We complainers are not WoW's main demographic

General Discussion
The main demographics are people who have to luxury to stay at home and not work. Perhaps due to personal injury, perhaps they are wealthy or whatever it is, we are not the main demographic. We are the main consumers of their content, as those people only see high end dungeons/raids through paid runs. Those people buy battle pets when they come out. Or a new shiny mount. You think they level their alts? It's a $60 investment for them. Just wait until blizzard starts releasing skins for armor pieces. New raid pieces? Same art as T4 but recolored or whatever.

The demographic I am talking about will be hard pressed to leave the game. They have friends and a guild that they run normal and heroic dungeons with. Somethings WQs and they band together for old raids. I suspect blizzard has run the numbers and have hired psychologists to see the expected value from the demographic I speak of. The new raid; for those people? They will try the raid by themselves when they have ilvl380 gear or even 400 as a group. They need to make sure all azerite traits are unlocked before they do a +3 or even... a +4.

Before people complain that I haven't really done the new raid. I've tried it a little bit, but this is the first time I can say I see a new raid and have no desire to complete it. Maybe due to the pure randomness of loot, maybe I'm getting older or may the azerite and WQ system is absolutely terrible that it sucks the life out of the game for me.

Again, I suspect a million or two of those players in the demographic I speak of will generate more income for Blizzard than we will. So why cater to us? We aren't helping business. Every time an expansion comes out, us core 3-4 million players will most likely buy it and play it for a month or two. Hell we have been for a long time, why would things change. Maybe after some broken shore/tanaan/timeless patch comes out, we will resub to catch up and try the new stuff.

Yes this expansion is bad (for me at least), why? I don't find the dungeons fun. I would like to push keys but loot rngs makes it impossible for me to get new gear half the time. There's really not much change to gameplay. I feel like I'm still playing legion. Same rotation. Same talents. It's stale and it sucks but it's not intended for me any way.
World of Warcraft has always been focused on the casual player, not the stay at home play for days at a time gamers or what people like to call the 'whales' who spend large amounts of money on a game. So if you play this game casually, you are part of the main demographic, regardless of whether you choose to post on the forums or not.
fun fact: my husband and i recently moved to a new state because he got an incredibly amazing job offer.

i am currently not really working - i left behind a sizable clientele in my hometown and rebuilding that is just something I'm not sure is worth the effort at this juncture. i do some online work in my field with one company but its a minimal time investment on my part, a few hours a week.

i am lucky enough that right now, i dont have to work (and yes, i get the immense privilege in that). im basically a stay at home cat mom.

i am literally living the dream and i have ALL the time in the world to hardcore no-life this expansion. I was ready to do it too. I WANTED to, the way I used to while I have the chance. I think its fun. My husband is a hardcore auction house player so gold, tokens, etc.. not an issue.

I'm still bored as all hell with this expansion. I'd rather clean toilets with a toothbrush than do another world quest. I cant find a guild on this absymal dead server and i dont feel like transferring multiple accounts worth of toons and an entire gold making empire. My sub is paid for until next spring sometime thanks to tokens/bnet balance, so quitting wont send any kind of message.

if you cant make someone like me happy, what on earth is the target demographic?
09/07/2018 04:41 AMPosted by Shabos
The main demographics are people who have to luxury to stay at home and not work. Perhaps due to personal injury, perhaps they are wealthy or whatever it is, we are not the main demographic. We are the main consumers of their content, as those people only see high end dungeons/raids through paid runs. Those people buy battle pets when they come out. Or a new shiny mount. You think they level their alts? It's a $60 investment for them. Just wait until blizzard starts releasing skins for armor pieces. New raid pieces? Same art as T4 but recolored or whatever.

The demographic I am talking about will be hard pressed to leave the game. They have friends and a guild that they run normal and heroic dungeons with. Somethings WQs and they band together for old raids. I suspect blizzard has run the numbers and have hired psychologists to see the expected value from the demographic I speak of. The new raid; for those people? They will try the raid by themselves when they have ilvl380 gear or even 400 as a group. They need to make sure all azerite traits are unlocked before they do a +3 or even... a +4.

Before people complain that I haven't really done the new raid. I've tried it a little bit, but this is the first time I can say I see a new raid and have no desire to complete it. Maybe due to the pure randomness of loot, maybe I'm getting older or may the azerite and WQ system is absolutely terrible that it sucks the life out of the game for me.

Again, I suspect a million or two of those players in the demographic I speak of will generate more income for Blizzard than we will. So why cater to us? We aren't helping business. Every time an expansion comes out, us core 3-4 million players will most likely buy it and play it for a month or two. Hell we have been for a long time, why would things change. Maybe after some broken shore/tanaan/timeless patch comes out, we will resub to catch up and try the new stuff.

Yes this expansion is bad (for me at least), why? I don't find the dungeons fun. I would like to push keys but loot rngs makes it impossible for me to get new gear half the time. There's really not much change to gameplay. I feel like I'm still playing legion. Same rotation. Same talents. It's stale and it sucks but it's not intended for me any way.
I don’t agree. Working full time. Providing feedback so that Wow will improve and retain subscribers.
I’m no Vanilla player, but over the last few years, I’ve noticed the pace of the game seems to be increasing at the start of each expansion.....or should I say, the desired pace.

We will have this expansion for quite awhile, but people seem to want to get so much done so quickly and that can leave many people feeling left behind and disenchanted.

I’ve got 2 120s and 3 others at 111, cuz I can’t help myself. Lol. It will be weeks before I level them because I’m taking my time. I haven’t done the new Raid yet. My group runs on Sundays.

When I start feeling like I need to focus and get stuff done, I remind myself of this....very soon, people that rushed through content will be complaining about having nothing to do (not a judgement). I haven’t even experienced the Alliance side of the story yet.

There will always be people with everything, moving ahead and outpacing the rest of us. However, if you take a moment, I think you will realize that there will still be plenty of people moving at a more realistic pace.

Sorry you aren’t having fun right now. Hope it gets better for you.
09/07/2018 04:47 AMPosted by Carhagen
World of Warcraft has always been focused on the casual player, not the stay at home play for days at a time gamers or what people like to call the 'whales' who spend large amounts of money on a game. So if you play this game casually, you are part of the main demographic, regardless of whether you choose to post on the forums or not.

That is 100% false. Vanilla and BC were not vasual friendly. I doubt Cata was either.
09/07/2018 05:07 AMPosted by Shabos

That is 100% false. Vanilla and BC were not vasual friendly. I doubt Cata was either.

Compare to modern wow yes, but compared to other mmos out during that time vanilla and BC were very casual friendly
"Luxury", huh? Wow. That's really judgemental.
I mean, I work full time and have a full life outside of work and I still like WOW.
The main demographics are people who have to luxury to stay at home and not work.

Stopped reading after this.

Fulltime job, with occasional overtime, plenty of social time on weekends and several girlfriends since I started this game in 2004 and I've never had a problem progressing or getting what I want out of the game.

Same goes for my group of friends.

You're right, back in 2004 and 2007 the game wasn't as friendly to casuals. But that was 14 and 11 years ago respectfully. Since then the game became more casual friendly, starting in Wrath with the dungeon finder and abundance of daily quests, and then again in Cata (especially near the end when they added LFR).

Every expansion since then has added more flexibility for the casual player.

I dabbled a little in BC and it was pretty brutal for the casual player, I remember being stomped in...drawing a blank now, but the town in Westfall that had all the Defias roaming around...routinely. Then again in Redridge with the elite orcs, and so on. Leveling was fun but it was hard.

Joined for real in the tail end of Cata and it was kind of cupcake comparatively. Joined those new, shiny Dragon Soul LFRs without much of a clue as to what to do, but it was fun.
I wonder if OP has any sort of internal memo or business statement from Blizzard to support this claim.
I have no idea where to start with you, OP, because your post displays so many hopelessly invalid assumptions about players who aren't you.

Oh, by the way, according to everything I've ever read, Vanilla was casual friendly; in fact, that WoW was created in part to be a relatively casual friendly alternative to EverQuest. (Mind you, EverQuest must've been hell on wheels if Vanilla was casual by comparison.)

Did you play MMORPGs around 2000?

I tried out UO around that time (I think). If you didn't log in for about 5 days your gear deteriorated to a point that it couldn't be repaired, no matter how hard you had worked to get that gear.

I think skills degraded too.

Houses would rot away.

Get killed? You're on your own as far as getting rezzed. Maybe someone will point to a healer. There were no in-game clues. Oh, darn! You lost a bunch of XP from getting killed, too.
So, Shabos, do you have links to sources for your very subjective ideas? You know what, how about just a source inside blizzard? Just throwing this out there because your extremely jaded personal opinion makes me believe you want to be elitist but just dont cut it so you are displacing your frustrations on a couple demographics you casually threw together to make yourself feel better. Wow. Just wow.
The main demographics are people who have to luxury to stay at home and not work.

Stopped reading there because
1) source needed, other then the crack of your rear
2) that demographic of people in general is very low nation wide. that would be like saying the primary demographic of shoes are people with only one arm.
09/07/2018 05:26 AMPosted by Stoutlager

I tried out UO around that time (I think). If you didn't log in for about 5 days your gear deteriorated to a point that it couldn't be repaired, no matter how hard you had worked to get that gear.

Houses would rot away.

Get killed? You're on your own as far as getting rezzed. Maybe someone will point to a healer. There were no in-game clues. Oh, darn! You lost a bunch of XP from getting killed, too.

Less than 2% of the population did Naxxramas.
09/07/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Shabos
09/07/2018 05:26 AMPosted by Stoutlager

Houses would rot away.

Less than 2% of the population did Naxxramas.

*Citation needed.
Lol, less than 2% did Naxramis because of a great many reasons. One was that the honor system had changed and it was easier to get rank 14 gear than it was to get 40 people to raid and often get nothing for the week due to dkp or loot councils or someone else just being a tool.