advantage of it. :)

The reason so many people are complaining is because there's an issue with the game that's going unaddressed, and like you said: ... That's probably true. But because that's true, you're bound to see more complaints. More people = more people complaining when things go awry.

I fully understand how subs work an I feel for all of you leaving, especially the long term ones. I had so much faith restored during Legion just to see most of the friends I made over the last few years leave. It sucks that rpg's are slowly dying as it becomes more acceptable every day to be a nerd thanks to DC and Marvel. I love this game, and to see so much hate is disheartening. I'm not angry when I make these posts,more sad that the game we knew has died and been replaced by something that many people do not like.

Honestly, I appreciate that. Sorry for the snark, too... I guess I'm just used to so many other posters being dismissive (ala. "no one cares, just quit already", etc.) that I've become a preemptive jerk, and that's not cool, so my apologies.

It's def a bit heartbreaking in a way. I suppose I had the same experience. I bailed out of WoD (similarly to how I'm leaving now), but came back with Legion and utterly loved it. I was so hyped for BfA, and I think that's why I'm most upset. At this point I've spent the majority of my adult life playing WoW. I just can't help but be a bit vocal about all the changes that are making me not want to play it anymore, you know?

I don't think anyone, even the people complaining, like the negativity. I'd like to think that all of us just want the best for the little digital world we choose to spend our free time in.

I drink a lot and tell myself no, don't drink tonight you're smarter than that. I'm not. I'm self destructive. Some people are.

Edit: before someone chews me out. I love wow haha. Just talking about personalities.