Does ANYONE like RNG gearing?

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
While leveling, it's fine. RNG on end game gear has to be one of the dumbest ideas Blizzard has ever come up with.
09/07/2018 12:31 AMPosted by Ármstrong
I am guessing 99.99% do not. It is even worse for PVP players. It is a joke to PVE RNG gear for competitive PVP.

Also, you can invest a lot of time and effort into this game to progress, while your guildmate does absolutely nothing and gets better gear than you. That is a recipe for "goodbye Felicia"

Honestly have you ever played an MMORPG? That's a good chunk of the replay value and the appeal. Imagine a game where you get every piece you want right at the beginning and then all the replay value hinges on you not getting bored of the same content. Sounds like a game where you'd get bored and leave anyway. Most of the charm is building your character STEADILY over a period of time. If that's not you then that's not you man.
It speeds up raids and throws out loot arguments. I like it.
09/07/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Hulkstir
It speeds up raids and throws out loot arguments. I like it.

Everyone getting loot or a token which can be used for loot would certainly accomplish this as well.
^ this
but 99.99% keep paying that monthly sub.so they must like it.
no they tolerate it because there is nothign else for them, but that doesnt mean they have to stay quiet about it, hence this forum topic
09/07/2018 12:33 AMPosted by Shackleton
Oh look, another whinging idiot that is new to WoW.

Welcome to WoW, where if you play the game you get random loot, same as ever.

Also if you play alliance rogue you get special attention from my axe, so look forward to that too.

Cry more.

Not sure what’s possessing you to be this edgy, but maybe we need to have an intervention. No more Mountain Dew after 6 PM!
To me, honestly, any "gearing" is just boring crap I have to get out of the way to do what I want to do. It's a part of why I like the leveling process, where for most of it I can just throw on heirlooms and forget about it.

But, wading through boring crap in order to do what you want has been a part of the game since launch. So, it's not too big a deal for me.
09/07/2018 12:31 AMPosted by Ármstrong
I am guessing 99.99% do not. It is even worse for PVP players. It is a joke to PVE RNG gear for competitive PVP.

Also, you can invest a lot of time and effort into this game to progress, while your guildmate does absolutely nothing and gets better gear than you. That is a recipe for "goodbye Felicia"

I love that pve gear is viable in pvp now. Puts everyone on a more even playing field, especially in world pvp. Although the pvp veterans still have an edge because they've developed better pvp tactics. While the pve guys are basically trying to maximize their damage and get completely thrown off when their opponent starts LOSing or ccing them more strategically than they're used to.
I don't... dislike it. It's just the way the game works, and I like playing the game. So... *shrug*

Also if you play alliance rogue you get special attention from my axe, so look forward to that too.

Cry more.

Oh look, another guy who makes himself feel better about his shortcomings by using ancient, hackneyed insults he learned in fifth grade.

WoW, in fact, used to have a pretty healthy mix of gear you earned and gear that was randomly dropped.

It isn't good for the game when a person gets aced out of guild raids because of sheer bad luck. Some of that is on the players, too many of whom care way too much about the numbers in situations where beating a boss really isn't the issue, speed is. A good raider shouldn't be replaced because clearing a boss might take a little longer, in my opinion. But this is the game and the players now, and it is on Blizzard to not make players almost entirely dependent on dumb luck.
I skip WQ's with gear rewards unless it's a baseline upgrade. I'm not into gambling.
09/07/2018 05:18 AMPosted by Cyouskin
09/07/2018 05:03 AMPosted by Amine
I really don't get what your complaint is. You said you don't get useful gear but it appears you do. You said you want to earn your gear and the game already provides plenty of opportunity to do that. You say you don't like titanforging but you use the term I was lucky to describe your 355+ socket piece.

Are you just unhappy because some other guy might get a piece of titanforged gear from a WQ ? Or because you can't get guaranteed gear from the type of content you want to restrict yourself to ?

I can still benefit from the current system, though I don't have to like it.

My complaint is pretty complex, so I'll just list out the factors:
- Uncapped Titanforging is bad. (LFR gear rolling Mythic quality, I don't like how it's even possible, regardless of the chance.)

- I think Thunderforging would be perfectly acceptable. (Limited Titanforging, like +5/10/15. A Mythic 2 box drops 345. At best, it would be 360.)

- I dislike the shear amount of RNG in the game and would like to have more control. (BLP is a baid-aid fix to an RNG issue. Currencies, such as JP/VP, would be what I prefer.)

- Throwing loot at me makes it a dull reward. I don't care I get loot, I care if it Titanforges. The system is built around receiving a ton of drops, it is what it is. I don't think that's particularly fun. I was actually happy that weapons were hard to get. Yeah, I cursed at guild members who got their weapons, but when I got mine it felt really, really good.

- I want equipment/gear to be less common, but I want control over my bad luck protection. Grinding JP/VP was fine. WQs offering weaker loot is fine, but they can still TF. While I'm grinding JP/VP I might get a TF item. I'd feel lucky, but that'd be RNG being RNG. If I didn't get that lucky drop, I'd have the JP/VP to cover it within a reasonable amount of time.

What this boils down to: Too much loot dulls the excitement of receiving loot. I simply dislike gear progression in WoW.

And this other person in the thread is saying not enough gear, they can't make any progress.

You said you barely play now, but I suspect that person who can't make progress is playing less than 10 hours a week. I am retired now so I probably am playing 30 hours a week but I mostly do world content. Someone who does dungeons, plus world content, plus raids and who plays for 30 hours a week is going to see 5 to 10 times more pieces of gear than I will. The game needs to accommodate people with different playstyles.

I think yesterday I didn't have a single gear WQ I could do except for those azerite pieces. Right now, in my opinion if you just do WQ, you have a hard time gearing up - there isn't enough gear from just that source. I have never found running normal and heroic dungeons worth my time to get gear because it drops so rarely. Mythic dungeons is just about the only content I can see that gives a lot of gear.

World content gear can't be weaker if they have zone scaling. I got beta in May and I barely played it once I hit 120 because the world content was too tedious/hard/slow to do. It wasn't enjoyable, I am sure blizzard is losing people this expansion because of the difficulty of world content with the gear it provides.

There is nothing wrong with titanforging being in the game or a piece of gear dropping in LFR and titanforging to mythic gear because it happens so rarely that it doesn't impact anything. That is a personal issue people have I believe because you don't like LFR.
In the past the rng in the game was balanced with points you could accumulate to buy pretty decent gear. These points were called valour points. For some reason I can't fathom that system that always worked was ditched. Now there is only rng.
09/07/2018 06:30 AMPosted by Spinster

Cry more.

Oh look, another guy who makes himself feel better about his shortcomings by using ancient, hackneyed insults he learned in fifth grade.

WoW, in fact, used to have a pretty healthy mix of gear you earned and gear that was randomly dropped.

It isn't good for the game when a person gets aced out of guild raids because of sheer bad luck. Some of that is on the players, too many of whom care way too much about the numbers in situations where beating a boss really isn't the issue, speed is. A good raider shouldn't be replaced because clearing a boss might take a little longer, in my opinion. But this is the game and the players now, and it is on Blizzard to not make players almost entirely dependent on dumb luck.

You realize there is guaranteed ways to get raid quality gear in the game right now by earning it ? Just trot down to that auction house and buy it. Sure you have to spend a bit of time earning the gold, doing something different than running your instances but it is guaranteed.
Wait hasnt there been rng loot since vanilla?
09/07/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Morsdei

Honestly have you ever played an MMORPG? That's a good chunk of the replay value and the appeal. Imagine a game where you get every piece you want right at the beginning and then all the replay value hinges on you not getting bored of the same content. Sounds like a game where you'd get bored and leave anyway. Most of the charm is building your character STEADILY over a period of time. If that's not you then that's not you man.

Funny....eve does exactly this and has been around a while. Some mmorpu players do like more static options.

Some of the things that spices it up is theory crafting. With most gear readily available off the market (some stuff like good officer gear is hard to find if no one sells) you can explore options on a mere whim. Vice wow where, yeah, you can have your whims...but until RNG says fine they are not possible.

Have the money? get your item(s), enjoy....Ship and or fit gets boring change it out.

And going back to fantasy I think some people thinking its an RPG. They want to be King Arthur, they'd be happy getting that 1 excalibur. Very immersive that. It was the sword of the kings, and jsut the one sword.

Vice you know...king arthur questing for weeks on end to find the next best excalibur. then the next...then the next. What ya gonna do with the old excalibur King? Scrap it man...its junk now.

I know. WoW has ALWAYS been RNG gear drops
Have to agree removing justice/valor points was super lame. It gave people a chance to get some loot if they got unlucky and did not get any drops in dungeons or raids that week. Was a really good system of progression imo.

I also do not understand why Blizzard stopped having dungeons give rep, or farming of rep/token items in the open world. Used to be a certain rep was tied to a dungeon and then it changed and you could champion a faction and get rep from any dungeon for said faction. Or you could go to an some areas of the world and farm rep from mobs by getting tokens to trade in.

Those were small brilliant systems that allow people to make progress at THEIR own pace while running group content or solo.