Is Azerite A Failure?

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Check out this image from Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9doju7/this_azerite_gating_is_complete_bull!@#$_this/

Now, I don't like to complain, but I have notes...

That is literally the same piece of armor, with different AP level requirements. The whole thread is complaining about losing % dps everytime they equip a gear "upgrade", because of the requirements the Heart of Azeroth puts on us.
With 3 of our gear slots not having any secondary stats, we can't afford not to grind AP, since the Heart of Azeroth is likely to be your single most important source of secondary stats (unless you care about versatility, like monks), but the higher your AP level, the harder it is to unlock traits, because the traits appear to check your AP level, instead of being based off the item's level.

Even with the catch-up mechanic knocking off a % every week, if the trait requirements are, in-fact, tied to our AP levels, some traits will be consistently out of reach for anyone not able to no-life grind Azerite.

Talking it over with my guild, my server, and seeing the various threads, it appears that many players (myself, included) seem to feel like we're being punished whenever we get a higher ilevel piece of Azerite Armor, because we won't be able to unlock the trait and make it usable for days, or even weeks.

This requires clarification, if not an outright fix, because it appears that Blizzard has explicitly stated that they wanted item level to be a clear indication of an upgrade that could be used right away, and then gave us a gating system that produces the exact problem they wanted to fix
That's absolutely terrible design.

Edit: But apparently working as intended, as gear from WQ emissaries apparently have different azerite reqs. Yay.
+1 OP. What you said is spot-on. I get a piece of gear that's +15 ilvls from the dungeon piece I'm currently wearing, however I can't unlock the next trait until 3 weeks from now, yet it's an ilvl upgrade. So, the question becomes do I reduce my DPS and get squishy from lowering my traits with a higher ilvl item, or equip the high ilvl item to be invited to raids, pugs, etc.? Preacher discussed this issue on youtube, has decided to remain optimist that this is going to be fixed or changed, however he has zero inclination to play any of his alts in this expansion. On top of that, my dungeon gear is giving me better traits and a higher DPS than the gear I get from killing a raid boss that has a higher ilvl. Perhaps on paper this system looked great, but in practice it falls apart. I hope a blue post responds to this soon. It also reminds me of the players who stated that they felt weaker at 120 than they've ever felt. But I guess that was all intended too right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jn9snCkaKw&lc=z23myhwizvbiypgdcacdp4320yqm0acnk0wg1l0ikb5w03c010c.1536296489053619
Extremely alt-unfriendly to tie the HoA upgrades to character-specific rep. (I'm assuming Champions of Azeroth progress isn't account wide. Correct me if I'm wrong).
This whole system is a mess.
The new Azerite trait system feels awful. You are excited for a new armor upgrade, until you realize you won't be able to unlock the traits for 3-4 months because of time-gating on the neck piece.

Certain 340 azerite gear require way higher neck levels than other 340 azerite gear, which makes no sense, even with same abilities.

There is no reasonable to way level up your azerite neck anyway. Everything feels so constricting. I have a feeling too, that once people actually DO end up unlocking the higher level gear traits, the next set of gear will come out making them once again require even LARGER amount of azerite power.

They implemented this system with no way of average players even being able to use the traits. On top of that, the traits are mostly boring passives that do not change gameplay, or playstyle.

This has failed system written all over it. Blizz, if you actually read these forums, lower the neck level requirements on these Azerite traits so we can actually use them!
Yes it is. It was a huge mistake to make it the focus of the entire xpac. i dont even care about it at all.
09/07/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Lijiang
This requires clarification, if not an outright fix, because it appears that Blizzard has explicitly stated that they wanted item level to be a clear indication of an upgrade that could be used right away, and then gave us a gating system that produces the exact problem they wanted to fix

It seems like a miscalculation of where most players would be with neck level to me.

If people had a few more neck levels, then the traits would at least be comparable.

That, or with AK growth week over week, it will become a non-issue in a few weeks. We'll still be a ways out from completing this tier.
09/07/2018 09:27 AMPosted by Nephis
This whole system is a mess.

My thoughts exactly. It's as if you're punished for getting a higher ilvl item, by progressing backwards.
I can see it now

"Hey guys let implement a system where we make people grind endlessly for upgrades that don't do anything, or set the player back."

"the share holders will love this, that time played goal will be hit with ease"

No one wants to run around with 8 sets of shoulders, helms and chest...with no secondary stats, this system is indeed trash
Check out this image from Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9doju7/this_azerite_gating_is_complete_bull!@#$_this/

Even with the catch-up mechanic knocking off a % every week, if the trait requirements are, in-fact, tied to our AP levels, some traits will be consistently out of reach for anyone not able to no-life grind Azerite.

[/quote]

That is Blizzard's intent.
Next expac couldn't come soon enough.
I dunno. I find this system to be just fine. I'm not running into these huge issues with Azerite traits where I'm losing massive DPS just because one of the traits won't be unlocked for a few days.

It just seems like another way for blizzard to smooth out the character progression for everyone. In the end we all get to feel like we are making progress even if we don't get drops in a given week.

In the end I could take it or leave it, just like the Legion system.
I personally like the system. There really isn't any way Blizzard can do it that people would like. Make it all ridiculously easy to have all the traits, then what's the point in the system existing? Where's the carrot on the stick? That was a mistake they did in beta towards the end. They nerfed it really hard and you had 18 by the time you finished questing and it was like "Why does the system even exist now?

Similarly if they did something like making you have all traits but your necklace level impacted how high they scaled people would cry about it being unfair.

The system encourages you to play the game, on that premise alone people hate it. Like Pathfinder.
No one liked it in Legion and somehow Blizzard managed to make it feel worse. I will admit that some of the azerite traits are cool but I wish they had effects to them so I know when they're going off
I think they've decided the playerbase as a whole is too stupid to figure these things out, so they don't even bother trying to hide this kind of crap anymore.

I have stopped caring about my BFF necklace level and I have stopped caring if I can unlock lackluster traits anymore.

The constantly moving gate post syndrome that Blizzard is in love with now is tiresome and old.

I'll see how long I enjoy the content the way I can before they try shoving their one vision at me again.
It's better to just come back the last year of the expansion it seems. That way there is a catch up for everything except the Champions of Azeroth rep thing which is so beyond stupid. Seriously I'm getting more and more annoyed by the day.
I want my artifacts back, plz.

My issue with Azerite Armor is that its traits feel boring, lacking, and uninspired when compared with artifact traits. Besides, is that all there is a sour Azerite Armor? Only head, chest and shoulder or are they adding more in future patches? Because if they are not adding more, then I would think they got rid of tier sets and artifact weapons out of pure lazines.
It's been interesting to see how this has effected player mindset in my guild. People are annoyed to get more azerite gear, because it could have been another piece that's an actual upgrade (like gloves / boots / rings / weapon). Instead, it's another sidegrade piece, with most of its functionality several weeks out of reach.

Everyone who was spamming world quests spent the first couple days after reset spamming mythics. Now everyone has a bunch of gear they can't use, and realizes that they don't have any interest in doing the activities that will unlock the traits.
09/07/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Raij
It's better to just come back the last year of the expansion it seems. That way there is a catch up for everything except the Champions of Azeroth rep thing which is so beyond stupid. Seriously I'm getting more and more annoyed by the day.

Totally what I'm thinking. I had lots of fun at the end of the last patch. Five alts rolling with good ilvl and mostly-maxed artifact weapons. Good times.

Then it was about what fun thing do I want to do and with what character? It's like a real game!