is resto weak or is it just me?

Shaman
i tried uldir as resto and i was 1mil under priest heals, constantly putting down healing totem and healing rain, chain healing and everything and i couldnt compete. I haven't played resto much, was always mostly enhance or ele playing but this xpac im into the lore and it seems i can only get into stuff as a healer. Not sure if resto needs work or if i need work or maybe combination of both.
I'm playing around with talent choices at the moment. I'd recommend checking out some Logs of other Resto shamans and see what sort of talent choices, spells, etc they're going for.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and using the standard recommended goto (Flash Flood / High Tide) talents. I'm going to give the next raid a shot using Downpour/Wellspring instead and see how that works out any better for me in the long run.
We have no chance against priest and monks. Druid and pally are around our level though.
The numbers are coming in and we're ~20% behind the highest HPS healer, Holy Priest. At least We're not Paladins.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19#metric=hps

Of course, HPS isn't everything, utility is invaluable, etc. Still feels bad :(
Well now i don't feel so bad, i left the raid and asked them to get a better healer. Thought it was just mainly me.
09/06/2018 04:39 PMPosted by Wrèçk
Well now i don't feel so bad, i left the raid and asked them to get a better healer. Thought it was just mainly me.

I wouldn't go so far as to leave your raids over it, because you bring irreplaceable utility through SLT. We (and Paladins) just need a numbers buff somewhere. Definitely keep healing and getting better at it, eventually when you're doing good and Blizzard brings all the healers in line, suddenly you'll be leagues ahead of the ones who coasted on an easy spec :)
09/06/2018 05:01 PMPosted by Thegs

I wouldn't go so far as to leave your raids over it, because you bring irreplaceable utility through SLT. We (and Paladins) just need a numbers buff somewhere. Definitely keep healing and getting better at it, eventually when you're doing good and Blizzard brings all the healers in line, suddenly you'll be leagues ahead of the ones who coasted on an easy spec :)

I have 0 faith in blizzard to bring healers in line.
09/06/2018 05:01 PMPosted by Thegs

idk i just felt like it was the right thing to do, especially in a new raid where people want to progress, figured they would bring in another druid or priest, the druid was outperforming the 3 of us. I'll just practice on mythics for now lol. Unless somehow i get lucky enough as enhance ilvl 336 to get into uldir.
I raid tomorrow and you guys have me feeling down :(
09/06/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Zapp

haha don't feel down, might of just been me. im sure i played a big part. just do your thang. I mean i still have some enhance stuff in resto spec lol so i still need gear but im sure it was mostly me.
resto shammy does feel bad to me also..my MW monk has WAY more throughput. feels like almost twice as much, while being more efficient. i'd say rshammy needs some help.
09/06/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Wrèçk
09/06/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Zapp

haha don't feel down, might of just been me.

No it wasn't just you. I change to holy priest and immediately felt as if I was healing instead of just piddling around. I was told by a priest when I was on my shammy to 'keep up with the heals'. Would have loved to have seen them trying to on a shammy.
im staying on par with priests atm. but i am 345/347ilvl depending on what gear i throw on. alot of it has to do with the traits. swelling stream is huge, and concentrated mending helps.

thing is, we do well on stacked fights, when people dont stack you have to go with snipes or chain heals. chain heals cost alot so you cant spam that !@#$ or you go oom 4 min into fight.

im trying different builds and you probably need some tomes of the mind to change talents based on bosses and situation.

i havent used downpour since normal dungeons or wellspring. id be interested in what people think of those talents in uldir raiding
09/06/2018 06:51 PMPosted by Thunderhoof
im staying on par with priests atm. but i am 345/347ilvl depending on what gear i throw on. alot of it has to do with the traits. swelling stream is huge, and concentrated mending helps.

thing is, we do well on stacked fights, when people dont stack you have to go with snipes or chain heals. chain heals cost alot so you cant spam that !@#$ or you go oom 4 min into fight.

im trying different builds and you probably need some tomes of the mind to change talents based on bosses and situation.

i havent used downpour since normal dungeons or wellspring. id be interested in what people think of those talents in uldir raiding

I rarely use chain heal now, costs way to much mana for what it does. On the other hand i find downpour and wellspring to be fantastic. They are usually my second and third on the meeters.
Holy Paladins have more ST and more CDs. Much better in M+

Mistweaver dumps on our throughput.

Holy Priests are so overtuned right now nobody can compete really.

Disc Priest are really good for what they offer AND have more throughput than us. Still have better CDs as well.

Resto Druids are just all round better but aren't MW-HPriest tier. More throughput and better CDs.

We have two baseline CDs both of which are 3 minutes. HTT doesn't hit hard and is a joke in 5 mans. SLT is always good but is it worth 4-8khps?

We're by far the worst healers in 5mans and we don't even make up for it in raids. Warcraft logs is showing that only Hpala is below us but in reality they are tank healers that offer ALOT more than we do. We are the worst, by far.

inb4 : "utility"
We suffer from poor talents, poor throughput, and an incomplete toolkit for m+ dungeons.

I too don't have that much faith in Blizzard. How could they've missed this?
The same way they missed Elemental not being fun. Since Ion is a Resto that's the one spec I have faith in being fixed.

While HPS isn't everything, it kinda is. With the pruning, there's not much we offer that's special anymore and even then those talents are picked.

I'm starting to believe Blizzard actually thinks that Far Sight and Water Walking are core abilities that keep us from getting real functional abilities.
Resto is literally fine we as a community are having to accept the same thing as holy paladins. It is okay to not be the top dog for one raid tier.

Our output is fine , not the top but now low by any standard. A shaman 90 parce might be 17k while a disc 90 parce may be 21k. Thats it , thats the diffrence 4k. This is also assuming youre in a raid group where everyone is completely evenly skilled.

Our play style has changed. Adapt instead of demanding to make us insanely op. If you need some help with your rotation post logs , everyone here on a annonymous charecter with no logs to there name demanding buffs because other healers are doing "Twice" there output is spooky.
09/07/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Onô
Resto is literally fine we as a community are having to accept the same thing as holy paladins. It is okay to not be the top dog for one raid tier.

Our output is fine , not the top but now low by any standard. A shaman 90 parce might be 17k while a disc 90 parce may be 21k. Thats it , thats the diffrence 4k. This is also assuming youre in a raid group where everyone is completely evenly skilled.

Our play style has changed. Adapt instead of demanding to make us insanely op. If you need some help with your rotation post logs , everyone here on a annonymous charecter with no logs to there name demanding buffs because other healers are doing "Twice" there output is spooky.

Using Heroic Zekvoz the #1 Rsham parse is 22k hps, the #1 Holy Priest is 34k.

The 10th best RSham parse on Zekvoz is a low 21k while the 10th best priest parse is just a bit above 30k.

While that doesnt mean much in the big picture, just wanted to point out your argument is stupid.
#1......Did you just compare rank 1 in the world parces as a good example. #2 did you just compare a literal output healer to a shaman for balance?

When discussing balance you should pull from the 60-90 range , you shouldnt cherry pick a rank 1 fight. I can't have a argument if you think healer balance should revolve around rank 1 fights.

But sure lets humor this rank 1 arguement to see how totally not cherry picked it was.

Rank 1 Taloc - 20k Rank 1 Shammy - 18k Look at my cherry picked rank 1. there is only a 2k diffrence so wow.