So you're telling me... Blizz,

General Discussion
The higher ilvl gear I get (which becomes easier to aquire) requires a even higher HoA level?

So if I get a lucky (340+) drop i won't be able to unlock any traits because I'm stuck at HoA lvl 10?

I don't know how the hell you expect causals to keep up with this crap.
09/05/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Xanatas
The higher ilvl gear I get (which becomes easier to aquire) requires a even higher HoA level?

So if I get a lucky (340+) drop i won't be able to unlock any traits because I'm stuck at HoA lvl 10?

They want the casuals to quit, so ten the neckbeards get lonely and quit as well. Then they wont have to work on wow anymore and can make it free to play while putting mounts and skins behind microtransactions because their shareholder arent pleased.
Please tell me your being sarcastic. I honestly can't tell.

They will probably do something like artifact knowledge to boost people up like they did in legion. At least they made it easier to farm in the form of expeditions.. kind of easier.
Gear treadmill + farming AP treadmill. Who ever though of this at Blizzard most likely got an employee of the month award.
09/05/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Ickara

They will probably do something like artifact knowledge to boost people up like they did in legion. At least they made it easier to farm in the form of expeditions.. kind of easier.

Every week they cut the amount required in half. So even a small amount of farming will get you up a level a week. Still my new shoulders require 21 or 22 (if I remember correctly) for trait #2. By the time I get trait #4 I will most likely have upgraded and be back to trait #1.
AK kicks in each week, your HoA should start going up much faster. The AP from the raid, plus the island weekly should be more than enough to stay competitive.
I'm casual, and I'm keeping up with at least the first tier. So yeah. Not hard. Play game, get azerite.
09/05/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Hamstar
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Every week they cut the amount required in half. So even a small amount of farming will get you up a level a week. Still my new shoulders require 21 or 22 (if I remember correctly) for trait #2. By the time I get trait #4 I will most likely have upgraded and be back to trait #1.

I heard the reduction was 30%, but yes.

Another quick cheat is to save some of your emissary rewards to hand in after the reset when their worth increases. So keep two emissaries to hand in after the reset when the AP would be more of the level than before the reset.
yeah, as is im sitting on a few items that would be upgrades had i been able to use the traits but sadly, i have to use downgrades which just preform better because of their stats and traits that i can use.

i find the gearing this expac to be the dumbest thing blizz could have done, between RNG constantly screwing people over, to forced personal loot in raids, and even though they state that they wanted to try and make it so ilevel was always a direct upgrade, yet stats and traits have never been more relevant.
09/05/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Thuglife

They want the casuals to quit, so ten the neckbeards get lonely and quit as well. Then they wont have to work on wow anymore and can make it free to play while putting mounts and skins behind microtransactions because their shareholder arent pleased.

Hahahaha so true.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

That is kind of the point. You aren't supposed to aim for unlocking the last talent, it's there as a sort of backup. The idea is that by the time you have unlocked the 4th talent that you should have gotten an upgraded piece by then. The 5 ilvls is just a consolation prize, you've had sh!t luck with drops so here's some extra ilvls to hold you over till you get that upgrade.

It's really the first two, the first one specifically, that has the biggest impact on your character's effectiveness. The third one is just survival things and fairly small ones at that. I really haven't had any issues (at 120) having at least the first, and usually second as well, talents unlocked on upgraded Azerite pieces as soon as I get them. Now when it comes to the talents themselves, the disparity in how good certain ones are over others is kind of nuts, and the majority of strong ones are passive, boring talents, but that is a different discussion.

@OP it gets much easier to farm AP at 120. I remember feeling the same way while leveling, you get new pieces of gear (of increasingly higher quality as you level up) at a much higher rate than your neck upgrades. At 120 that ratio isn't as brutal, there are so many sources of AP at end game, plus high ilvl azerite gear is a bit harder to come by.
If you're stuck at HoA level 10 then God help you. Wait till you get to 18.

I'd like to consider myself a casual. I don't raid, I haven't PvP seriously since WotLK (plan to do so in BFA, but when I can find dedicated friends), I've maybe done only 5 dungeons total, if that. All I really do is WQs and mining.

My HoA is at 18, almost 19.

It's not really about being a casual. If I can get my HoA high enough while doing bare minimum effort, then anyone can.
Ion Hazzikostas' only purpose is to keep players playing longer. They think that if your goals take longer to complete, you'll naturally stay for longer to complete them. They are counting on that.

They don't seem to understand that it's having the opposite effect. I know I'm not dumb enough to keep grinding away on their idiotic Azerite treadmill for any longer. Level 17 and I'm completely burned out. They can take their expansion-specific grind treadmills and shove it.
09/05/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Odyn

which leads me to the reason why I made the comment that there's no way casuals are able to keep up with the people that are able to play 24/7. The only thing I have going for me is the fact that the requirements are cut in half every week.
09/05/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Xanatas
that there's no way casuals are able to keep up with the people that are able to play 24/7.

That is just downright false. Sure the folks who play all day every day will have higher levels, that is the way WoW has always been, full time players get to grind more. Duh, that's pretty obvious. But the casual players can absolutely keep up enough to unlock their gear upgrades and be competitive.

I am what you would consider a casual. I don't play 24/7, I have a full time job, friends I hang out with and other hobbies besides gaming. I play 2-3 hours a day on the weekdays, and maybe double that or so during the weekends, I just hit 20 on my neck last night.

There is tons of sources of AP at 120, you are low level. Just calm down and keep leveling, you haven't even reached the real game yet.
09/05/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Xanatas
09/05/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Odyn

which leads me to the reason why I made the comment that there's no way casuals are able to keep up with the people that are able to play 24/7. The only thing I have going for me is the fact that the requirements are cut in half every week.

You can get 2500 per week just by doing expeditions. You should be going up at least 1 level per week even if you are over 18.
I love this expansion. In the past I used to laugh at all the "There's nothing to do! Waaaaaaah!" threads.

Now I get to laugh at all the "Blizz just wants to up the time played metric by giving us so much to do! Waaaaaaah!" threads.

I get bonus laughs every time I see that "Blizz is purposely killing their own cash cow" conspiracy theory.
09/05/2018 08:37 AMPosted by Thuglife

They are alienating the neckbeards too, with the timegating. Tinfoil hat time: They want blindly loyal people who log in 2x a week, to keep server costs down I guess.