Unsubbed - Feedback for Devs

General Discussion
I'll probably let my sub run out too. I feel burnt out from trying to unlock dark irons. Only halfway through revered and tired of doing wqs. I've been playing my dk which is great for tanking unfortunately both my do's specs feel clunky slow and un competitive. Bfa feels alot like wod in the sense that leveling was fun, max was just boring. Nice to hear other people are enjoying it though.
09/06/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Ðiømedes
Hello Blizzard,

Old BC player here, I've played the majority of all expansion packs except for WoD. There are a bunch of reasons for my unsub and I thought I would try to list some constructive feedback just in case the community managers are taking notes to give to the devs.

Battle for Azeroth suffers from being on the heels of a truly great expansion. Legendaries, Artifacts, Class Stories, Mythic+, Karazhan, Demon Hunters, Paragon Rep, Invasions, Invasion Portals all combined to make a really fun expansion. Battle for Azeroth however does very little to expand on this. The new features in BfA are as follows (I'm omitting new continents because that's standard in every exp pack.)

-Heart of Azeroth and Azerite gear
- Warmode
- Allied Races
- Island Expeditions
- Warfronts

However each one of these do not feel like new features, but revamped features of Legion.

Heart of Azeroth and Azerite gear is very clearly just a copy of artifacts and legendaries albeit in a simplified form.

Warmode is not really new. The people who played on PvE servers were there for a reason, the 10% exp bonus didnt entice people who dont like PvP to play PvP and if it did, the constant zerging urged them to turn it off.

Allied Races felt like they would be a breath of fresh air until everyone realized the amount of grind that would have to happen in order to play one. I really wanted to make a Dark Iron Dwarf Warrior and a Lightforged Paladin. Just not enough time in the day for a married with children man to do that and gear up for raids. The other problem is, I wanted to main a Dark Iron Dwarf Warrior, but in order to do that, I have to grind rep for 1-2 months and then start all my reps over again. Its of course "do-able" but not casual friendly at all. Even in a non casual friendly expansion like Burning Crusade they didnt gate you from playing a new race.

Island Expeditions feel like Legion portals with a time limit. I did like how they made the AI use class abilities, I was always a fan of the faction battle in the Argent Tourny. But combined with the time it takes to do them plus the dismal rewards, it felt very much like it wasnt nearly worth the time.

Warfronts were another thing I was looking forward to. I didnt read up on them beforehand so when someone told me that it worked more like Legion Broken Shore buildings and less like Wintergrasp, I was sorely disappointed. In the end, I ended up spending an hour flying around Arathi Highlands tagging mobs while everyone just AoEd everything down. It wasnt very fun. I understand there will be more to them, but they are also time gated so that makes them less interesting.

And thats about it for new features and why so many people feel like this expansion is Legion 2.0 or "Legion-lite."

A few other points:
- World Quests without the reward of a possible legendary or emissary cache do not feel worth the amount of time it takes to traverse two large continents on hoof with very few flight paths. If I wanted to do all the quests on both continents it takes me a good 2 hours. What do I get for spending those 2 hours? Not enough for the time investment, thats for sure.
- The level scaling doesnt feel right. I get that you want to make outdoor content last as long as possible but in RPG terms, scaling is a disaster. The devs are saying "you're definitely getting more powerful." The problem is, I dont FEEL like that. The feeling of getting more powerful is what keeps people playing and while mathematically that may be the case when I get new gear, it doesnt feel like that. I'm 330 now and every piece I've put on has not made me FEEL more powerful. Just some tiny incremental gain.
-Speaking of tiny incremental gains, Azerite power feels really bad. I found myself not even caring about the bar anymore because every quest I do is such a minuscule gain toward Azerite powers that arent very interesting that it just makes me not even care. As someone who plays a lot of RPGS, Blizz thats not a good thing.

I can live with bugs, lag, class balance, poor writing and even faction preference among the developers, but the features and lack of decent rewards for time played make this expansion a chore. I'm sure other people are having fun, but Blizz I personally know a lot of people who arent.

I would like this game to keep succeeding, even if it doesnt include me in it, and I know for a fact that WoD was not the direction your company wanted to go in. I'm here to say that BfA is a return to that direction. I'll check back in to see if anythings changed in a year or so but you'll have to earn me back thats for sure.

Thanks for reading - May your forehead grow like the mighty oak.

Seems to literally be the same feedback for every poster that's unsubbing actually, been reading every one. It's like I work for AB right now.
09/06/2018 08:15 AMPosted by Xanatas
09/06/2018 08:12 AMPosted by Amine
You haven't even fully experienced warfronts - only a part of it.

Hmm. How long does he have to wait to experience the rest of it?

You have to wait for the fake bar to fill up.

09/06/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Forums
09/06/2018 08:20 AMPosted by Prisse
Yeah, he should stick around to experience drip feed content in his subscription MMO.
Would you prefer the 14 month droughts that we had in 2013-14 and 2015-16?

False dilemma fallacy, more possibilities exist. Try harder.
09/06/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Zaramis
Seems to literally be the same feedback for every poster that's unsubbing actually, been reading every one. It's like I work for AB right now.

I've been reading a lot of them too and you are right, they all seem to have similar things in them. I really hope Blizzard weighs this against the monetary reasons to hold a smaller dev team to create "good enough" content.
You haven't even fully experienced warfronts - only a part of it.

It is a waiting game that costs too much to open the WFs. Who wants to log on thinking there is new content only to find it is locked until you pay to have it opened.

The profession setup is a lot better although what you can craft needs to have a little more value for a little longer. I originally thought that ilvl 300 gear would be good for all expansion long but it is already being downgraded by warfronts.

Do you happen to have enchanting? The mats to level it up to 150 are difficult to come by unless you can either afford to buy them off the AH or run mythics over and over to get crystals. Worse yet, for the best ring enchant, you have to use 8 crystals at rank 1 and it is only 10 pts above the cheaper one

Plus dungeons are optional this expansion, in that you can mostly ignore them and still have enough of a game to play to make it worthwhile.

They are not optional. Not only do you have to do them for story advancement if you do have professions, you'll need hydrocores and you can only get those off of the last boss in mythic dungeons.

OP makes some very valid points. People are already getting burnt out from doing world quests over and over and it is only 4 weeks into the new xpac. They were looking forward to new content so they could do something new, only to learn they cannot do that content until they paid the price to do it. It is disappointing to say the least. I also think many are hopeful that when they do get to experience the new content, it will be exciting and fun.
Take care OP, sorry to see you leave, i completely understand your reasoning as its something i have considered but im holding out hope Blizz shapes up. Best wishes to you and your family, i hope you have fun with whatever you would now do for fun.
09/06/2018 09:35 AMPosted by Kiwì
They are not optional. Not only do you have to do them for story advancement if you do have professions, you'll need hydrocores and you can only get those off of the last boss in mythic dungeons.

You can get hydrocores by scrapping too. But again whats the difference between hydrocores and Legion Bloods? Professions in BfA arent worth leveling.
May your days be long and your hardships few, Ðiømedes.
It is a heavy WoD / Lego revamp. Nothing new except allied races. And I know a lot of people who were left kinda disconnected cause their race wasn't chosen to be made playable.
09/06/2018 09:42 AMPosted by Melaroi
May your days be long and your hardships few, Ðiømedes.

You must not have young kids, Mel lol The days are VERY long and the hardships are never few.
I've been an on/off player since beta (played every expansion) and I too unsubbed for many of the same reasons (although it unfortunately doesn't run out fir a bit). In addition the constant bugs, lack of character progression (scaling is awful), and deliberate unfun time sinks make the fun aspect of the game (raiding) not worth it.

The funny thing is, I'd probably till subscribe if I could just log on and raid without it affecting my performance. But instead I need to grind azerite, rep, and consumables and I'm finding the content to do that (islands, dailies) boring and intentionally throttled.

As an example, I reluctantly queued for h islands with our geared guild tank to grind some stupid azerite. After a bugged elite snake hit him for most of his heath and 1 shotted me we realized this wasn't worth our time. Blizzard isn't a small indie company, and the grind, throttling, and bugs make it not worthwhile.

(PS I didn't get a "transmog" weapon from the first boss, but stealth nerfing a weapon equipped by a fair amount of your player base has to be one of the dumbness things any mmo has ever done.)
I also am unsubbed , started playing in 08 . now my reasons are different than yours . patch 8.0 and the drastic stat squish , scaling and just the feel of wow now . my friends list is filled with names of ppl that have left the game . I didn't buy bfa , I waited to see how it went , and after reading the forums im pretty sure I made a wise choice . right now im just waiting out my time , good luck OP . for myself maybe its time to move on , wow isn't the game I started playing all those yrs ago .
Took me less than 2 weeks after hitting max level and unlocking WQ's to unlock the Dark Iron Dwarves.

I have 4/6 Heritage sets, and 5/6 Allied Races, will soon have 5/6 Heritage Sets as well.

They are not hard to get.
09/06/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Myavatar
wow isn't the game I started playing all those yrs ago .

It certainly isnt. But that doesnt mean it cant be fun again. #MakeWoWFunAgain
09/06/2018 10:40 AMPosted by Përdïtïon
Took me less than 2 weeks after hitting max level and unlocking WQ's to unlock the Dark Iron Dwarves.

I have 4/6 Heritage sets, and 5/6 Allied Races, will soon have 5/6 Heritage Sets as well.

They are not hard to get.

Yea I get that it can be done, theres a couple in my guild who have it. But the time it takes to do that everyday is not the time I can spend. I have about 2 hours a day to play and everything in this game is a time sink. I guess thats my problem but if Blizzard wants casual players, they need to take a hard look at what casual players are saying.
However each one of these do not feel like new features, but revamped features of Legion..
Good enough for my $15/month, I'm staying.
Most expansions are more iterative and less extreme in their shakeup from end of expansion through first new patch. Legion was the exception, not the rule.

Combine that with how you have seemed pretty negative for a long time and I honestly think you just don't enjoy WoW once the newness of things wears off.
09/06/2018 08:09 AMPosted by Ðiømedes
Thanks for reading - May your forehead grow like the mighty oak.
We'll leave the light on for you in case you decide to head on back. Good Luck! :)
Good constructive feedback. I disagree on some and agree on some but if you aren't enjoying yourself then definitely it is time to hang em up.

I will comment on this though:
"Battle for Azeroth suffers from being on the heels of a truly great expansion. Legendaries, Artifacts, Class Stories, Mythic+, Karazhan, Demon Hunters, Paragon Rep, Invasions, Invasion Portals all combined to make a really fun expansion. "

Legendaries. I do agree and not sure why they just didn't go back to how MoP and WoD were. IMO I thought that was perfect so everyone had a good chance to get one if you put in the work vs needing to be in a raiding guild and hoping they pick you to get the legendary item.

Artifacts: Not really sure what you mean here but if you mean the weapons then no, I don't miss that.

Class stories: Umm those have been gone for awhile. Vanilla was the one the really had the class stories. The only other time I felt I had a class story was Legion.

Mythic+ and Karazhan: Not sure what you are trying to say here but Mythic+ is in game and same system. Kara the 5 man dungeon was added in Legion half way through the expansion. We are only a few weeks into this one. LONG way to go still.

Paragon Rep: That was never added until near the end of the expansion. Maybe this is something (which I am willing to bet) they plan on adding later.

Invasions/Invasions Portals: Only new to Legion. Why would these carry over? There is absolutely no reason for them to be in BfA. Not everything needs to or has to be carried over from each expansion.

You are comparing a 3 week old expansion to full blown expansions and as I mentioned, most of those things came later in the expansion. But again, if you aren't happy then definitely move on and you gave good feedback at least and not a "Fire Ion. Devs suck. This game sucks. I am quitting (but not really)" type quitting post.
Sucks to see so many people leaving.

Good post. I agree on almost every count. Let's hope Blizz will take note.

Farewell m8